Preemies

Moms clubs, play groups & preemies

I'm a FTM of a 31 week Preemie, he is just 2 months adjusted and is at home.
I'm also new to the area where i live, my friends are in another state and family is abroad. Would love to meet moms in my area and I heard that there are "mom groups" or "play groups" , not right now but when LO  gets a bit stronger. 
Are there preemie moms clubs, do you go to regular moms clubs? And regular play groups? If so, when do you start doing that?

We had only left the house so far for doctors appointments. I may go out on my on just for short walks around the block but eventually I'd like to interact with other moms and don't know when LO should start interacting with other babies. I know it is too soon now, and I'm more concerned about keeping him healthy than socialization.
Id love to hear what other preemie moms do! 
DS was born in April 2012 at 31 weeks - 45 days in NICU

Re: Moms clubs, play groups & preemies

• I hear a lot of mothers talk about a PEPS group.  https://www.peps.org/

As well, I am in Mom/Infant/Toddler groups on https://www.meetup.com.  Seattle has a preemie group, but it is not very active.  I have been more active in a Newbie Knitters group and a Moms group in my area. 

I would go to your local board and ask for recommendations. 

As well, there is a good facebook group on "It's a Preemie Thing". 

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • I joined a Moms club in my town a couple of months ago, although I haven't done much with it lately only because I think I am the only mom with just an infant...some people have babies but have older children as well, and most of the activities revolve around play groups with big kids and I feel out of place. 

I also joined an informal local group that has more moms with just babies, in particular ones around DS's age.  I have only been to one meet up so far though. 

Out of both groups, DS is the only preemie infant right now...he's already had his first 2 sets of shots now though and we treat him like a 'regular' baby and don't have restrictions on where we bring him. 

Good luck on finding a group in your area! 

IMG_0293

Mr. & Mrs. 10/2/10 | Dx w/PCOS March 2011
    BFP - 7/25/11 | EDD 4/3/12 | C-section 2/7/12 @ 32 weeks 
    BFP - 1/07/14 | EDD 9/20/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I met other moms by going to the local breast feeding support group starting just a bit after his due date.  I also went to a month long mommy and me class when DS was just shy of 5 months adjusted (although I was horrified when I was chatting and not paying attention and another LO decided to slobber/drool/kiss all over DS's face-oh well). There's also another mom that I met during the NICU days that we have playdates (mommy drink dates) with. 
    image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • At 7.5 months (4 adjusted) I started taking my daughter to a local baby and me yoga class and have had other "playdates" with people we met through those classes since then.  It was a great way to meet other moms/babies and I liked that it wasnt very crowded and everything was done on our own mat & with our own toys so I didnt have to worry so much about germs.  
    mom to V; 25 weeker born at 1lb 7oz
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

www.virginiakkent.blogspot.com

• imageCTbride79:

I joined a Moms club in my town a couple of months ago, although I haven't done much with it lately only because I think I am the only mom with just an infant...some people have babies but have older children as well, and most of the activities revolve around play groups with big kids and I feel out of place. 

I also joined an informal local group that has more moms with just babies, in particular ones around DS's age.  I have only been to one meet up so far though. 

Out of both groups, DS is the only preemie infant right now...he's already had his first 2 sets of shots now though and we treat him like a 'regular' baby and don't have restrictions on where we bring him. 

Where in CT are you?  we are in Fairfield :) 

• I started attending a breastfeeding support group when he was about 37-38 weeks corrected. Our leader made a big deal that no one should come if sick because of all the newborns. The group only went up to 4 months and if babies were in daycare it was kinda discouraged for them to come. It was wonderful and I made a great group of friends from it. I would go out with them after group, but we always sat outside rather than being inside crowded spaces. In the end, it's a judgement call, but for me the social interaction and friendships I've made were well worth it!
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • imagethishappyhouse:
    imageCTbride79:

I joined a Moms club in my town a couple of months ago, although I haven't done much with it lately only because I think I am the only mom with just an infant...some people have babies but have older children as well, and most of the activities revolve around play groups with big kids and I feel out of place. 

Where in CT are you?  we are in Fairfield :) 

I'm in East Lyme, which I think is about an hour from you?

IMG_0293

Mr. & Mrs. 10/2/10 | Dx w/PCOS March 2011
    BFP - 7/25/11 | EDD 4/3/12 | C-section 2/7/12 @ 32 weeks 
    BFP - 1/07/14 | EDD 9/20/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Just started bringing my kids places within the last month. They have gone to a family bbq, met a few kids, and I've had a few "playdates". They've had their two shots for 2 and 4 mo... Dr says it's fine just don't bring them to more enclosed areas or around a ton of kids, or anyone sick.
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Yeah, probably around an hour.  Did you deliver at YNHH?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"