November 2011 Moms

Was it rough having a baby in Nov?

Bumping over from Nov 2012. Just wondering what to expect with my second baby in November. DD was born in May, and I never had any issues with her getting sick, since it wasn't winter or flu season. I'm worried about this one because I'll have a wedding to go to in November when the baby is only a few weeks old, then Thanksgiving, then Xmas, and being exposed to all that family makes me nervous since it'll be January before LO can get vaccines. 

Did you have any issues with your baby getting sick at all? Did you change anything in regards to traveling or the holidays given your new and fragile baby? 

Thanks in advance!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Was it rough having a baby in Nov?

• imagejamdv3:

Bumping over from Nov 2012. Just wondering what to expect with my second baby in November. DD was born in May, and I never had any issues with her getting sick, since it wasn't winter or flu season. I'm worried about this one because I'll have a wedding to go to in November when the baby is only a few weeks old, then Thanksgiving, then Xmas, and being exposed to all that family makes me nervous since it'll be January before LO can get vaccines. 

Did you have any issues with your baby getting sick at all? Did you change anything in regards to traveling or the holidays given your new and fragile baby? 

Thanks in advance!

I didn't think it was rough at all. I didn't treat my child as a glass baby. If anyone wanted to hold him, they washed their hands. If they were sick, they wouldn't come around him. He did not get sick at all. We didn't travel, since our family is local, so I had no experience with traveling with him until he was older.

Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Now, granted, I live in CA... but winter here is still prime time for illness. DS has never been sick, and we were out and about with him within the first week or so of his birth. We've also flown with him several times. No illness.

I can't speak to the traveling part, as all our family lives in the Midwest and DH can't get the time off to travel. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Photobucket
    Caleb Jonathan
    Born November 30, 2011

The Winking of an Eye
    A blog about the mommyhood, wifehood and lifehood of a misplaced Minnesotan in SoCal
  • Loading the player...
  • It was fine.  We went out and did everything as normal and let everyone hold her as long as they weren't sick. 

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • Congrats!

It wasn't a problem for us at all. I also wasn't all crazy "omg germs can't come near my kid"... geeze we had her in walmart (I needed BF stuff and wasn't sure what so I had to look myself) on the way home from the hospital lol

At 19 days old she went to Chile's to celebrate my brother's bday. Then several different families houses for Thanksgiving and again for Christmas. We didn't change our schedule at all outside of staying at home for Xmas morning, we normally stay at families xmas eve. She was cuddled and passed around a ton.

She hasn't been sick once, I also EBF and I know they *say* that EBFed babies are less likely to get sick.  Although I have nothing to compare it to.

IMO a baby can't build an immune system if they aren't exposed to germs, I do know a few families of kids who's parents extremely sheltered them and now that they are older (4-15) they get really sick once a month if not more.

Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• I was so scared at first but eventually we just treated it like any other time of the year. I kept shut in for the first month... which did nothing because LO did get sick at 3 weeks old. Once she got better we went out and carried on like normal, and she hasn't been sick since then. Breastfeeding might help the situation.
  • jb2rnjb2rn member

Nope, wasn't an issue. Now, we live in Europe and our families in the states, so we didn't see them for the holidays. I was due Nov 21 so I would have not been able to travel for Thanksgiving out of state even if we were in the US.

When our son was a week old, I put him in a Moby wrap and took him to a crowded festival here in Germany. And, I had a c-section. I took it slow and made a lot of stops. I even BF him in public. It can be done!

We didn't go out daily to things like that, but I thought it was important for my mental health to get out. I think having a sling or carrier is key for a winter baby, both to keep baby warm as well as to keep curious strangers away!

ds has had one cold in his life so far, and he got that from daddy!

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• We did not have any issues with getting sick until baby started daycare. But I think baby is going to get sick at that point no matter when they were born.

We did bow out of traveling for both Thanksgiving and Christmas last year. This year we will probably join the festivities as usual =)

Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • It was fairly similar to my experience with my first child. My daughter got sick at 10 days old, but my DS was a June birth and he got sick at 10 days old too.  I don't think the time of year made a difference at all.  I made sure not to let people hold DD if they were sick, but keeping her away from DS was impossible.   I think that trying to keep DD from getting sick when DS did was a bit of a challenge.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks everyone! It was very comforting to hear how little everyone's babies got sick.  It sounds like baby will be fine, although I'm sure starting at a daycare in January will probably pose some challenges, so hopefully BFing will provide a good defense against that. :)
  • imagealysson.lawless:
    imagejamdv3:

Thanks in advance!

I didn't think it was rough at all. I didn't treat my child as a glass baby. If anyone wanted to hold him, they washed their hands. If they were sick, they wouldn't come around him. He did not get sick at all. We didn't travel, since our family is local, so I had no experience with traveling with him until he was older.

All of this.  DD didn't geet sick until she started daycare at 8 wks.  We didn't change any plans and she was fine through all the Holidays.

BFP #1 August 2007, Lost Nov 2007, no heartbeat found at anatomy ultrasound at 19 wks
    BFP #2 March 2011, Baby Girl born November 2011!!!
  • It wasn't rough for us at all. I had people wash their hands, stay away if they were sick, and we were around minimal family during the holidays. I think it helped that I was BFing DD so she had the antibodies (as well as spending most of her time in my arms). :-) We didn't change any plans that we had already. I would also just remember to wash your own hands often as well.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We took our baby to Thanksgiving at 9 days old.  We just made sure everyone knew he would be there and practiced good hand washing.  It was great because I had the holidays off.  I could go to any party and not worry about when we were driving there and back or how late we could stay.  I could also do last minute Christmas shopping when the stores weren't busy. 

Between November and January we did two Thanksgivings and 6 Christmas parties.  LO hasn't been sick yet.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just putting it out there.. LO is FF and has never gotten sick either. 

• We didn't have any issues with illness. Our biggest problem was that LO was 2 weeks on Thanksgiving and a lot of family saw her for the first time that day. She was held by over a dozen people and kind of shut down after a while.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Actually, looking back, having a baby in November was great b/c we missed much of the cold/flu season at daycare.  I took DD out quite a bit and had family and friends over and she never got sick.  Granted we didn't have 50 people over for Christmas dinner but we had a fair amount of visitors.  I would have been more nervous to put a 3-month old in daycare in October vs. March when I went back to work.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• My DS still hasn't been sick and it has been 8 months. (He was born naturally and is BF if that makes any difference).  I also took him out after a couple days at home, I just had people wash their hands before touching him.
    "Read the books, don
  • imagejamdv3:
    Thanks everyone! It was very comforting to hear how little everyone's babies got sick.  It sounds like baby will be fine, although I'm sure starting at a daycare in January will probably pose some challenges, so hopefully BFing will provide a good defense against that. :)

I think it mostly depends on the child and the daycare center. My LO started daycare in January, and didn't get sick at all until May, and he was FF.

Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

• imagealysson.lawless:

imagejamdv3:
    Thanks everyone! It was very comforting to hear how little everyone's babies got sick.  It sounds like baby will be fine, although I'm sure starting at a daycare in January will probably pose some challenges, so hopefully BFing will provide a good defense against that. :)

I think it mostly depends on the child and the daycare center. My LO started daycare in January, and didn't get sick at all until May, and he was FF.

True story. I worry about our daycare (though i love them) because my DD starting getting really sick when we switched her. It's in home, but has a lot of older kids, and once we switched she was sick ALL. THE TIME. And we switched her in february.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"