Baby Showers
Options

Group shower in the morning? - need food ideas

I will be a part of a group shower for about seven couples expecting a baby in September (it's part of a pregnancy group at my hospital). It will be held from 8-10 in the morning, and I need an idea of a dish to bring. We already have the sweets covered, along with muffins, drinks, and cheese and veggie / fruit trays.  

Any ideas or recipes for something that is good to eat that early in the morning?

There will be at least 5 husbands there so I thought of bringing something that would be guy friendly (which also saves me from having to accomodate all the things that pregnant women don't/can't eat - like things that have to stay refridgerated or deli meats...)

Any ideas for something that I could pick up rather than make would be great too!

Re: Group shower in the morning? - need food ideas

• Options
    Maybe smaller, finger quiches? They could add some savory/protein to the typical carb spread of group breakfasts, and they have lots of variety. I would call a few local restaurants to get price ideas, or check your local grocery store if you don't want to make them. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I made a crockpot quiche for a potluck I attended in the morning. It was so good and very easy. I think it is from all recipes.com. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I've done my sweet and sour meatballs in a crockpot before and the guys liked them. It sounds gross but it's essentially chili sauce, grape jelly, and frozen meatballs. Quicky and easy. Just think about what foods you would make for a football party and modify them as you like for the guys.

I just have to say that your post gave me a good laugh.....  maybe it's cuz I got no sleep last night, but all I saw was "group shower" and was hoping I wasn't opening something x rated!

• Options
    I love mini blts on croissants for in the morning.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Crockpot recipes (you make it the night before and it's ready to go in the morning)

- Ranch redskin potatoes
    - Eggs and bacon or ham (and you could provide english muffins if you'd like)
    - Crockpot oatmeal with apples and cinnamon or brown sugar and raisins

• Options

Waffle sticks! You can make them with a waffle iron or go cheap & cheerful (Eggo waffles). You cut them into finger-food sticks. Give the option to dip in syrup, jam etc. 

Mini-omlettes. You can get one of the little egg pans. Make your mini eggs flat little circles. You can use a hot water bath underneath to keep them warm. Offer cheese, diced ham cubes, veggies & stuff to put on top.

Assorted fruit, then have coffee, tea & punch.

Enjoy! 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Candied bacon for sure.  It's easy, a crowd pleaser, and the guys will be stoked at the "manly" food.
  • Options
    I would definitely do something eggy to balance out all those carbs! I wind up with such a headachen (not to mention hungry and hour later!)  when I show up to breakfast and there is no protein in sight. My aunt makes a terrific casserole that has bacon eggs cheese and I think chunks of bread in it. Check allrecipes.com for ideas like that.
  • Options

imagejociejones:
    I would definitely do something eggy to balance out all those carbs! I wind up with such a headachen (not to mention hungry and hour later!)  when I show up to breakfast and there is no protein in sight. My aunt makes a terrific casserole that has bacon eggs cheese and I think chunks of bread in it. Check allrecipes.com for ideas like that.

I was also thinking of some sort of meat and egg casserole.  My step-mom makes an amazing one with sausage, cheese and green chili sauce.  I don't eat eggs and yet I find myself going back for seconds on that dish.

image BFP #3 02/14/2012 - EDD 10/20/2012 Started prometrium right away, hoping this one sticks Beta #1 (02/15) 37. Torrey born 10/21/2012 w 6lb 14oz, 19.5" long Beta #2 (02/17) 87 Doubling time 38.91 Beta #3 (02/22) 495 Doubling time 47.84 Beta #4 (02/28) 8108 Doubling time 35.70 ~grow baby grow~ Updated EDD 10/26 BFP #2 01/10/2012 - EDD 09/18/2012, Chemical Pregnancy ended 01/13/2012 BFP #1 12/03/2011 - EDD 08/06/2012, Natural M/C 12/13/2011
  • Options

Mini Sandwiches (maybe BLT or egg salad since it's AM?)

Quiche (mini or regular size portioned out)

Hash brown casserole

Egg/bacon/breakfast casserole

Good luck!

• Options
    imagemama&baby:

I've done my sweet and sour meatballs in a crockpot before and the guys liked them. It sounds gross but it's essentially chili sauce, grape jelly, and frozen meatballs. Quicky and easy. Just think about what foods you would make for a football party and modify them as you like for the guys.

I just have to say that your post gave me a good laugh.....  maybe it's cuz I got no sleep last night, but all I saw was "group shower" and was hoping I wasn't opening something x rated!

I was going to suggest the exact same thing - these meatballs go very quickly!!! They are sooooooo easy and yummy, I actually want to go make some tomorrow just to eat them myself.

If you've never made this - I use a medium-size jar of grape jelly (16 oz i think??) and 2 bottles of Heinz Chili sauce (small glass bottles near the ketchup section). 

Just mix it up with a whisk in the crock pot (or in a big pot if you don't have a crockpot) and add 1 big bag or 2 small bags of frozen meatballs (anything except italian-style), then stir to coat.

Heat through (either on the stove or by running the crock-pot)

ETA: Hmmm.. I seemed to miss the part about it being breakfasty. I personally have eaten these meatballs for breakfast before, but I'm not most people would lol.

I vote for bacon! For a large batch cook it in the oven - comes out perfectly crispy every time! (beware it causes a lot of fat to pool, so make sure whatever you cook it in has a good lip on it so it doesn't drip off the edge)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"