January 2013 Moms

I thought you weren't supposed to put bumpers in cribs...

Yet I keep seeing them everywhere. No just in stores but in people's pictures of their nurseries. Am I missing something?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: I thought you weren't supposed to put bumpers in cribs...

• No- you arent missing anything. You arent supposed to, but they still sell them and people still use them for various reasons.
    Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nope, you are absolutely right. No bumper pad or a mesh breathable pad are recommended. People who use the regular ones just don't know or don't care about the dangers of them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • We did not use the bumpers at first but once DS became very active his dr approved putting them in to help with legs getting stuck in the slats. Once babies are older and can roll around, bumpers can be used safely.

I think we also put them in his crib when taking nursery pics just to complete the look and then took them out.

• I used one, I don't think they're dangerous.  I understand maybe the super poofy fluffy ones are, but not the thin ones.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • You are correct. The American Academy of Pediatrics has come out against ALL bumpers (including the mesh or "breathable" ones) but they are by no means illegal and stores will still include them. I actually have several friends (who are fellow pediatric nurses) who have used them for when their little ones get a little older as they began getting their arms/legs stuck in the crib rails. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ahhh. Maybe the pictures I'm seeing aren't for newborns but older babies?  I thought I was taking crazy pills there for a minute. 
  • They just made them illegal in Maryland, where I live. I'm not sure if they still sell them in stores because I haven't been in a BRU to see. Guess I'll find out in a few weeks when I go register. I will not be using one. 
  • OriamOriam member
    We aren't using one.
  • awicksawicks member
    K, please let me know why they are not a good idea?  chance of smothering?  I haven't heard of this
  • SPK926SPK926 member
    imageawicks:
    K, please let me know why they are not a good idea?  chance of smothering?  I haven't heard of this

Chance of smothering isn't a big reason as little babies can't move over to the bumper but yes it is a reason. The biggest reason I've always heard is lack of airflow which can lead to SIDS.

""No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside."
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    "On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered "Life will never be the same." Because there had never been anyone like you... ever in the world." ~ Nancy Tillman Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • For DD I used one for nursery pics only.  After that the bumper was stored.
  • imageawicks:

There are 2 risks with them.  

The first are the known causes such as strangulation, entrapment, suffocation, etc.  Where a child could get tangled in them and not be able to get out - or be smothered.  (This risk is for breathable and non breathable bumpers of any thickness.)

The second is really the unknown cause and that is SIDS.  It's believed that one of the causes of SIDS can be from rebreathing.  Which is when not enough fresh oxygenated air is circulating on the surface of the bed where the child is breathing and the baby is breathing in air that has too much carbon dioxide.  (This risk is for non breathable bumpers of any thickness.) 

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • Nope. We'll probably do the mesh one though.
  • We had bumpers in DD's crib but she didn't sleep in her crib until she was 4 or 5 months old so at that point she had fantastic head control, rolled over, and sat up (at 5 months) so able to move as needed.  The main issue with bumpers is suffocation when the baby is not able to roll or turn their head if right up against them so not really an issue with older babies IMO.  When we first transitioned to crib we took the bumper out but she would get her arm or legs stuck in the bars or have bruises on her head so we talked to our pedi and she said its fine once they can move around in the bed on their own.
  • You're right, the recommendations for preventing SIDS tell you to avoid using bumpers.

A lot of people put them in the crib when doing the nursery because it looks cute and makes it look "complete," but then take it out once baby arrives.  Some people don't know the risks, or just choose to ignore them.

Personally, I never used mine and the bedding set was a complete waste of money.

I did get a mesh bumper once DS was rolling around because it kept his arms, legs, and pacifier in the crib.  I once walked in and his little arm was sticking out of the crib.  I didn't like that, and at that point he was mobile and rolling all over the place, so I used the mesh bumper instead of the thick quilted one, that way if he did roll into it he could still breathe.  We never had any problems with it.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, those of us that chose to use them are either stupid or really don't care about our babies, that is exactly it.  At least now SOMEONE understands.  We certainly didn't take anything into consideration when making these decisions and just hoped for the best.  

Geez people...your opinion is your opinion but to say that someone "doesn't care" about their child is just stupid. 

Guess what...DD slept on her stomach too... BLASPHEMY!  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You are right. Bumpers aren't safe and shouldn't be used at all.

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Oh, and they also aren't safe for older kids either who can get tangled in them and suffocate or try to use them to climb out of the crib.
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageLindsRockies:
    imageSoon2bBivens:

Yes, those of us that chose to use them are either stupid or really don't care about our babies, that is exactly it.  At least now SOMEONE understands.  We certainly didn't take anything into consideration when making these decisions and just hoped for the best.  

Geez people...your opinion is your opinion but to say that someone "doesn't care" about their child is just stupid. 

Whoa.

Whoa is right....

Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yowza...didn't mean to start drama!

• There are a lot of recommendations and guidelines---no bumpers, no blankets, no pillows etc, BM is better than FF, don't drink caffine, eat lunchmeat, etc while pregnant.  And so on...

Regardless of what anyone believes, these things are not laws so each mom has the opportunity to do what she feels is best for her child and her situation.  All these things always start arguements and really its silly--who are we to judge each other?  I never understand why people get so heated over someone else's decision.

• imageashdonne:

There are a lot of recommendations and guidelines---no bumpers, no blankets, no pillows etc, BM is better than FF, don't drink caffine, eat lunchmeat, etc while pregnant.  And so on...

Regardless of what anyone believes, these things are not laws so each mom has the opportunity to do what she feels is best for her child and her situation.  All these things always start arguements and really its silly--who are we to judge each other?  I never understand why people get so heated over someone else's decision.

