Food Allergy

Hives after WCM, what now?

I introduced WCM for the first time this afternoon. DS played around with his cup and drank about 1 ounce. Within a few minutes he had hives all around his mouth, chin and torso. What do I do now? Should I try soy or rice milk? Is it okay to try WCM again at some point or do we need to see an allergist to find out if he really has an allergy? I am ready to start weaning from breastfeeding but now I'm not sure what to give him since he had such a bad reaction to the milk. Thanks in advance for your help!
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

Re: Hives after WCM, what now?

• Sounds like a dairy allergy. Has he had any other dairy products? DD1 gets a hive or two where dairy items touch her skin. I told her pedi and she sent us to a pediatric allergist for testing. We found out she's also allergic to soy and eggs. Her levels were so high, we were prescribed EpiPens to always have on hand. DD1 drinks enriched rice milk and I sometimes add pea protein powder to it. So, talk to the pedi, they can order a blood RAST test, ask to see a pedi allergist for a skin test, and ask to speak with a dietitian about what to feed LO since he'll need to be dairy free. It's important he gets calcium, protein, vit D, and fat from other sources. Avocado, olive oil, and Applegate Farms meats are a few of our staples. The site www.godairyfree.org is a helpful resource. I would not give LO any yogurt, cheese, butter, sour cream, or cow's milk until you see an allergist and get test results/guidance. He may be able to have dairy baked into food, but not in a more raw form (that's how DD1 is). But that's something to talk over with the allergist.
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • I would take him to a pediatric allergist for testing.  I would not give soy, rice or almond a try until you get some testing done. 

My pedi suggested almond milk for DD once we are ready to transition at 12 months.  She has a dairy allergy too.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"