Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Do you use a walker?

We have one.  My SIL bought it for us. 

I use the walker as a place to feed DD and something to put her in if I need her to stay in one place for a few minutes.  There's something underneath our walker you have to take off in order for babies to be able to walk around in it.  Well, technically babies can walk backwards, but not forwards without the dohicky removed.  We haven't removed it yet, but only because I just keep forgetting.

Anyway, I just saw the following on BabyCenter as to why you shouldn't use walkers.  "At this stage some parents put their children in baby walkers, but that's not a good idea. Walkers are unsafe: Your baby can use a walker as a stepladder to reach things he couldn't normally get to, such as a hot stove or bottle of bleach. What's more, they discourage floor play, which helps him learn to walk by giving him opportunities to crawl, pull up, and cruise while holding on to furniture ? all activities that lead to walking."

Now I'm wondering if we should just leave the walker as is so that DD can't walk around it in.  I don't really see us having any of those issues.  DD already crawls, pulls herself up to stand, and gets a LOT of time of the floor.  Plus, I don't see the walker being unsafe, because I don't leave her in it without being close by. 

So, I guess I've answered my own question, but I'm just wondering if maybe I'm missing something? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Do you use a walker?

• Options

DS uses one when he's at my mom's house.  He likes to stand 24/7 so it gives our arms a break for a while, and frees us up to do chores!  I personally don't have one because they're expensive, and I can't justify spending that much money on something he'll only use a little while (until he's crawling and can occupy himself a little better).

I don't buy into the danger warnings.  Use a baby gate and keep your doors closed to keep the kids from rolling down the stairs.  And do you seriously think my 6 month old who can barely sit up is going to climb up the walker to get to the hot stove?  When he's to the age where he can figure that out, he won't even need the walker!  And with all things, balance.  A little jumper time, a little mommy time, a little tummy time, a little walker time.  Unless your LO is in the thing all hours of the day, he's still going to figure out how to crawl and cruise. 

Anniversary

• Options

I just purchased a walker for DS because...

#1 -- I had one as a kid, so did my brother, and so did countless other kiddos who turned out JUST FINE!

#2 -- We provide plenty of time for him to play on the floor -- tummy time, crawl, pull up to standing, cruise the furniture, etc.

#3 -- We've made sure to baby proof our house and always supervise him when he's playing so accidents like "pulling things from a hot stove" or "grabbing" things that are otherwise out of reach" don't happen.

#4 -- He is BUSY these days and it's nice to have another option for indoor playtime since it's been 8 million degrees out lately.

While I understand the concerns mentioned in that article, I think just like many other aspects of raising a baby/parenting, you've just got to do what's right for you and your child(ren) :) 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We don't and MIL is convinced that he will never learn how to walk, lol! 

• Options

We don't yet, and I'm on the fence about getting one. Not the whole safety BS..,. sorry but the walkers ARE NOT unsafe, the stupidity of the parent/caregiver is what's unsafe.... just that I don't know if we really have the room for one in our apartment and I don't feel like paying for one to have at FI's mom's house because DD is always in someones arms there anyway. I would like to because I think she would enjoy it, but I'm worried she'll get too frustrated because she really can't follow be out of the living/dinning room because the kitchen and hallway is too small and I think she'd also get caught on the throw rug in our living room. Sigh... I guess she'll have to learn to walk the old fashioned way lol

Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    fraseyfrasey member
    since tbeyre illegal in canada, we wont but using one.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I've also read they can be dangerous but IMO really any baby item CAN be dangerous if not used and/or supervised properly. LO isn't crazy about sitting in it but he will sit there if we put some snacks on the tray for him. Honestly though he can climb into and out of it but he's always supervised when he's playing with it so to me it isn't a huge issue. He likes to push it around so he is actually walking with it just not in it lol but like I said he always has supervision when he is playing with it so no biggie :]
    ega Pictures, Images and Photos support our troops Pictures, Images and Photosega Pictures, Images and Photos Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageiluvmylab:

We don't and MIL is convinced that he will never learn how to walk, lol! 

haha. "old" people are funny. 

Anniversary

• Options

We don't yet, and I'm on the fence about getting one. Not the whole safety BS..,. sorry but the walkers ARE NOT unsafe, the stupidity of the parent/caregiver is what's unsafe.... just that I don't know if we really have the room for one in our apartment and I don't feel like paying for one to have at FI's mom's house because DD is always in someones arms there anyway. I would like to because I think she would enjoy it, but I'm worried she'll get too frustrated because she really can't follow be out of the living/dinning room because the kitchen and hallway is too small and I think she'd also get caught on the throw rug in our living room. Sigh... I guess she'll have to learn to walk the old fashioned way lol

Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

We do have one but haven't used it yet. Not opposed to it by any means, just like PP'er said - in baby item overload and don;t have room for anything else until we retire the jumparoo.

