Food Allergy

Public pool and severe eczema

Hi all,

DD has severe eczema (milk allergy).  Sometimes in the morning I find blood on her shirt because she was scratching overnight.  She is so much better than when initially diagnosed - but she still battles with it daily -  she is on alimentum and I think it continues to affect her. 

Anyway -- we are going out of town for the weekend.  I was wondering if DD can get into a public pool.  I put in a call to the pedi and i'm waiting to hear back.

What do you think?  I have heard that pool water (because of the chlorine - and i'm guessing also from sitting in the water) makes eczema better - but i would hate to put her in the water and she ends up being worse.

If your LO has eczema - have you taken your LO to a public pool - what was the result?  same, better or worse?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Public pool and severe eczema

• I am not sure- but I just wanted to say good luck and have fun!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS goes in the pool all the time....sometimes his eczema gets a bit more red but I think it may be the sunscreen and not the pool.  He went in an indoor pool and it was horrible...head to toe eczema with no sunscreen to blame.  I think there are way more chemicals in the indoor pool.  I would try it but I would rinse her off in the showere ASAP after she is done and give her tons of cream afterwards.  GL and have fun!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLil Kate:
    DS goes in the pool all the time....sometimes his eczema gets a bit more red but I think it may be the sunscreen and not the pool.  He went in an indoor pool and it was horrible...head to toe eczema with no sunscreen to blame.  I think there are way more chemicals in the indoor pool.  I would try it but I would rinse her off in the showere ASAP after she is done and give her tons of cream afterwards.  GL and have fun!

Thanks ladies!

I don't I will give it a try - it does not sound worth the risk. It's an indoor pool, by the way. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've taken DS to a public indoor pool and our backyard pool.  It seems to clear it up a little bit for a short period of time and didn't seem to make a difference indoor vs outdoor.  Before doing all this I asked my pedi and he said it could go either way, the chlorine helps some kids eczema but for other kids it can make it way worse.  He also said to be sure to rinse DS of really well as soon as we get out of the water. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When we first took DD in for her eczema, it was so bad (head to toe) that our pedi called in another for a second opinion because she was afraid she was missing something. The first thing he asked was if we had taken her in a pool with us. He said summertime is a big increase in eczema cases they see because of pools.
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"