March 2012 Moms

Homemade baby food

So make all DS baby food from organic fruits and veggies, I actually really enjoy it.  So far I've made avocado, sweet potato, banana, banana-cado, banana sweet potato, peaches, plums, green beans and beets.  BEETS ARE FLIPPING GROSS!  Unless he loves beets I will not be making them again.  I have a chest freezer so i am making food for 3 months.  Anyone else doing homemade food?  What's your fave so far?  Tomorrow I am finishing with butternut squash, apples, melon,and the most recent haul of green beans and zucchini/summer squash from our garden!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Homemade baby food

• I make our food because we are part of a C S A and get locally grown organic produce every week.  We have done squash and zucchini so far.  Just smelling when I pur?e it makes me happy.
  • Yes!  I get great satisfaction from using our garden veggies too!  I did try the plums last night and WOW were they good!
  • Loading the player...
  • I really enjoy making babyfood too. So far I have done sweet potatoes and greens bea. I did the four day rule with both of those so I plan on making some new veggies this weekend.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
  • How are you making it? Do you have a system like the Baby Bullet or are you blending it yourself? I'm kind of interested in doing it myself but I'm concerned about how much time/ and it how messy it might be. I am very lazy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• kel716kel716 member

imageeyenigh:
    How are you making it? Do you have a system like the Baby Bullet or are you blending it yourself? I'm kind of interested in doing it myself but I'm concerned about how much time/ and it how messy it might be. I am very lazy.

I made my own baby food with DS until he was eating 3 times/day and they were moreso meals than just a few spoonfuls.  Then I bought a few things and made the rest but it was more solid than liquid by that point.  It's really not messy, and it's quite easy.

I purchased ice cube trays and froze the purees into the cubes because each cube is 1 ouce.  I used the ideas on this website:  https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/

I used to make enough baby food to fill the trays on a Sunday afternoon.  I'd empty the old cubes into a ziploc freezer bag and labeled what it was with the date it was made.  Most of the recipes are pretty easy- cook on the stove top or in the oven and blend.  I just used a blender and while the baby bullet looks cool I don't think it's necessary.  I believe frozen baby food is good for about a month, but I may be mistaken. 

FWIW, I'm pretty lazy too when it comes to cooking, and this was pretty easy. 

• I basically do the same.  I have the baby bullet but I actually prefer to use my blender.  I am using the 4 day rule as well so once I have a batch done I freeze it in the ice cube trays and label a ziplock for when they are done and I throw them in the deep freezer.  I will say I like my baby bullet for grinding oatmeal and rice but that's about it.  
  • We have been making all of DD's food for the last month or so using the Babies R Us bullet thing.  I think it is cheaper than the one from TV and it is awesome.  The blending container doubles as the storage container so there is no transfer mess.  I've also found that it gets a better, smoother puree than stick-blenders that you would use for soups and other things.  DD's favorite so far is eggplant oddly enough.  Happy blending!
    Praise God from whom all blessings flow. :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I just made my first batch today and I think I am irrationally excited about it.  I wasn't planning on making food, but someone bought me the baby bullet for my shower, so I thought I would give it a try.  I did the sweet potatoes and it was so easy.  I am just amazed at myself lol, because this is so not me.  I am a convert that's for sure.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Try adding a little cinnamon to the sweet potatoes....it smells and tastes so good.
  • imagekel716:

imageeyenigh:
    How are you making it? Do you have a system like the Baby Bullet or are you blending it yourself? I'm kind of interested in doing it myself but I'm concerned about how much time/ and it how messy it might be. I am very lazy.

I made my own baby food with DS until he was eating 3 times/day and they were moreso meals than just a few spoonfuls.  Then I bought a few things and made the rest but it was more solid than liquid by that point.  It's really not messy, and it's quite easy.

I purchased ice cube trays and froze the purees into the cubes because each cube is 1 ouce.  I used the ideas on this website:  https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/

I used to make enough baby food to fill the trays on a Sunday afternoon.  I'd empty the old cubes into a ziploc freezer bag and labeled what it was with the date it was made.  Most of the recipes are pretty easy- cook on the stove top or in the oven and blend.  I just used a blender and while the baby bullet looks cool I don't think it's necessary.  I believe frozen baby food is good for about a month, but I may be mistaken. 

FWIW, I'm pretty lazy too when it comes to cooking, and this was pretty easy. 

I do the same! It is really easy! I have the magic bullet, and can use a regular blender/food processor too. I have only made sweet potatoes and green beans..the green beans were a pain in the butt to puree in blender, but I think I was putting to many at once.  Jonathan does not like the thick texture of puree, so I thin it out using formula.  But that website is GREAT!

I am also lazy, and at first I said I wasn't going to make my own baby food, but my cousin has been doing it and she said it was easy and fast! It totally is, especially if you make a good batch at once, just freeze and save! =) So you don't have to puree veggies and fruits everyday.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"