3rd Trimester
Options

How far away do you consider "travel?"

Ok, I know the rules about not traveling too close to your due date. But.... how far away from the hospital is too far? (I apologize if this gets asked all the time - I didn't see anything recent!)

There is a family reunion ON my due date, about 90 min from hospital. I'm not terribly committed to going or not going, but I admit part of me feels silly skipping it if I don't have the kid for another 2 weeks, you know? I'm a FTM, so I'm operating under the assumption of "start of labor" is not going to immediately = baby, and it would be totally acceptable to plan to go and bail if it seemed like things were happening. My husband would come as well, and we'd have the bag and seat and such in the car.

Thoughts?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My blog

Re: How far away do you consider "travel?"

• Options
    102007102007 member
    Oh, and FWIW, there are in-network hospitals near the reunion.

My blog
  • Options
    I would think that the biggest problem is you  being uncomfortable in the car or at the reunion on your due date. I traveled over an hour away, 3 days overdue, with my DS and everything was fine. I think your body will tell you if you shouldn't go.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    JAWMINJAWMIN member
    I was told not to go more than 60 minutes away.

W (02/2009), N (08/2012), and C (04/2014)
  • Options
    I think you could totally go if you want to go, but if you're in the mood to skip it, people will totally understand. The best of both worlds! If you go and start feeling the startings of labor, you still have plenty of time to get home. And, worst case scenario, if your water breaks at the reunion and your doctor wants you to rush in immediately (which they don't always want you to do), there are those other hospitals nearby.
  • Options
    More than 45 minutes away.
    A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• Options

imagejociejones:
    I think you could totally go if you want to go, but if you're in the mood to skip it, people will totally understand. The best of both worlds! If you go and start feeling the startings of labor, you still have plenty of time to get home. And, worst case scenario, if your water breaks at the reunion and your doctor wants you to rush in immediately (which they don't always want you to do), there are those other hospitals nearby.

ditto all of this 

• Options
    Kie310Kie310 member

Anything over 2 hours would worry me personally. I already live about 40 minutes from the hospital I use, so if you haven't progressed at all by 40 weeks I wouldn't think twice about going.

Though I agree - it might be uncomfortable for that long a drive

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    sbb123sbb123 member
    I would not want to drive 90 minutes cramped in a car having contractions...if you did start having them. eek.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    My OB said if I am okay with the car ride and okay with delivering in the hospital where we are going, then go. For you, it sounds like you can plan to go and then make your final decision at the last minute!
    Married August 14, 2011 Gave birth to our beautiful baby girl on September 17, 2012
  • Options
    As long as there was a hospital and I wasn't set on having my DR deliver I would travel anywhere for the right reason.  I however, want my Dr and my hospital, so I will not go more then an hour in traffic at this point, so depending on the day or time of the event we make our decision.  
  • Options

imagesbb123:
    I would not want to drive 90 minutes cramped in a car having contractions...if you did start having them. eek.

This. I think I'll stay within an hour of home once I get that close.

• Options
    I'm staying within an hour of my hospital for the rest of my pregnancy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My OB told me not to go much further away from the hospital than I already live (40mins) the 4 weeks prior to my due date. I work about 1hr from the hospital and that is as far as I plan to go within 4 weeks of my due date.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    jw87jw87 member
    I live an hour and 15 minutes away from my hospital so to me, it's not a big deal if you're set on going.

That being said, there is a family reunion soon for us and it's 15 minutes away and we're not going, lol.  I do not want to be out in the heat with lots of extended family rubbing my belly! 
  • Options
    My OB has advised me not to travel more than 2 hours away once I am 36 weeks.
  • Options
    I personally wouldn't go.. But that's me. What if u get there ... An hr later ur water breaks? Then another 1.5 hr drive? I dunno maybe I Woukd rather be safe than sorry. as pp mention there is a hospital close u coukd use but then ur dr won't be there ... I just wouldn't chance it; again jmo
    lolololo
  • Options
    I don't think I would be going.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    I was always told no travel further than 1 hour from the hospital once you hit 36 weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"