Stay at Home Moms

My car got broken into...

FML LOL I'm laughing because I'm so pissed. DD and I went shopping this morning and I ran into a store with just my wallet...well, for some reason my car didn't lock and somebody took my purse {nothing in it, but the purse itself is very expensive}, my iPhone and DD's iPod touch. :( Crap crap crap crap crap. So annoying to deal with all of it. I tracked it on the internet and the cops went to the apartment complex, but they couldn't find anything and had no way to enter the apartment to look. :( So I've wiped the phone, I'll call the insurance company, but I'm so creeped out that they have my address {had a checkbook in the purse} and all sorts of pictures of DD. Not to mention ALL my contacts, etc. UGH!

Re: My car got broken into...

• meglewmeglew member
    That really sucks!  I have had my wallet stolen before and between the hassle of cancelling everything and the feeling of being violated, it is an awful situation!
    DD #1 - 01.08
    DD #2 - 03.13
  • Maybe you should lock your car.
    Ella 8.6.11
    Carson 3.28.13
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemgarza1231:
    Maybe you should lock your car.

I think she said that she didn't realize her car didn't lock, not that she left it unlocked on purpose.

OP, I've had my car broken into also. Had some DVDs taken, and my iPhone charger. That feeling of violation sucks.  

Andrea 7/9/08, Joaquin 4/18/11, boy coming 12/18/13 Forever missed: Gabriel 11/24/09 at 20 weeks
  • imagemgarza1231:

...I'm sure you've never locked your keys in your car/house, left your car unlocked, left your phone at home, etc.  

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • imagekacelle:

imagemgarza1231:

...I'm sure you've never locked your keys in your car/house, left your car unlocked, left your phone at home, etc.

This. And by "this" I mean "what kacelle said." I locked myself and LO out of the house once. No bueno. 

Because you're mine, I walk the line....
    Landry Mark: 11/5/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagemgarza1231:

That's true...and maybe you should kiss my a$$. 

• imagemgarza1231:

Even if she had just left it unlocked (which she didn't) it wouldn't mean that it's okay for someone to just open a car that is not theirs and take other people's stuff.

• And fwiw, I thought I locked my car...but sometimes if DD is getting out and hasn't shut her door, all the doors don't lock. 

Off to try and find proof of ownership for a purse I bought 2+ years ago. Ugh. 

• imagemgarza1231:
    Well you are a peach. Why would you come on this board and use your first post here to establish yourself as a total ***? Op that sucks, the hassle is one thing but I hate feeling so violated.
  • imagescatteredtrees:

I'm sorry about your stuff being stolen! I've had that happen to me a few times. Once my entire window was smashed. 

Curious, is it a Coach purse? My sister had hers stolen out of her locker at the gym (or some random place like that) and they ended up replacing it. Good luck finding your proof of purchase! 

I had my back window shattered by a brick once...I think I found glass for months in the trunk. Ugh. Nothing was stolen that time...apparently it was kids.

It wasn't Coach, it was a Goyard...similar to Louis Vuitton. Not very easy to get, so the store I bought it at should have a record...except it was bought two years ago. I think the sales associate that I buy from {I have two} keeps some sort of record though, because she knew what color I had without me having to tell her. We're going to NYC on Friday anyway, so I'm going to stop by where I bought it and see what they can do. :( If not, I guess I'll go through years of bank statements. 

• pevilapevila member

That is awful, and most of the time it's not the things that get stolen but the feeling you have. At least you weren't in the car, in Peru they smash your window with a hot spark plug when there is traffic, and get in the car through the window to steal your purse. If you have protective film in yopur windows they keep pounding until they break it. That's even more traumatic. I have bulletproof windows just i case.

What a horrible experience, hope the memory of it fades soon!

• imageKateMW:

And fwiw, I thought I locked my car...but sometimes if DD is getting out and hasn't shut her door, all the doors don't lock. 

Off to try and find proof of ownership for a purse I bought 2+ years ago. Ugh. 

Credit card statement maybe?

