Breastfeeding

Successful relactation stories??

Looking for some help and advice.

I was determined to nurse my baby boy for at least 6 months when he was born. I did really well until I went back to work when he was 3 months. My milk supply decreased and it was hard to keep up with the pumping at work. To make things worse, after I gave him the bottle he didn't want to nurse anymore. I would get home exhausted after a sleepless night and have to pump and give him the bottle and them pump again before going to bed. I started supplementing with formula and decided to stop nursing completely when he was 4 months.

Little did I know that he was allergic to pretty much everything. We went through Similac Advance, Gentlease, Isomil and finally are now on Alimentum which it seems to be working but it is ridiculously expensive.

I felt so guilty when he got sick all times (major diarrhea going 15 times a day, raw diaper rash and weekly visits to the dr office, 2 hospital visits and many tests including blood test).  I have been working really hard to relactate. I contacted a lactation consultant who has helped me a lot. I rented a hospital grade pump, I pump 6 times a day, take fenugreek 3x a day, lots of water, power pumping once a day etc. I am now able to pump 8oz a day but I am nowhere close the 30oz he drinks a day. The lactation consultant mentioned Reglan and I have an apptm with my ob tomorrow.

Has anyone taken it and was anyone able to relactate without it? Can you share your story, please? I need some help and hope!

Thanks so much!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Successful relactation stories??

• First, kudos to you for your already HEROIC efforts.  Please don't beat yourself up.  :) 

Now, onto your question.  In addition to talking to your doctor about Reglan, I'd consider Domperidone (available online at inhousepharmacy.biz).  Reglan has some pretty bad side effects.  I've been on Dom for 7 months due to supply issues without ANY side effects to me or LO.  Dom isn't approved for use in the U.S., but your doctor can still prescribe it (to be filled at a compounding pharmacy) or you can buy it online (inhousepharmacy).  I buy it online (it comes in name brand blister packs; the name brand is Motilium), because it's cheaper that way by far.  With Dom, over the course of 6 weeks, I went from producing about 10 oz/day to producing 30-40 oz/day!!!  I started at 4 pills 4 times per day (160 mg/day total) and am now taking 3 pills 4 times per day (120 mg/day).  Best of luck to you no matter what you decide!!  

• srbmvpsrbmvp member

I second the recommendation to try Domperidone, versus dealing with the chance of depression with Reglan.

I used dom to relactate with my first son, and it got me producing milk again after 2 months of not breastfeeding at all. Good luck!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageStacyJYay:

First, kudos to you for your already HEROIC efforts.  Please don't beat yourself up.  :) 

Now, onto your question.  In addition to talking to your doctor about Reglan, I'd consider Domperidone (available online at inhousepharmacy.biz).  Reglan has some pretty bad side effects.  I've been on Dom for 7 months due to supply issues without ANY side effects to me or LO.  Dom isn't approved for use in the U.S., but your doctor can still prescribe it (to be filled at a compounding pharmacy) or you can buy it online (inhousepharmacy).  I buy it online (it comes in name brand blister packs; the name brand is Motilium), because it's cheaper that way by far.  With Dom, over the course of 6 weeks, I went from producing about 10 oz/day to producing 30-40 oz/day!!!  I started at 4 pills 4 times per day (160 mg/day total) and am now taking 3 pills 4 times per day (120 mg/day).  Best of luck to you no matter what you decide!!  

thanks so much, that is great to know. When you buy online, how long does it take for it to arrive? After you started taking it, how long did it take for your supply to return to a decent amount? Thanks again, I'm so happy to hear it worked for you! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagesrbmvp:

I second the recommendation to try Domperidone, versus dealing with the chance of depression with Reglan.

I used dom to relactate with my first son, and it got me producing milk again after 2 months of not breastfeeding at all. Good luck!

That is great to know and so encouraging!!! Did you get it online or your doc prescribed it?? 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • AmyRIAmyRI member

No relactation experience, but wanted to offer a suggestion -

Have you considered using donor breastmilk? Eats on Feets and Human Milk 4 Human Babies are both mother-to-mother donations of breast milk. Might be hard if you are on a restricted diet due to his allergies, but I have even seen offers of milk from vegan mothers before. Google those names and your state and there should be a Facebook page where you can post a request or respond to offers. Ask any medical questions about the mother you'd like - I had the same blood tests as a milk bank requests before donating myself. 

Good luck, I hope you succeed in getting your supply up - and remember that every ounce is wonderful for your baby and you're doing a great thing by relactating, even if you can't get back to 30 oz!

#3 Due April 2016
  • imageicoelho:
    imageStacyJYay:

First, kudos to you for your already HEROIC efforts.  Please don't beat yourself up.  :) 

thanks so much, that is great to know. When you buy online, how long does it take for it to arrive? After you started taking it, how long did it take for your supply to return to a decent amount? Thanks again, I'm so happy to hear it worked for you! 

When I buy it online at inhousepharmacy.biz, it takes 1-2 weeks to arrive.  What you can do in the meantime is get a 2-week prescription for it from your doctor (that's if your doc will prescribe it; some won't... not sure why!) that can be filled at a compounding pharmacy so that you have some until it arrives in the mail.  I've had only excellent service from inhouse and the pills arrive in a totally unsketchy packaging, etc.  When I started taking it, I took 160 mg/day and I saw some increase within 2 weeks.  With each passing day, it got a bit better.  By week 6, I was up to 30-40 oz per day (usually about 38 oz!!).  It's my miracle drug.  My LO is 8 months old and in the 86th percentile for weight (born at the 10th percentile).  He has been EBF/EP since the Dom kicked in!  Best of luck to you, and please feel free to private message me with any related questions, etc.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"