December 2011 Moms

Sleep training starts next week

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Re: Sleep training starts next week

• Yes, we did use the sleep easy solution at my pedi's suggestion but we used it to nap train first (also at her suggestion).  She said from her experiences (she has 5 kids) that if she got her kids to nap well (and to be tired but not overly tired) at bedtime then they automatically started sleeping better at night.  We nap trained at around 5 months and he got the hang of it in about 3 days, around the 4th or 5th night he slept through with no wake ups (from 4 months on it had been at least 1-8 per night).   We have still had some rough spots since but overall I think the schedule that the book outlines works well for my DS.  He never cries when I lay him down for his 1st 2 naps of the day, his 3rd nap is hit or miss, he will sometimes fuss for a few minutes but then he goes to sleep.  He goes to bed every night very peacefully, talking or "singing" to himself as we call it.  

One suggestion that I do have is creating a nap time routine.  Every time I go to lay him down for a nap (and bedtime), we go into the nursery, lights off, rock for the length of time it takes to sing 3 songs.  (He usually lays his head down on my shoulder by the time the 2nd song ends).  I then lay him down, kiss him, tell him it's nap time/bedtime, and that I love him.  I think it's good for him to know what to expect.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 0015-1
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Our oldest didn't STTN until 10 months! I started ferber at 6 months, and that worked great until he got RSV, and then we ferbered again at 10 months after not being able to function, and he's been sleeping like a rock ever since, I'm a believer!
    imageimage

• We have tried a few methods. We did Ferber at 6 months but he started teething and we stopped. Then we did no cry sleep solution but I just never fully invested and got impatient. We just stared Ferber again three nights ago and although he still wakes its less frequent and doesn't require me to tend to him most wake ups. 

He also finally is in his crib 100% of the night for the first time. He goes down awake and with either no crying or maybe 2-3 minutes of whining/crying. Most wake ups we watch on the monitor and there is no crying. He basically sits up, bobbles until he falls over and sleeps again. Sometimes he cries and walks end to end in his crib until he falls over and sleeps. Sometimes he blows raspberries at the door for a few minutes. Usually he is asleep before the first check. I went from nursing 4-6 times a night to 1-2 times a night.  

His combined total sleep time went from 6-7 hours to typically 10 hours now. We have to wake him lately at 6am as while training they have to be woken at their typical wake time. He is happy ALL day and smiley when we get him. I know he is nowhere near STTN and he never has STTN, and that's ok. I just want him in his crib and not needing me to nurse, rock, or sing him back to sleep for hours.  

Lilypie - (ovfd)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • imagemtb21:
    imagehlc820:

We have tried a few methods. We did Ferber at 6 months but he started teething and we stopped. Then we did no cry sleep solution but I just never fully invested and got impatient. We just stared Ferber again three nights ago and although he still wakes its less frequent and doesn't require me to tend to him most wake ups. 

He also finally is in his crib 100% of the night for the first time. He goes down awake and with either no crying or maybe 2-3 minutes of whining/crying. Most wake ups we watch on the monitor and there is no crying. He basically sits up, bobbles until he falls over and sleeps again. Sometimes he cries and walks end to end in his crib until he falls over and sleeps. Sometimes he blows raspberries at the door for a few minutes. Usually he is asleep before the first check. I went from nursing 4-6 times a night to 1-2 times a night.  

His combined total sleep time went from 6-7 hours to typically 10 hours now. We have to wake him lately at 6am as while training they have to be woken at their typical wake time. He is happy ALL day and smiley when we get him. I know he is nowhere near STTN and he never has STTN, and that's ok. I just want him in his crib and not needing me to nurse, rock, or sing him back to sleep for hours.  

How do you decide when to feed him? I guess that's what makes more sense to me about the sleep easy solution. You let them CIO with checks every time they cry, but then dream feed them so you know they're not hungry. A friend did it & she said this way they learn that crying doesn't equal nursing. Eventually you cut out the dream feedings... she started off at 1 & 5 am, and now is down to 5am only & starting to eliminate that one.
    There is a section in his book for feedings. Basically I set a "feed after" time. I set that for midnight. The first time he wakes after midnight I feed him. Then I feed evey three hours which maxes his possible feeds to 2 since he wakes at 6. Sometimes he nurses once because he wakes at like 11 and then not till 2, so I feed at 2 and then when he wakes for the day. Ferber says to increase feed time by 30 min each night. So I typically. Used him every two hrs minimum all night. Night one I set feed after time at 11 pm. I then added 30 min to his typical time between feeds so I fed after 11pm every two and a half hrs. The next night was after 11 every three hrs. Then after 12am evey three hrs, then every 3.5 hrs etc. basically he says you eliminate what you want. I decided to keep one feeding just because I miss it, not because he needs it. 

Often they are hungry out of habit of eating at night. As long as they enough during the day they are fine. I make sure he nurses every two hours still during the day. I also cut his night feed short once his suck slows down. In all honesty the feedings aren't an issue, it's his Wakings which I know are not due to hunger. He will wake an hour after a full pumped bottle. 

Lilypie - (ovfd)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"