Trouble TTC
Options

IVF Consult Tomorrow

So I am hoping this IUI is successful and the consult tomorrow is for nothing, but I figured I should get all the info I can when I go. So besides the basics (when to cycle, protocol with meds, costs) what other questions should I ask tomorrow morning?

I have a feeling it will be similar to my first RE appointment almost a year ago now which was very overwhelming. Tongue Tied

TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: IVF Consult Tomorrow

• Options
    My main two questions were if I had to be on bcp for a month beforehand or not (not) and whether I could do a single embryo transfer (yes) so that's all I can think of.  I feel like I had read so much about the process that there wasn't much to ask and the doctor pretty much explained it all anyway.  There have been some questions and new things I've learned now that I'm going through the process.  GL.
  • Options
    He already told me at my WTF the appointment after IUI#1 failed that I would be on BCP's for 3 weeks. I am going to ask why when I meet with him. The embryo transfer is a good one I always think about asking and I completely forgot about it. Thank you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageRvnsgrl81:
    He already told me at my WTF the appointment after IUI#1 failed that I would be on BCP's for 3 weeks. I am going to ask why when I meet with him. The embryo transfer is a good one I always think about asking and I completely forgot about it. Thank you!

good luck tomorrow.

You'll find some clinics do BCPs and some dont. Some do it as part of an antagonist protocol and some do it to line up cycles and fo IVF cycles with certain start dates and in batches. If your dr said you'd be using them - it's probably for one of the two reasons above!

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough, I'm giving you all my love, I"m still looking up."
    TTC #1 since August 2011 MFI Diagnosis - April 2012
    IVF #1 - July 2012 - Stims start 7/2, ER 7/12, 20 retrieved, 16 mature, 13 fertilized!
    ET - 7/17 - 1 blast transferred. Beta - 7/26 273, Beta 2 7/30 - 1143. Beta 3 8/6 - 11,597
    12/25 - Santa tells us "IT'S A GIRL!" EDD - April 4th

Our Little Easter Bunny has arrived!

Molly Mildred born 03/31/13

TTC A Sibling....... FET #1 11/14/14, Transferred one beautiful blast

Remaining four frosties arrested due to "embryologist error"

Plllllleasssee stick little icicle.....Beta 11/23...BFN

Starting ALL over with a fresh IVF cycle

Stims start 11/28/14, ER December 10th, 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, only 4 fertilized 

1 Blast Transferred on December 15th..... Beta Christmas Eve... Please Santa, bring me a baby!

Beta #1 345.....Beta #2....750/ First U/S 1/13/15/HB 131....EDD 9/2/2015

• Options

I just wanted to say good luck! I lurk  here all the time and saw your PAIF so I thought it would be OK to post. I was sketchy of being back on BCP after I swore them off, but my dr explained it would make the medicine much more predictable and easier to control if I quieted all my body's natural hormones, which I could appreciate. (PS--during that time DH and I lived it up! Drinking again *which I didn't do during IUI cycles* we took a mini vacation to the beach....really three weeks can fly by if you plan something fun when you can)

Things I asked--how much say do I have in how many embryos are transferred

--when will I get my fertility report after ER

--are there online tutorials for medication instructions (a little more involved than IUI)

--side effects to watch for that indicate a problem with the medication you prescribe?

It was an overwhelming meeting, but also reassuring that my nurse was going to be with me every step of the way. I didn't fully understand everything after the first meeting, but after that they broke it into baby steps for me later on and dealt with one step at a time, which was lovely.

I hope this IUI works too!! GL! 

4/13/12--1st u/s. IDENTICAL TRIPLETS (?!?) PAIF and SAIF welcome Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Initially, I was very confused by the list of services and which ones applied to us. Do we need ICSI (help the sperm fertilize the egg)?  How do we know whether we should do genetic testing? Why is assisted hatching on the list, do we need that? We had our orientation last night and even spoke with the embryologist which really enlightened us on this process. Turns out we do not need any of those extras.

I learned that they, (my clinic) will do the single embryo transfer for women under 37, and women my age they advise two. I was also told I am on BCP's (and then Lupron starting Sat) to put my ovaries to sleep while I am getting prepared for IVF. I have to do a SHG and Lupron sonogram to closley look at my uterus (different than HSG), get my meds organized, get a calendar of instructions and specific days I will take each med. Go through the meds teaching with the nurse, ect.

I had that WTF feeling at first, then called the nurse again (and again) and asked her to break every step down for me (I need organization!). I do not feel as overwhelmed now that I understand the process a little better and what to expect.

