Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Road Trip Tips?

Happy Tuesday all! My SO and I are going on a mini vacation this weekend with his sister and husband, it's only about a 1.5-2 hr drive, but that's the longest DD has been in a car seat, taking the 20 min to the grocery store sometimes gets her antsy. Just wondering if you had any tips on how to make this the most pleasant drive possible, AND what can we take for her at the beach, other than the usual umbrella, sunscreen, extra swimming diapers etc..have you found something that was fun for your LO in the sand/water??

Also, my SO and his BIL are going to be staying Friday night, and then leaving us girls Saturday/Saturday night for a girls retreat, how can I make their drive home easier since I will not be there? Not saying he won't be able to manage, but like a lot of men, he gets frustrated very easily when DD is in the car screaming... :( 

Any tips would be appreciated, and maybe a packing check list that you found helpful for your LO if you have stayed away from home base, and in a foreign place.  

Re: Road Trip Tips?

• Options

Driving during naptime sometimes works - she might sleep the whole way if you're lucky. On the trip back when it's just the two guys, one of them could sit in the back with her and entertain her if she gets fussy. Food also usually works...

For the beach, take a little toy shovel and/or sand rake. DS likes playing with those in the sand. If she likes going in the water and the waves won't be too bad, you could take one of those floaty seats for infants. DS enjoys just sitting on the shore and letting the water come up around him. He REALLY likes the water, though - I know other babies don't enjoy it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Ms5586Ms5586 member

We do 4-5 hour drives once a month or so.  Time your drive to her sleeping schedule.  Can you drive during a usual naptime, or leave super early in the morning, or in the evening at bedtime?  Bedtime works best for our LO.  I do his normal bedtime routine while DH packs the car.  Instead of laying him in his crib, we put him in his seat (same blanket and lovey as what's normally in his crib). 

Pack a bag of toys and snacks.  If she is awake, she may need you or DH to be in the backseat to entertain her.  I packed a huge bag of toys last time, and when he would start to fuss, I'd grab a new one.  We had links, music toys, bath books, board books, apps and Baby Einstein on the iPod, bubbles, puffs to eat, balls, etc. all in one bag for him.  We have a mirror in the back so he can see himself.  We sang songs, played finger games.

FX she will do better than you hope.  Just expect that drive to maybe stretch out closer to 3 hours in case she does need to stop along the way.  We can do our Friday night 4 hour drive with one stop, but Sunday coming back (not at his normal bedtime, earlier in the day), we usually have to stop twice.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We found that if we crack the window LO calms down and usually falls asleep. We've done 6-7hr trips. I would pack normal diaper bag things, but also make sure you have some toys for LO, maybe some different ones to make sure she doesn't get bored. Also take a lovey and some recognizable things from home. 

Our LO got a beach ball from one of my aunts, and it has become one of his favorite toys, so maybe that.  he loves throwing and rolling it to us and catching it...or just chasing it down. Make sure you have a sunhat.

Have fun!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    I give my LO things to play with that she's never or rarely seen - a big spoon, a business card, a watering can, my hat.  For 3 hr trips I'll sit back with her sometimes and do finger games, etc.

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"