2nd Trimester

NBR: Window Locks? STM's+- Edited to clarify

I posted this on the 24 Months+ board yesterday and got only one response, so I'll ask here.

I have googled everywhere and can't seem to find a definitive answer as to what's best.  What solution(s) did you come up with for locking windows, especially on a second floor? 

Until recently I've been keeping the windows closed or only opening the top, but now that DS is getting more brave about finding things to pull over and climb on, I need to get these windows secured better.  Thanks!

ETA:  Sorry I wasn't clear.  The windows lock with the normal lock when they are closed, and that is secure.  But, if I unlock and open the window from the top, the bottom is also unlocked and can be pushed up at that point.  I need something that will either hold the bottom window down while the top is open, or something that will securely stay across the bottom window so that I can open the windows without him being able to open or lean against the screen.  I was just wondering what others have done to resolve this problem, if anything.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
Our little man is getting bigger every day!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
My BFP Chart
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NBR: Window Locks? STM's+- Edited to clarify

• So your windows don't lock?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagedrpayne:
    So your windows don't lock?

Sorry - this was my first thought too.  Our windows lock very securely with the hardware they were installed with and there is no way DS could unlock them - even if he could find a way to get high enough to reach the locks . . .  

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • Loading the player...
  • imagedrpayne:
    So your windows don't lock?

Sorry I wasn't clear, I will edit my original post with an explanation. 

BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    My BFP Chart
  • AHA!  That makes much more sense!  Unfortunately 1) we have old school crank open windows and 2) we can't leave them open when DS is around because the window is either fully open or fully closed - and as you mentioned when they are fully open the risk of him leaning against the screen is just too risky.

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • imagelittlemaybaby:

AHA!  That makes much more sense!  Unfortunately 1) we have old school crank open windows and 2) we can't leave them open when DS is around because the window is either fully open or fully closed - and as you mentioned when they are fully open the risk of him leaning against the screen is just too risky.

glad that cleared things up ;o)

It's the weirdest thing that I haven't found a clear "this product is great" anywhere yet.  Our windows are only three years old, so unfortunately they are very easy to push up, so that's why I worry.  Luckily DS hasn't discovered how to open them yet because I just have always kept them closed when he is home.  I will have to look at them again to see if there is a mechanism that will keep the lower window down while the top is open.  If not, I guess I'll keep looking...

My BFP Chart
  • Our windows slide open to the side and I have little clamps that I got at the hardware store that cinch tight onto the rail and will only allow the window to open to the point of where you tighten the clamp to.  I think it was just called a window stop.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    'Til He returns, or calls me home,
    Here in the power of Christ I stand.
  • I want to get those fall protector bars for the 2nd floor windows, if they will work with ours. We have casement, AND both vertically and horizontally sliding, all in the same rooms.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • They do sell little clamps that screw into place on the metal part of the window frame (like on the track/slide part if that makes sense).  You can space them however you want.  If you screw them into place 6 inches or so above the closed window, it will only open that far.  I hope that makes sense.  I have no clue what they're called.  I'm sure someone at home depot or lowes could help?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"