September 2012 Moms

Hospital pads? 2+ moms

I keep seeing posts about giant hospital pads.  How big are we talking here?  I'm pretty sure I didn't get those when I had DS.  They had me shove two pads, side by side that were about 9" long inside those mesh underwear.  Please tell me that's not normal.  That was horrible.

ETA: maybe 9" is generous. They didn't really cover my butt at all, so maybe 6".  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 

Re: Hospital pads? 2+ moms

• From what I can remember they are extra long, like they go from the front of your vagina to almost your butthole. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Think the thickest biggest period pads you can find in the store and that is basically what they are. ilovelife described them well. The hospital will give you disposable panties so you dont ruin your own and you just stick the pads in the undies. You will bleed even after you get home so while you are in the hospital clean out a pile each day and pack them in a bag to take home. They wont charge you extra and they can care less how many you use/take because they charge the same in the room bill. I prefer them over buying depends when you get home. I tried both and hated wearing the diaper. The diapers are better for when the bleeding dies down mostly and you only have the occassional big one. Then you can switch to panty liners after it is almost done.
  • Loading the player...
  • The ones I got just weren't that huge. Maybe my hospital was cheap or they ran out of the big ones or something? But the ones I was given were just a thick kinda long maxi pad. Nothing shockingly huge. I will say, they kept one of those waterproof pads under me too in the bed and it did get bled on some while I slept occasionally. But for the most part the pads were fine.
  • I was given the iced maxi pads.  They are pretty thick, but heaven on earth for after birth...especially if you got stitched up.
  • imageDemedoll:
    Think the thickest biggest period pads you can find in the store and that is basically what they are. ilovelife described them well. The hospital will give you disposable panties so you dont ruin your own and you just stick the pads in the undies. You will bleed even after you get home so while you are in the hospital clean out a pile each day and pack them in a bag to take home. They wont charge you extra and they can care less how many you use/take because they charge the same in the room bill. I prefer them over buying depends when you get home. I tried both and hated wearing the diaper. The diapers are better for when the bleeding dies down mostly and you only have the occassional big one. Then you can switch to panty liners after it is almost done.
    Perfect description for mine. And I had a c-section and still needed them.
  • I have some from the hospital back in my bedroom. If anyone is interested, I can post a picture later tonight.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrsLynnyD:
    imageDemedoll:
    Perfect description for mine. And I had a c-section and still needed them.
    I had a c-section and I bled a ton.  Every time the nurses came in to clean me up, they commented on how much blood there was Embarrassed  I hope it's not the same this time!
  • imageterri_doula2010:
    I have some from the hospital back in my bedroom. If anyone is interested, I can post a picture later tonight.
    If you want to, I'd love to see them.  Odd, I know.  I'm just basically trying to figure out if I should bring my own.  I hated the ones last time, so if they're like that for everyone I'm going to bring my own.
  • I would definitely not bother bringing your own. I liked the huge ones, felt more secure that I wasn't going to get blood everywhere.

I was sad when I ran out of them at home when I left the hospital.

I'd say whoever said 9" made a good guess. Sounds about right to me. 

Not in TX any more! - Central PA
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The ones I wore for the first day after birth literally stretched from hip to hip across (cut narrower between the legs) and from my waist in the front around to the waist in the back. It was essentially an adult diaper but it didn't have fasteners, it was held up with the mesh panties. After the worst of the bleeding was over, I was given smaller pads, but they were still at least twice as big as any period pad I've ever seen.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I brought my own, because I am actually allergic to something in Always pads (found that out the hard way!)  I can only use Kotex, so just to be on the safe side I bought the biggest longest, thickest, overnight pads I could find!!  They were about the same size as the hospital ones.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mine were like extra long overnights. 2 pads side by side? That sounds sucky, sorry!

• hmp1hmp1 member
    I've never been a pad girl, so I don't know what brand to compare it too. But I think they are like the overnight ones that are wide and long and thick and have wings.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• I actually have the ones that my hospital gives out in my room so I took a picture for you.  I put a pen next to the pad to give you an idea of how big the pads are comparatively. 

Double the love
    photo Eastercollage_zps0735f04a.jpg
    7/30/12 - B/G twins born at 33w4d due to PPROM
  • imagesmurray217:

I actually have the ones that my hospital gives out in my room so I took a picture for you.  I put a pen next to the pad to give you an idea of how big the pads are comparatively. 

Awesome!  Thanks. Definitely bigger than what I had with DS. 
  • Thanks, smurray! :) I forgot all about this last night. That's what I have too.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageterri_doula2010:
    I have some from the hospital back in my bedroom. If anyone is interested, I can post a picture later tonight.

Im wearing one right now because I have a horrible cough and pee my pants each time I cough.  

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• imageredjetta22:
    The ones I got just weren't that huge. Maybe my hospital was cheap or they ran out of the big ones or something? But the ones I was given were just a thick kinda long maxi pad. Nothing shockingly huge. I will say, they kept one of those waterproof pads under me too in the bed and it did get bled on some while I slept occasionally. But for the most part the pads were fine.

Yeah, mine weren't that big if I recall. They were thicker than what I'd buy, left to my own devices. But I also was given the waterproof pads to keep extra blood off the bed.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"