Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Low milk supply still :(

My supply is continuing to be low.  For the last 2 weeks I have been pumping for 15 minutes after each day time feeding (7x/day).  I am also taking Fenugreek 3x/day, 4 capsules each time.  On top of that I am drinking Mother's Milk tea at least 3 times per day (I know it should be more and I up that tomorrow).  Anyone also have this problem?  Did it resolve? How long did it take?  I really want to continue to breast feed my son.  For now I will still breast feed and supplement with formula.  I'm just discouraged that it isn't ever going to increase.

Re: Low milk supply still :(

• i am in the same boat, 3 weeks in now.  Giving it another week or so, want her to get to her due date and see if her suck improves and thus my supply, but I think we will switch to formula soon if things stay this way.  It takes me 2 days to even pump an ounce my supply is so bad.  I think my PCOS is to blame for my low supply.
    Gretchen Evie, born 7/8/2012 at 35w5d
  • Same boat, 3 weeks along.  At this point I am doubtful that I'll ever be able to XBF, but I've come to terms with that.  My lactation consultant said that if my milk supply didn't improve significantly after taking Mother's Milk for 3 days then it is likely something hormonal that is preventing me from making enough milk.  I have reason to believe this could likely be what is going on with  my body, and there isn't much that can be done about it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm doing all the things you are as well, and my total increase was only about half an oz.  I only make about 1 oz of bm between both breasts, so I was really hoping all this would work.

I still continue to breast feed, but I've also been formula supplementing.

Good luck

Renee- 37 DH - Chad - 39
    2/06 - surprise pregnancy - twins
    3/06 - m/c 1st baby at 6 weeks 
    5/06 -2nd baby had no heartbeat at 14 wks.
    D&E - Bled out. Blood transfusions. Week in ICU - Cheated Death!
    Diagnosis: Blood clotting and bleeding disorder, immune issues, & cervical stenosis
    5/10 - 1st IVF cycle - BFN
    FET - 10/12/10 - BFN
    1/11 - IVF with PGD - BFN
    IVF - May - BFN
    6/11 New RE - fingers crossed!
    9/11 - IVF - 4 transferred
    10/13 - BFP!!
    It's a boy! Clint Michael, Due in June!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Don't forget to drink a TON OF WATER!!!! It makes a huge difference.  Is your LO not satisfied after you feed him?  Is that why you think your supply is low?  I did everything you did after my supply was low, however, I didn't realize it had increased.  I was a naive FTM and thought that I should be getting more milk when I pumped (I did it after every feeding) but that isn't how it works.  When you breastfeed, it is sooooo much more effective than pumping and really empties out the breast.  My LO is an effective eater now and eats for seven minutes on average and is done. I don't pump after each feeding so that there is milk for him the next time he eats.  I only pump once in the morning after his first feeding so I can stock up or in case I don't get a lot of water in and I need to give him a bottle at night (supply is always less for women at night).  I can't push the water enough:)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I have always had supply issues (this is my 3rd baby ~ ebf DD1 for 1 year, ebf DS for 6 weeks then ff, ebf DD2 for 6 weeks then bf w/formulas supplement ).  THe way to tell for sure is diaper output.  If you are having around 6 to7 wet dipaers a day, your LO is getting plenty of milk.  The pump will not ever get out the amount of milk your baby will, plus their stomachs are tiny for quite some time.  I have to supplement with formula because I work and cant stockpile enough milk for her two bottles a day, but if your baby is only 3 weeks old and you are at home with them, put down the formula and back away slowly! LOL.  Really, supplementing the formula will also screw up your supply, because the baby isn't giving your breast its full demand so it isn't making its full supply.  Like PP said water is super important! your body has to stay hydrated . OH and don't worry, breast feeding is difficult for most everybody for the first several months ~ its those one or two vocal ladies that have it easy that make us feel like we aren't doing it right! good luck
    Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Have you talked to a lactation consultant? I found grtting personaluzed help was crucial.

I had the same problem with supply and ended up pumping after each feeding while DH gave baby formula or expressed milk when I had enough. I also found that fenugreek didn't do much but a supplement called Lactation Blend by Vitanica was amazing.  DD was EBF from about 2mo until 17mo--hang in there!  It can be done! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural miscarriage @ 5w2d 5/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MrsCAAMrsCAA member

Try massage while pumping and nursing (see link) when nursing use the cross cradle hold and massage with your free hand.  

https://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

With DS#1 I had lots of problems. (milk didnt come in until day 13, and then it was still a low supply) I was doing all the things your doing plus water, rest as much as possible, and a high fiber diet. But it did slowly get better and I was able to use less and less formula. At my 6 wk appt they found I had a retained placenta and once removed I became engorged for the first time 2 days later and could stop the formula.

I would see an LC, see/call your Dr to check its not medical (thyroid, placenta...), do a weighed feeding with an LC, at your pedis office or even a LLL meeting. A weighed feeding will help you see what baby is actually getting, and have the latch checked.

Also when you use a bottle try a wide mouth bottle or use the syring thingy so that latch doesnt get lazy.

I personally gave myself the goal of my 6 wk appt to try everything I could, and then make sure it wasnt a medical reason, and then if everything was ok I gave myself permission to at least quit pumping. I ended up EBF from 6 wks to 13 months.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I find that oats and flax seed really help my supply.  I'd try that!

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"