I don't understand why they are illegal in Canada. Walkers are not unsafe. Not properly supervising your baby is what's unsafe.

"If every word I said, could make you laugh - I'd talk forever".
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We use one. I think they are un-safe if not watched... but when you know that there is nothing around for them to get into and keep an eye on them, i think they are life savers.   I will say that I know someone whose baby is very delayed in walking because they only put him in the walker/jumper though.  They thought ( like i did at the time) that it woudl help strengthen his legs and such.. but the dr.s say it actually hindered him from being in them so much and not gaining the right muscles.
  • Options
    My mom has one for my brothers and sisters and me. We all were and still are fine. We have one that my FI's mom bought us. We haven't used it yet only because there is no adjustment and DD is too short and her feet don't reach the floor. I certainly agree about not leaving them in it all day, but a little bit here and there isn't going to hurt them.
  • Options

They're illegal in Canada because children are getting injured despite being supervised.  

According to the AAP, most injuries occur while there is an adult present, but the adult isn't fast enough to stop the accident from happening.  So, walkers can be relatively safe only if you hover over your child like a helicopter. Who does that?  We buy these types of contraptions so we can put baby down to do things.  Most parents tend to look away for a bit to fold laundry, check out the TV, do some cleaning, and then it's too late.  

https://www.healthychildren.org/English/safety-prevention/at-home/Pages/Baby-Walkers-A-Dangerous-Choice.aspx 

Unfortunately, just because they were deemed okay in the past doesn't mean you should use one today.  Way back when, it was also okay to hold your baby in a moving car ... I certainly wouldn't do that today.

Feb'12 March Siggy Challenge - Lucky Charm
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #3 - 05.20.11, EDD - 01.31.12, Logan is here! 02.05.12
    BFP #2 - 03.16.11, M/C 03.24.11
    BFP #1 - 10.17.10, Blighted Ovum dx, M/C 01.09.11
  • Options
    imageEvenAngelsFall:

I don't understand why they are illegal in Canada. Walkers are not unsafe. Not properly supervising your baby is what's unsafe.

They are unsafe because the Canadian government deemed them unsafe.  I dont' understand why drop-side cribs are illegal, yet the American government deemed them unsafe.  It's the same reasoning behind both laws, just two different items.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Options
    imagedhviel:
    imageEvenAngelsFall:

They are unsafe because the Canadian government deemed them unsafe.  I dont' understand why drop-side cribs are illegal, yet the American government deemed them unsafe.  It's the same reasoning behind both laws, just two different items.

Kids' fingers were getting stuck/cut off in the cribs themselves 

Anniversary

• Options
    I honestly don't understand why so many people have a problem with walkers.  As long as they are supervised and not near stairs, what's the big deal?  DS isn't a big fan of his, but even if he was, I would still give him plenty of floor time.  As you said, sometimes you need them to stay in one place for a few minutes.
    Baby Boy #1 born on 3/21/08 
    BFP 8/2/10 (3w5d); No more heartbeat on 8/30/10 (7w4d); D&C on 9/2/10 (8w) - Baby Boy with Triploidy
    BFP 12/3/10 (4w2d); Natural miscarriage 12/12/10 (5w4d) - Unknown cause
    Diagnosed with Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
    BFP 3/9/11; Baby Boy #2 born on 11/7/11
    Currently TTC Baby #3

• Options
    imagemeg_2006:
    imagedhviel:
    imageEvenAngelsFall:

Kids' fingers were getting stuck/cut off in the cribs themselves 

And in Canada there were a lot of kids getting injured by being in walkers.  In my mind it's the same reasoning for both laws. 

My brother (over 30 years ago) actually went down the stairs in a walker while my mom was watching him closely.  It happens.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Options
    fraseyfrasey member
    image88eve88:
    They're illegal in Canada because children are getting injured despite being supervised.  

According to the AAP, most injuries occur while there is an adult present, but the adult isn't fast enough to stop the accident from happening.  So, walkers can be relatively safe only if you hover over your child like a helicopter. Who does that?  We buy these types of contraptions so we can put baby down to do things.  Most parents tend to look away for a bit to fold laundry, check out the TV, do some cleaning, and then it's too late.  

https://www.healthychildren.org/English/safety-prevention/at-home/Pages/Baby-Walkers-A-Dangerous-Choice.aspx 

Unfortunately, just because they were deemed okay in the past doesn't mean you should use one today.  Way back when, it was also okay to hold your baby in a moving car ... I certainly wouldn't do that today.

All of this!!! Especially the bolded parts.
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"