• imagepevilallonga:

That is awful, and most of the time it's not the things that get stolen but the feeling you have. At least you weren't in the car, in Peru they smash your window with a hot spark plug when there is traffic, and get in the car through the window to steal your purse. If you have protective film in yopur windows they keep pounding until they break it. That's even more traumatic. I have bulletproof windows just i case.

Indifferent  They break into your car while you're driving!?

I can't imagine needing bulletproof windows. How scary!!

• pevilapevila member
    imageI Heart The 80s:
    imagepevilallonga:

Wow, that sounds terrifying! 

It is, you just learn to put your purse in the trunk. They also stand next to your car and try to open the doors (5 people try to open the 4 doors and the trunk at once). If they fail, they go to the next car, if they succeed, well, you know. It's just a matter of getting used to being very careful. It's awful.

• imagepevilallonga:

OMG, that sounds horrible. This was a walk in the park compared to that. I tracked my iPhone to an apartment so the police went and checked it out, but they couldn't tell which apartment. They're watching it now. 

• Thieves piss me off. So sorry.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers natural miscarriages- 12/18/07 & 2/18/13 (AKA:KRISTA555)
  • imagepevilallonga:

DH says that they do stuff like that in Guatemala, too (where his family is from). People don't even stop at stop signs or to turn because they're afraid someone will attempt a robbery if they stop moving. Scary. 

DD1: Maya 05/10
    DD2: Lucia (Lucy) 07/13
  • I'm so sorry, Kate. What a total bummer. My car was broken into last week. I apparently left it unlocked, parked on the street. My clicker doesn't always work. Thankfully, I had nothing of value in the car, but it sucks to come out to all your paperwork/belongings spewed all over and knowing someone was in there. Ewww
    DD1: Maya 05/10
    DD2: Lucia (Lucy) 07/13
  • imagemgarza1231:

Maybe you shouldn't be a b!tch.

I'm sure you have never done anything wrong in your life tho.

Kate I'm really sorry to hear that, and I'd be creeped out too regarding the pics and checkbook.  I hope they catch the scumbag.  My first apt was broken into (and yes my doors were locked) and it is such a violating feeling knowing some stranger had access to your personal belongings.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ugh, that is terrible, I'm so sorry!

I really have an issue with people who do this.  (Other than for obvious reasons).  People rarely have large amounts of cash.  And while he did get your iphone, otherwise all he got was mostly pictures of your DD and things that he has no use for.  He just went through all of that trouble to give you a bunch of headaches.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • pevilapevila member
    It's also awful to know thieves are there lurking. I mean, they must be watching everybody to act when they have the chance. Ughh.
  • kac22kac22 member

I'm so sorry, I know how terrible that can be! We had our house robbed not too long ago. Dealing with the cops, insurance, etc is PITA enough but it's the creepy feeling that some invaded your space that's the worse =/ 

I hope everything gets worked out for you soon!  

image image
    DD#1 12.26.12 | DD#2 EDD: 5.4.15
  • I'm sorry Kate, I hope you can find proof of ownership on your purse!  I have a few purses that I am overly attached to and would be heartbroken if they were stolen.  You should be able to remember roughly when you bought it, at least narrow down the year, right?  Or the store might be able to help you?  I would definetly claim it on your insurance though, especially if it was a very expensive piece.  FYI when my car got broken into a few years ago, anything attached to the car (like a cd player)was under the car insurance, but anything just sitting in the car (like my suitcase, camera, purse, and cd book) were all filed under my homeowner's insurance.

Good luck!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • That is the worst. A few years back this happened to my boss' car. The doors were locked and she had very little in the car. The only thing they took was one of those folding chairs people take to watch children's soccer games and such. All that for a $10 chair.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageMAprincess:

Ugh, that is terrible, I'm so sorry!

I really have an issue with people who do this.  (Other than for obvious reasons).  People rarely have large amounts of cash.  And while he did get your iphone, otherwise all he got was mostly pictures of your DD and things that he has no use for.  He just went through all of that trouble to give you a bunch of headaches.

Since my wallet wasn't in there, mostly they got old receipts, a checkbook, my book I was reading, etc. but I still feel violated. I know I'm going to realize that something else is in there soon that I really will miss...

