1st Trimester
Options

If I am ectopic at 5 weeks and 2 days, would I be in constant pain???

I am very worried about what my RE told me yesterday of possibly being ectopic and have to return tomorrow to confirm. However, during my research (constant research) I have discovered that:

1. A lot of people complain about pain on one side

2. 5 weeks and 2 days might be too early to see what is going on

I am still looking for that glimmer of hope but the odds aren't looking too good. I am spotting brown and the doctor told me yesterday that their is something close to the tube. So, I am quite upset and a bit obsessive until I know for sure. My question is would tomorrow still be too soon to see anything properly and wouldn't I be in constant pain by now?? 

Re: If I am ectopic at 5 weeks and 2 days, would I be in constant pain???

• Options
    MAtoNCMAtoNC member

I did not have any significant pain, but I did start spotting at about 5 weeks. Very minor, and it went away. Midway through the 5th week, they confirmed that there was no gestational sac in my uterus, but a suspicious mass at the end of my tube near my ovary. I was diagnosed ectopic and treated with methotrexate.  

I am really sorry you are going through this. I hope that it isn't ectopic. 

ETA: During my first pregnancy, I did have some right-sided discomfort. It was the corpus luteal cyst, and my pregnancy was otherwise healthy and happy. My son was born the following November. 

Married 4/12/08 DS born 11/17/2009 via c-section at 39 weeks. 11/12/2011 BFP #2!! m/c 7w5d. 2/28/2012 BFP #3 Beta #1-12dpo = 18; Beta #2-16dpo = 185; Beta #3-18dpo = 505. EDD 11/10/2012. Ectopic discovered at 5w4d. D&C followed by methotrexate.
  • Options

I was ectopic around 5 weeks and wasn't in major pain.  I started bleeding and thought I was having a miscarriage.  However my HCG went from 4 back up to 120 but not in a doubling growth pattern.  A vaginal ultrasound around 6 weeks showed there wasn't anything in my uterus and I had bleeding in my abdomen.  They couldn't see anything in my fallopian tubes with the ultrasound.  I had an explorative laparoscopy and the ectopic pregnancy was discovered and removed from my tube.  My fallopian tube looked like a snake that had swolled a mouse.  It was so huge and shocking they couldn't see it on an ultrasound.  My tube was saved, but I had to wait 6 months to try and get pregnant again so my tube could heal.  I've gone on to have two healthy children and I'm pregnant with a third.

Everyone is different.  I'm hoping that your pregnancy isn't ectopic and tomorrow they will be able to see a gestational sac in your uterus!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't have experience, but I want to post to say you are in my thoughts. I hope everything works out for a healthy pregnancy. Sending you E-hugs.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Thanks ladies!! I am trying to think about the glimmer of hope and I have been on this site constantly trying to get advice, answers and support. There are not too many people I can speak to about his besides my Hubby. What is going to hurt most is actually telling my family and facing my co workers to tell them the disappointing news. So, I am not trying to be annoying and bombard the board with excessive questions. However, when you are not able to speak to family yet about what might be going on and go to work having to deal with questions and congrats and stuff, it is really hard.
  • Options
    I have never been through it personally but a lot of women say towards their 6-8week range.  And the pain is like HORRIBLE, some even pass out.

Love, Amanda

expecting our little miracle in February

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    kegkeg member
    With my ectopic (in the 5ish week range), I spotted from the very beginning.  Heck, I thought I was getting my period and after I only after I was spotting for a couple days with no full flow did I take a test.  The day I was diagnosed I had some heavier red bleeding as well as one-sided flank pain.  Everyone felt it was strange that I was having pain that early (I was actually hospitalized for a night because of that).  I wasn't crazy pain, but it was definitely something.  They did have trouble trying to figure out if it was ectopic.  It wasn't terribly clear with the RE's u/s, but I also had an u/s in the radiology department and from that, it was clearer that it was an ectopic. Good luck to you and I hope you have some more definitive answers tomorrow.  
    2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• Options
    My pain was never constant, even when my tube was completely stretched and ready to burst. I had pain and spotting for 2 or so days, then it went away but my ectopic was discovered a few days later and I lost my left tube.
    My best friend just had a ruptured ectopic earlier this year.  She had what she thought was a regular m/c for her (she's had so many, unfortunately she's a pro at it), and then a few weeks later she was having pain that was similar to a horrible UTI.  She'd had one u/s back when the bleeding started I think and they didn't find anything in her tubes, but they didn't find anything in her uterus either.  She kept having this teeny little voice inside telling her it was ectopic, but the doctor didn't think so, so she dropped it.  One morning a few weeks after the bleeding, she woke up in severe pain.  They transported her via ambulance to the hospital.  The lady giving her the u/s caused her tube to rupture due the pressure she was applying during the u/s.  She was put under and had surgery right away.  It was awful.  Her message to anyone suspecting an ectopic, be proactive and demand a thorough examination.  And a repeat exam if betas aren't dropping the way they should (hers didn't).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageShayliz:
    My pain was never constant, even when my tube was completely stretched and ready to burst. I had pain and spotting for 2 or so days, then it went away but my ectopic was discovered a few days later and I lost my left tube.

One of my ectopics, that one that ruptured didn't hurt all the time before rupturing, but it did hurt intermittently, and totally uncomfortable. After rupturing it hurt really bad, double over kind of hurt.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageShayliz:

One of my ectopics, that one that ruptured didn't hurt all the time before rupturing, but it did hurt intermittently, and totally uncomfortable. After rupturing it hurt really bad, double over kind of hurt.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    With my ectopic the pain was HORRIBLE.  I felt more like 8 months prego instead of 8 weeks.  And I passed out too!  Wouldn't want anyone to go through it!
  • Options

:::lurking:::

I am sorry you are experiencing this. I hope your next appt will give you some answers.

With my ectopic, I had had strong abdominal pain (off and on) for about a month. Then I started bleeding on 6/17, with more pain. I had emergency surgery 6/20 because my tube had ruptured, I was in extreme pain, blacking out, knees giving out, and I was very scared. I was around 5-6 weeks.

You are in my thoughts.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"