Cloth Diapering

Let's talk diaper rash

What do you do to combat it, avoid it, treat it?  What diapering system do you find to work best to avoid and treat?  
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Let's talk diaper rash

• We don't put anything preventative on.  If he gets a rash (which is rare), we put CJ's BUTTer on him.  It usually clears up within a day or two.  He's in cotton prefolds and covers most of the time, and we make sure he's dry before putting the next diaper on.
    July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • We use Grandma El's at night, or if she looks a little red. She rarely looks red anymore, mostly because we stopped wiping her between every pee. The wiping was irritating her skin and they don't really need wiping every time because the pee is absorbed into the diaper. That is a topic of discussion here, but that' what we do.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DD was having some redness... I was using tide because that is all that was available here, but when I did my big diaper order I ordered some Tiny Bubbles and she hasn't had any redness since...  I do use Earthmama Angel Baby at every change... I have Grandma Els on hand in case... but she hasn't needed it.

I also give her bum lots of airtime when possible.

• I think the tea tree oil in my wipe solution and the EMAB caused a chemical burn type rash on my baby's skin.  The CJ's seems to be healing it up really well...and time in sposies since I thought it was yeast at first and sanitized the diapers with tea tree oil.  So I had to strip the diapers and rewash them all.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • On a day to day basis, I like to have fleece next to their skin to keep them feeling dry, change frequently, and apply coconut oil as a moisture barrier. We have not had any diaper rash until recently. Claire got one when she was on antibiotics and having diarrhea, so I don't think that was a diaper issue. I put her in disposable diapers for a few days so I could use butt paste, and tried naked butt time. It cleared up around the time she finished her course of antibiotics. Yesterday Etta started looking red, so it might be a diaper issue, but I've got her in disposables and butt paste now, need to give her some naked butt time.

Untitled

Etta Jane and Claire Elaine are here! Born March 28, 2012.

my blog

What it's like to cloth diaper twins, Part I.

Cloth diapering twins, Part II.

• Right now we're dealing with a rash that has been really hard to get rid of with any CD-safe products. DS just had a bad reaction to a particularly explosive poo, and then it got worse when it got exposed to pee. This all happened in the course of 10 minutes -- I usually change his diaper right after he eats and then watch him closely, because he is likely to poo within 15 minutes of finishing a meal. So this particular rash was pretty unavoidable even with frequent diaper changes.

This rash has stayed over the course of a week, during which he started to scream bloody murder any time I put anything with zinc oxide on him. So CA Baby is out and Weleda is out. Angel Baby and coconut oil and lots of naked time seemed to keep it from getting worse, but it wasn't getting better either. I also started dabbing him with a baking soda solution at diaper changes to neutralize his skin. This helped a little, but we still couldn't get the rash to heal.

The pediatrician confirmed that it's not yeast and he doesn't have an infection, and we don't think it's an issue with the diapers. It's really a problem of contact with urine and specifically urine mixed with poo. The only thing she could recommend that we weren't already doing was to use a much stronger barrier cream, and either use liners or sposies until the rash heals. So I have had him in sposies for 2 days. I'm using A+D Ointment alternated with Palmer's Bottom Butter. The redness is almost all gone so I might switch over to lanolin later today, and move back into cloth in another day or two -- once I feel confident that the non-CD safe stuff is no longer on his skin.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"