September 2012 Moms
Options

Choosing a pediatrician?

I have read through all of the checklists and questions to ask when interviewing pediatricians, but I'm still not sure what's common practice when choosing a doctor. 

For those of you who have a pediatrician, do you just call and schedule a meeting with the doctor?  Do you have to pay for an office visit?  Do you have to "officially" ask the doctor to be your pediatrician? 

They mentioned at my childbirth class that the pediatrician will visit in the hospital, so I feel like I need to have something set in place before the baby is born.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Choosing a pediatrician?

• Options
    I chose a pediatrician based on friend's recommendations.  I called to see if he was taking new patients, they said I could meet to ask him questions but it wasn't necessary.  I figured I wouldn't really know what to ask and I trust my friends so I said that wasn't necessary.  The hospital should have a pediatrician on call, my pediatrician isn't connected with the hospital I'll be delivering at so the on call pediatrician will visit us in the hospital.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagemavs41:
    The hospital should have a pediatrician on call, my pediatrician isn't connected with the hospital I'll be delivering at so the on call pediatrician will visit us in the hospital.

This.  We decided to use a doctor at the same family care practice my husband uses.  She focuses on peds and women's health, so she'll be my/DD's PCP.  We made what's called a *pre-care* appt, just to make sure we were on the same wavelength; it gave us an hour or so to meet her and ask some questions.  The hospital will send her all of my/DD's info after delivery, and we'll go from there.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Manx4Manx4 member

Call and ask the receptionist that is the reason you want to set up an appointment, they'll schedule you for a "Q&A" session with the doctor. 

I don't think you have to pay for the Q&A session - you're not getting any medical advice and/or help - you're interviewing them for the job of being your child's doctor.  

You'll want to know if they make the rounds at your hospital, if not, you'll be seen by the pedi on call at the hospital and then your pedi you choose will tell you when s/he wants to see LO after you're discharged - usually within 1-4 days after discharge.  

You can call and ask for that appointment when you leave the hospital, they keep a few slots open for that very reason - so they can fit you in.  You'll want to show up early to fill out paperwork and such since LO will be a new patient.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I went based on friends in my city and then called and set up a meeting.  Not all docs will do a meet and greet, at least from what the pedi that came to our baby classes said.

We went to our "interview" and really just chatted for around 30 minutes--it was very informal and really helpful.  He'll even come to our home for the post hospital visit because they don't like new babies to be around sick kids that come into the office.  I thought that was really cool.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options
    imageMarisaKathleen:

He'll even come to our home for the post hospital visit because they don't like new babies to be around sick kids that come into the office.  I thought that was really cool.

Good to know!  A good question for a potential doctor.

• Options
    imageManx4:

Call and ask the receptionist that is the reason you want to set up an appointment, they'll schedule you for a "Q&A" session with the doctor. 

I don't think you have to pay for the Q&A session - you're not getting any medical advice and/or help - you're interviewing them for the job of being your child's doctor.  

You'll want to know if they make the rounds at your hospital, if not, you'll be seen by the pedi on call at the hospital and then your pedi you choose will tell you when s/he wants to see LO after you're discharged - usually within 1-4 days after discharge.  

You can call and ask for that appointment when you leave the hospital, they keep a few slots open for that very reason - so they can fit you in.  You'll want to show up early to fill out paperwork and such since LO will be a new patient.  

Thanks for the helpful information!

• Options

Here's the method I used. FTR, my hospital doesn't have your pedi come. Rather, while LO is in the hospital, the hospital ped took care of her. After discharge, I saw my normal ped. 

1) check insurance to find an in network ped

2) map their location 

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Options

Here's the method I used. FTR, my hospital doesn't have your pedi come. Rather, while LO is in the hospital, the hospital ped took care of her. After discharge, I saw my normal ped. 

1) check insurance to find an in network ped

2) map their locations. Do you want one close to home/work, consider traffic, etc

3) I called and asked if they had nicu/preemie experience. If you have any requests that are near and dear to your heart (like not vaxing), call around to find a ped that has the same thought process as you

4) call a ped and ask to meet/interview them. Pretty much by this point, as long as I didn't go screaming from the hills after talking to the ped, I was going to go with them. There was no cost for this "visit".  

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"