You forgot circumcision and extended rear facing car seats!  ;) 

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • imagelittlemaybaby:
    imageashdonne:

There are a lot of recommendations and guidelines---no bumpers, no blankets, no pillows etc, BM is better than FF, don't drink caffine, eat lunchmeat, etc while pregnant.  And so on...

LOL I didn't even want to open those cans of worms!!!

• imageashdonne:

This.

I wasn't trying to come off snarky but was a little offended by the "just dont care" comment.  That's all.  As a matter of fact when I was going to bed last night I thought about posting on the board saying how nice it is we have our January 2013 board because of all the boards I've been on, this is by far the nicest group of women yet.  I think we have a great group all in all.  People should just think about the words they choose to use sometimes as it can come off quite offensive.   

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I won't be buying a bedding set so we won't even own a bumper.

BabyFruit Ticker

• JJsMumJJsMum member
    imageSoon2bBivens:

Yes, those of us that chose to use them are either stupid or really don't care about our babies, that is exactly it.  At least now SOMEONE understands.  We certainly didn't take anything into consideration when making these decisions and just hoped for the best.  

Thank You!!!  I'm getting a little bit tired of being told that I don't care about my child because *gasp* I used bumpers to keep him from bruising his head, with my pediatricians approval!!

Jonathan Jeremy~12/02/2010,  BFP#2~M/C @ 11wks 4 days,  BFP #3~CP @ 4 wks 3 days,  
    Simon Randall~01/29/2013, Grayson Paul~10/03/2014
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Oct'14 January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails 

• imagemrsodonnell12:
    imageLindsRockies:
    imageSoon2bBivens:

Whoa.

Whoa is right....

The lady doth protest too much. 

• imageLindsRockies:
    imageashdonne:
    imagelittlemaybaby:
    imageashdonne:

What about nursing in public?  I want to talk about that!  ::pounds fist::

Let's see those nipples! JK

• imageBLPL101:
    I won't be buying a bedding set so we won't even own a bumper.

This. With all the research on SIDS and after speaking with so many of my friends with kids (all of whom said they didn't use bumpers or quilts for the first 6 mos), it seems like a waste. You aren't supposed to use any kind of bedding other than a fitted sheet, so why spend $300 on a quilt and bumper and sheets and pillows when you shouldn't use them? It seems like a waste. Our little one will be in a PnP w/bassinet until we're done BF so it seems like such a waste. When baby is old enough for a crib/bed, then we'll talk sheets and stuff.

• It's an easy decision for me and it's not about anything but cold hard cash. There are studies that say we shouldn't use them? GREAT! I'll save that $100. ;)

• imagejeggomyeggo:

It's an easy decision for me and it's not about anything but cold hard cash. There are studies that say we shouldn't use them? GREAT! I'll save that $100. ;)

Also a great reason not to buy something you don't need! :) 

• imageSoon2bBivens:

Ha mine did too! It was the only way she would sleep!

• imageashdonne:
    imagelittlemaybaby:
    imageashdonne:

You forgot CIO too. LOL.

I totally agree with you ashdonne. 

BFP #1:10/31/10 DS born 6/22/11BFP #3:4/24/12 DD born 12/31/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ok, well it wasn't my intention to start an argument.  It was an honest question.  I didn't realize the topic was so heated.  Sorry for bringing it up ladies.
  • imageKatieM558:
    Ok, well it wasn't my intention to start an argument.  It was an honest question.  I didn't realize the topic was so heated.  Sorry for bringing it up ladies.

You didn't do anything wrong. There will be many more posts like this about all different types of things. Actually, I don't even really see much drama in this post.  

Lilypie - (eo79)
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageMagenta728:

imageKatieM558:
    Ok, well it wasn't my intention to start an argument.  It was an honest question.  I didn't realize the topic was so heated.  Sorry for bringing it up ladies.

You didn't do anything wrong. There will be many more posts like this about all different types of things. Actually, I don't even really see much drama in this post.  

Yes 

• jdm7jdm7 member

imageFreyaWin2382:
    You are correct. The American Academy of Pediatrics has come out against ALL bumpers (including the mesh or "breathable" ones) but they are by no means illegal and stores will still include them. I actually have several friends (who are fellow pediatric nurses) who have used them for when their little ones get a little older as they began getting their arms/legs stuck in the crib rails. 

I'm waiting for the AAP to pretty much be against anything and everything and have us sitting in car seats until we're out of high school (except on a school bus because those are super safe that no one needs a car seat... right? Wink

BabyFruit Ticker

• jdm7jdm7 member
    imagelandosmommy:
    imageashdonne:
    imagelittlemaybaby:
    imageashdonne:

You forgot CIO too. LOL.

I totally agree with you ashdonne. 

I agree with you too ashdonne... there are a TON of recommendations out there. The AAP recommends a lot of things, but it's not all made into law. So you can pick/choose what is best for you and your baby. To me, personally, I think it's about reading the information and formulating your own opinion on if its best for you. 

I didn't do any kind of bumper because 1) it wasn't worth it to buy a bedding set since you can't use the stupid comforter either and 2) I'm too cheap to buy a separate bumper. Our room didn't look any less like a nursery because we didn't have one.  

BabyFruit Ticker

• imageKatieM558:

You didn't Katie, I am not sure why the drama started. You asked an opinion and people gave opinions...so I'm sure why the snark started. No worries!

I'm not using them until LO is old enough to have enough head and neck control to be about to move around. 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• imageKatieM558:

Be proud you started a starred thread! I'm pretty sensitive and didn't think anything was too dramatic. Our January board is super and there's just differing opinions on most hot button topics...like bedding!

Am I the only one that never foresaw myself caring about things like this? Wowzers! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"