May 2012 Moms
Options

Question for all you EPers

I've been EPing for 2 months now and I'm still having severe nipple pain when I initially turn on the pump. After a minute, the pain is gone and it just feels like tugging. Could this be because my nips are flat and the pump has to draw them out each time? Will the pain EVER stop? I mean, I literally have to brace myself when I turn on the pump. I have an older medela pump in style. I've noticed that the newer ones have the two phase suction technology. I'm thinking these would be more comfortable because the initial suction is more gentle?? Any advice is well appreciated. I'm contemplating buying a new pump.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image

Re: Question for all you EPers

• Options
    fryratfryrat member
    according to my pump instructions (i have an avent, variable suction) the initial let down is the part where you need less suction. maybe you could manually stim by hand until you start flowing, then use the pump.
    For my little man...I only knew you in my heart. D&C 3/1/11 EDD 9/8/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Even the older pump should have a knob to control suction mines 11 years old and does.  You have to do it manually but it's an easy thing to do. The other thing to check is if your flanges are the correct size if they are too small your output is less and it hurts to pump.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was told by my LC that if you can do manual expression for a few minutes to get your letdown started it 'should' hurt less.  If it still hurts you should check with an LC, I have a horrible deep seeded duct infection that as I can remember, started with extremely painful nipples.  (I can't totally remember it was 10 weeks ago). 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Try a bigger flange size.  I had the same problem and went up a size.  It made a huge difference and I'm not in pain anymore.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"