Pre-School and Daycare

Clicky Poll - Would you call the cops or ignore?

I took DD to soccer last night. We were really early so we just hung around waiting. The 3rd car to pull in the parking lot was a pickup truck. The kind where it only sits two adults up front - no cab or any other seating. Out comes dad (driving), a 4 or 5 year old who was sitting between the parents, and mom who was holding 1 year old on her lap. No car seats for either kid.

[Poll]
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Clicky Poll - Would you call the cops or ignore?

• The police told another bumpie that you should call 911 right away when you see a child not properly in a car seat. It is very hazardous and in an emergency.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesuperherostocker:
    The police told another bumpie that you should call 911 right away when you see a child not properly in a car seat. It is very hazardous and in an emergency.

It depends on your state's laws. In my state if your primary mode of transportation is a truck like that and you have 3 children, as long as all of the seat belts are being used then there is no citation that can be issued or anything.  So, calling the police wouldn't do anything.  Again, I'm sure this varies from state to state.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I did not call the cops but I've been thinking about it so much I wish I would have. If I found out they got in an accident and those kids were hurt, I would have never forgiven myself. I got curious so I looked up the law for my state.... nothing about an exemption if that's their primary mode of transportation. Oh, and here are the fines for my state:

The penalty for violating the child passenger law involving a child under the age of 4 is not less than $30 or more than $75. The penalty for violating the child passenger law involving a child between the ages of 4-8 is not less than $10 or more than $25.

So, they would have been fined $40 - $100.

Last soccer class is next week. This should be interesting!

• imageApril37:

The penalty for violating the child passenger law involving a child under the age of 4 is not less than $30 or more than $75. The penalty for violating the child passenger law involving a child between the ages of 4-8 is not less than $10 or more than $25.

Amazing how a state can mandate a dollar value of $30-$75 on a child's LIFE. Whenever I see an unrestrained child, I immediately call police. Even a fender bender could kill a young child because of irresponsible parents.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageApril37:

I did not call the cops but I've been thinking about it so much I wish I would have. If I found out they got in an accident and those kids were hurt, I would have never forgiven myself. I got curious so I looked up the law for my state.... nothing about an exemption if that's their primary mode of transportation. Oh, and here are the fines for my state:

I would call and have done so in the past. Unfortunately when we were living in NYC and I called I was told that "the police have real things to worry about." But I would think in most areas they would look for the family and make it clear how unsafe this is. Hopefully they would also help them find resources to transport everyone safely (there are things out there if you look).

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepenguingrrl:
    imageApril37:

I did not call the cops but I've been thinking about it so much I wish I would have. If I found out they got in an accident and those kids were hurt, I would have never forgiven myself. I got curious so I looked up the law for my state.... nothing about an exemption if that's their primary mode of transportation. Oh, and here are the fines for my state:

I would call and have done so in the past. Unfortunately when we were living in NYC and I called I was told that "the police have real things to worry about." But I would think in most areas they would look for the family and make it clear how unsafe this is. Hopefully they would also help them find resources to transport everyone safely (there are things out there if you look).

Kind of sad that they don't consider reckless endangerment of a child a "real thing" :(

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit
  • imageCalinsBride:
    imagepenguingrrl:
    imageApril37:

Kind of sad that they don't consider reckless endangerment of a child a "real thing" :(

I know. I was really upset. Then again, carseats are not required in cabs, which is how half of NYCs children ride anyway. So I guess it's consistent that car safety just isn't taken seriously in the city.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just a quick update.... the family drove a different car to yesterday's soccer game. I'm relieved that I didn't have to call the cops but I hope that they realize how dangerous their actions were.
  • imagepenguingrrl:
    imageApril37:

I have never seen a way to put four people in a truck really safe but we did it when I was little we had two seatbelts in the middle of the truck.  Somepeople NEED a truck and one with a big cab can be very expensive even used.

Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
    DH Brain Cancer
    BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
    BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
    BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
    Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"