Blended Families

At what age should kids have chores?

I've posted before about how H isn't very strict when it comes to the s-kids cleaning up after themselves. He has come around to making them clean the basement where they spend 80% of their time playing the Wii. And the last time they were here he made them clean their room before they left.

Both scenarios are b/c I "encouraged" him to do so - nicely of course :) I just feel like it's teaching them responsibility. Not only that, but I think we should teach the kids to respect our property as we do, and cleaning is part of that - for us and them.

So is my thinking in line for an 8 and 10 year old? What/how do you all assign chores to kids of the same ages?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: At what age should kids have chores?

• My 5 year old has chores. She is in charge of her room and picking up her toys.She also takes the clothes out of the dryer. She helps hang her clothes and fold towels. She gets help and direction for the most part. There is no reason an 8 yo shouldn't be told to clean or take out the trash.
  • my SD (6) is responsible for cleaning her room before bed and before leaving to go to BM's house.  my 2.5 yr old DS helps me clean his playroom every night before bed. 

expecting an 8 and 10 year old to clean up a mess that THEY made is completely appropriate, and at that age I would also encourage them to put their dishes in the sink, help set the table for dinner, bring in groceries, put laundry in the hamper etc.  I don't think I would be making them vaccum or dust, but they can definitely "help out"

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My SOs daughters ages 4(almost 5) & 6 have chores, they help with putting their laundry away, picking up their play room, making their beds & feeding the kitties while they are here. I suppose they are not exactly chores but they have their own responsibilities. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • At that age I had chores such as clean my room, do dishes, take out the trash, mop the kitchen floor. My kids will have chores when they are that age.
    No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.

• I think that setting the table, taking out trash, maybe cleaning a small bathroom together would be age appropriate. I tend to think that things like dishes and vaccuming and such actualy depend a little on size. But they should certainly be expected to pick up after themselves.
  • I think when kids are old enough to make a mess they are old enough to clean it up. For the itty ones that might just mean "helping" but that teaches them that they ha e to clean up after themselves. At their ages they should absolutely cleaning up after themselves. 
  • imagexmaryrickx:
    I think when kids are old enough to make a mess they are old enough to clean it up. For the itty ones that might just mean "helping" but that teaches them that they ha e to clean up after themselves. At their ages they should absolutely cleaning up after themselves. 

i absolutely agree! my daughter is 2.5 and she has had chores for at least a year! she always had to pick up her own toys. i also, now, have her help me carry small things from the car when we shop. she likes to "help" and doesnt view this as chores. 

i feel chores promote independence and a sense of responsibility - 2 things that i feel are NEVER to young to start aiming for :)

im also 4.5 months pregnant so i let her help me with all things baby to encourage positive feelings about a sibling. im hoping this will encourage her helping me WITH sid sibling when he comes. she will be 3 shortly after but she is very mature. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers       AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• We started our kids as toddlers helping pick up. By preschool they had Independance chores. A chart on the fridge with everyone's daily chores listed on it helps keep all the kids on track. 
    Lucky Mom to 5 girls: 09/97, 06/99, 10/02, 11/04, 04/08 & Peanut #6 due in April! Pregnancy Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Pinterest has tons of links to "Chore Charts by Age". 
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • My 2 yr old has chores. There should be basic things the kids need to do on a daily basis and a few weekly basis things as well. My SS does chores. My son will do them when he is not a 1 yr old anymore. Lol. I believe in children 'working' in the home. I think it sets a good base for work ethic and teaching kids that laziness isn't an option. 
    Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • imageMysterious_wife:
    My 5 year old has chores. She is in charge of her room and picking up her toys.She also takes the clothes out of the dryer. She helps hang her clothes and fold towels. She gets help and direction for the most part. There is no reason an 8 yo shouldn't be told to clean or take out the trash.

I agree. I have a 5, 3, and 1 yr old and they all have chores. Yes even the one year old. He puts his dishes up when hes done eating and puts all his toys in his toy chest daily... 

The other two are responsible for keeping there rooms clean, clothes put up, and a list of other things... i dont see why an 8 yr old wouldnt have chores. it teaches them to be responsible and care for their and others belongings...

• emikatemikat member
    SS is 4 and he sets the table and cleans his own room.  He's been doing this for at least a year.  He also helps walk the dog and other small things.  

TTC 10/11. IUI 2/12. BFP 3/8/12. 4/26/12 missed mc. RE consult 5/17/12. IVF #1 ER 7/13/12 53R, 41M ICSIed, 32F, 8 5d, 6 6d blasts - all PGD/frozen. PGD results 1 normal M and 1 normal F, 1 maybe M. FET 9/6, transferred 1 F embie. Beta 9/15 BFN. FET#2 planned for 11/2012 put off until 2013. Surprise BFP 11/21/12!! My son was born on 7/24/13!

FET 4/28/2015 - Transferred 1 M embie. 5/6/15 BFP!

• At those ages, they should have chores and with your younger SS having autism I would definitely suggest using a chore chart and perhaps even a set time to each day to do certain chores.

DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• my 10 yr old SS is in charge of cleaning his room, putting away his laundry, and picking up his own messes inside & outside the house - we've talked about adding more but he's only with us 2 days a week so its hard to come up with things he can do that we don't already have to get done during the week. Once Baby K comes we may ask him to do more.

He has asked for an allowance like he gets at BM's & I asked what he did to contribute to the "family" - no answer = no allowance 

image image image
  • Both of my boys ages 7 and 4 clear the table (their stuff) after each meal, clean their rooms, make their beds and put away their clean clothes. The 7 year old gets paid to sweep the kitchen and dining room, empty his trash can, and "dusting." The 4 year old gets paid to sweep the bathroom and empty the bathroom trash.

All of their chores would take them no more than 15 minutes, unless their rooms are realy bad. Kids should be able to be kids, but they also need to learn responsibility.

Mother of two wonderful boys! Blessed through adoption.

• DS has been doing "chores" since he was about 2 and DD is already doing chores. Little things like putting toys back and dusting with socks on their hands. DS is old enough to help in the kitchen, set and clear the table, feed the pets, etc. I think chores is important. It makes them feel accomplished and good about themselves, and instills a good work ethic.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"