Good luck with your IUI results!!

imageimage

Me:41/ lean PCOS, 2 clotting disorders, IC/ DH:41~ TTC since 1/11
    Clomid 50mg,100mg,150mg | Injectables + IUI#1 & IUI#2= BFN
    IVF#1~ 8/2012~ 13 frosties~ BFP! OHSS
    12/4/12 Luke & Kyle born @ 18 weeks
    SHG+ Hysteroscopy+ FET= BFP | Cerclage+ Lovenox+ 5m Bed Rest
    ~Our wee guy is here! 11/27/13~

PAL January Siggy Challenge~ Good Advice

• Options
    imageRobinR91:

I just wanted to say good luck! I lurk  here all the time and saw your PAIF so I thought it would be OK to post. I was sketchy of being back on BCP after I swore them off, but my dr explained it would make the medicine much more predictable and easier to control if I quieted all my body's natural hormones, which I could appreciate. (PS--during that time DH and I lived it up! Drinking again *which I didn't do during IUI cycles* we took a mini vacation to the beach....really three weeks can fly by if you plan something fun when you can)

--are there online tutorials for medication instructions (a little more involved than IUI)

--side effects to watch for that indicate a problem with the medication you prescribe?

It was an overwhelming meeting, but also reassuring that my nurse was going to be with me every step of the way. I didn't fully understand everything after the first meeting, but after that they broke it into baby steps for me later on and dealt with one step at a time, which was lovely.

Thank all of you ladies! Robin how many embryos did you transfer?

• Options

Good luck tomorrow! I'm glad you posted this so that I can remember to ask certain questions when we meet with the nurse consult for our IVF cycle.

At our meeting last week with the RE, he shared that I would be put on BCP (they do ER/ET in batches); ICSI is included in all protocols (no additional charge); ideally, we would transfer 2 5 day embryos; oh and I received a checklist of a host of tests DH and I have to complete and a folder full of lots and lots of paperwork. After the meeting we also spoke with the finance coordinater regarding payment options and IVF related costs.

Also, they have 2 IVF labs - one in the city and another in the suburbs - I would have my ER/ET done at the lab in suburbs (embryologist/staff are much more experiences) and monitoring at the lab in the city which is closer to where we live.

HTH!

ETA - And as Robin stated, I was both excited and confused/overwhelmed...it's just so much information all at once. But I've taken time to digest and the nurses have been great with my 101 questions...lol. Also, following the experiences of bumpies currently going through IVF on the Infertility board has helped a lot...I don't feel like I'm walking into this blindly!

~TTC#1 Since July 2011~ 
    Dx: Fibroids & Tubal Infertility
                                                        9/12 -IVF#1 =BFN; 5/14 -IVF#2=BFP:-) EDD 2.19.2015                                                

S/PAIF Welcome 

imageimageimage

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Good Luck!!
    "Everything will be alright in the end. So if it's not alright, it is not yet the end."
    Me:29 DH:29  TTC since 1/11 Dx: unexplained IF/early DOR/immune issues 
    Feb'12- July'12-testing(all clear minus slight arcuate ute), 3 IUI with clomid all BFN
    8/30IVF#1 Antagonist protocol- ER 9/11-8R, 7M, 5F. 
    ET 9/14 2 embies transferred. 1 10cell Grade 4, 1 8cell Grade 4. No frosties. BFN
    IVF#2 Antagonist protocol plus baby aspirin- ER 12/5-16R, 12M, 8F!
    ET 12/10 5dt! 1 fully expanded blast & 1 early blast. No frosties. BFN
    3/13 hysteroscopy & polypectomy, Consulted w Dr. Kwak-Kim.  
    DX: High NK cells, cytokines, DHEAs& PAI1;  hypothyroid, +APA, restricted bloodflow
    7/13 IVF#3 Long lupron protocol with PIO, Crinone, Prometrium, and vivelle
    (plus synthroid, metformin, baby asa, metanx, PNV, Vit E, D, calcium, fish oil, CoQ10, IVIg infusions and lovenox per Dr. Kwak-kim)
    ER 7/19 14R, 11M, 9F(4 natural fert, 5 with ICSI)
    ET 5dt 7/24 2 fully expanded blasts.  SURPRISE 3 FROSTIES!!!
    Beta #1 8/2 335!!!! Beta #2 829!!!  1st u/s 8/14 showed TWINS!!!!!
    11/11: TEAM PURPLE!!!!!
    3/21/14-L&W born at 37w via csection

Here Comes the Sun Blog
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
  • Options
    imageRvnsgrl81:
    imageRobinR91:

Thank all of you ladies! Robin how many embryos did you transfer?

Sorry, forgot to reply...believe it or not, we transferred ONE blast on day five. It split twice in 4 days, result--identical triplets.  

4/13/12--1st u/s. IDENTICAL TRIPLETS (?!?) PAIF and SAIF welcome Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"