• Ugh, Kate, I am so sorry.  That is the worst feeling and everything you have to go through just sucks

As a handbag addict, I weep for your loss.  I hope you are able to get it replaced

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • imageeaglesfan700:

Ugh, Kate, I am so sorry.  That is the worst feeling and everything you have to go through just sucks

As a handbag addict, I weep for your loss.  I hope you are able to get it replaced

Thanks...we just happen to be going to New York for a long weekend, so I'm hoping to get another one or something to replace it. DH isn't as happy about that thought, but I'm sure insurance will cover it...well, sure-ish. 

• imageI Heart The 80s:
    imageMAprincess:

Ugh, that is terrible, I'm so sorry!

My car was broken into when I was out of town visiting my sister. They ended up with my camera, my loose change and that was about. The most offensive part? They had all of my CDs strewn about the seat. They had obviously looked through them, and they didn't take ONE. I was actually offended that they didn't take at least one. Apparently my musical taste was uncool.  And it probably still is.

lol 80's...Don't feel bad.  This happened to me too. 

And MAPrincess, I hate this too!  Besides my car radio and loose change, they took my gym bag that I got for participating in an NCAA championship.  It wasn't worth anything to anyone else, but it was valuable to me. 

• imageKateMW:
    imageeaglesfan700:

Ugh, Kate, I am so sorry.  That is the worst feeling and everything you have to go through just sucks

Thanks...we just happen to be going to New York for a long weekend, so I'm hoping to get another one or something to replace it. DH isn't as happy about that thought, but I'm sure insurance will cover it...well, sure-ish. 

So sorry! It does feel like being violated. While I was pregnant someone drove past my grocery cart while I was loading my car and snatched my bag. They got everything, including my car keys. Luckily good samaritans got the license plate number of the car and let me use their phone to call 911 and DH. 

My home owners insurance covered the loss minus my deductible and some $ for the age of the items. Claim everything that was in your purse! My deductible was $1000. I even claimed lip stick, etc. the total value lost was $2200 and I got $800.

The theives used my ID to write a check and were on video. They ended up getting arrested later. They are heroin addicts. The woman was supposed to reimburse me for the $1000 deductible and the cost of replacing my car key or go to jail. So far, two years later I have received $600 of the $1200 she owes. Not holding my breath for the rest.

My bag was from Coach and they had records of my purchases. My wallet and key chain were Tiffany's and they also had records. Good luck!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageletranger:
    I can see pass forgetting to lock your car but really you left your purse in plan sight? 

I left my purse in the backseat...of my SUV, so there is no where to really hide it. Plus, for the most part we don't live in a city where there is a lot of crime, so it's not really normal to need to hide your things. But thanks for your concern. Bye bye. 

• imageI Heart The 80s:

imageletranger:
    I can see pass forgetting to lock your car but really you left your purse in plan sight? 

Really? This again?

Let me guess, you probably think girls that wear  short skirts are asking for it.  

Blame the victim much? 

Maybe they'd like to talk with DD about how it's her fault because she asked to go to that certain store. LOL

• Dislike!!!
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Yikes, I can't think of anything worse than being robbed, such a voilation! :(

I had my very first iPhone stolen out of my jogging stroller while at a story time with Emily when she was only 8 months old. It's sickening how many personal photos as well as my contacts disappeared that day; but more sickening is that it was the mom/dad/caregiver of one of the babies in the class. 

Anyhow, I'm not sure if you've already done this or if this is helpful at all, but I have AT&T and I was able to "suspend" my service immediately (online by logging into my cell account) so that whomever had my phone couldn't make/receive calls nor text nor use my data plan AND I was able to keep my phone number. Once I got to the AT&T store a day later they were able to reactivate my new iPhone with my old number. Helped a tad to at least not have to change my number with everyone I knew. :) Still sucks that some a$$ had all my photos and personal contacts and now I have a passcode on my phone that immediately wipes my phone clean, back to factory settings if someone fails to input my code correctly 10 times.

Good luck!!

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"