August 2012 Moms

didn't know I was in labor!! - birth story

I have another August turned July baby.  I am a second time mom and didn't know I was in labor.  At my 36 week appt I was 4 cm, 50% effaced and progressed to 4.5cm at my 37 week appt, and doctor predicted that I wouldn't make it to my 38 week appt. DS1 was induced 5 days early due to PIH, and even with induction my labor was only 12 hours and I only pushed for 30 minutes.  The doctor warned me to call as soon as I had any regular contractions, even if they were 15 minutes apart because she was predicting a fast labor.  So, on Wednesday (37 wks 6 days), I met a friend at the mall to walk.  We walked a mile, had lunch, let our kids play a bit, and browsed a couple stores.  I started feeling a pain in the left side of my stomach.  Didn't feel like a contraction.  Best I can describe it is a pulling feeling, somewhere in between an ache and a sharp pain on the left side about even with my belly button.  Went home, took a nap with DS1.  Woke up, made dinner and then DH and I took DS on a walk and to play on the playground.  Still had the pain but felt slightly less uncomfortable while resting.  Next morning woke up and still had pain.  Took DS to daycare and went to 2 Targets to take advantage of their July toy clearance.  Called my mom and asked her if she thought I should be concerned by the pain I was having.  She told me to call the doctor to be sure.  So I called and talked to the nurse and she said to monitor at home for a couple hours and then call back, but thought I'd be headed to the hospital that afternoon.  So I had lunch, rested a little and tried to get the house in order in case we'd be gone for a couple days.  Called the doctor back at 2pm and the nurse said to head to the hospital.  Called DH and told him to come get me.  We got to the hospital around 3:30.  Got into a room and did registration paperwork.  Waited around to be checked.  Resident came in around 5pm and checked.  I was 6cm about 80% effaced and having contractions every 2 minutes.  I am completely honest when I tell you that I had no idea I was having contractions every 2 minutes.  She went to tell my OB and have them check me in to a L&D room.  Once I got into my room they suggested getting the epidural since they thought I would progress quickly.  Felt kind of silly since I couldn't feel my contractions, but agreed.  Successful epidural placement on the 4th try, ugh, not fun.  Got checked again and was at 7cm 100% effaced, so they broke my water.  Around 9pm a nurse came in to set up the room with the equipment for delivery.  At about 9:15 my nurse came to empty my bladder to see if that would help baby get into final position.  As soon as my bladder was empty I felt I was ready to push, so she called the doctor in.  I pushed for about 5 minutes through 3 contractions, and at 9:38pm Camden Jacob was born weighing 6lbs 12 oz and 19" long.  I couldn't have had an easier delivery, but it could have ended up very differently had I not called the doctor about a random pain.  So listen to your bodies ladies and don't feel silly calling the doctor for what may seem like a minor concern!  Good luck to those still waiting for the big day!

Re: didn't know I was in labor!! - birth story

• Kasi80Kasi80 member
    Wow!  That's a great story but so crazy that it's possible to not know you're in labor.  I worry about this as well.  Thanks for sharing!!
    CRAFTY ME

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    my read shelf:
    Kasi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • That sounds like the perfect labor!  Glad to hear everything went well, and congrats on your new little man.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• Loading the player...
  • Seriously send me some of that labor dust please!  LOL!  Congrats!!

Mom of 2 monkeys and 1 on the way!
           Christian12/06, Liam 08/12, Monkey #3 10/10 

• ccamccam member
    Wow - congrats!!

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• wow, what a story! congratulations!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Wow, I hope mine goes that smoothly!! Congrats!

Proud Mama to cleft cutie <3
  • Thanks for sharing! Congrats on the little man! 
  • WOW!!! Send some special Labor dust my way :)!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS, Camden is a very cute name!

• I hope I'm that lucky! LOL Congrats :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"