September 2012 Moms

Car Sun Shade Safety

OK-being married to a firefighter/paramedic has its perks but sometimes everything gets turned into a safety recall. He said sun shades on car windows aren't safe because they can become projectiles in the crash. Really?!  What do you all think?

Bonus question: we're not using a bumper but he thinks a breathable one is just as bad-even though I say it'll help with stuck limbs-thoughts? 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Car Sun Shade Safety

• imageTAGSL710:

OK-being married to a firefighter/paramedic has its perks but sometimes everything gets turned into a safety recall. He said sun shades on car windows aren't safe because they can become projectiles in the crash. Really?!  What do you all think?

Welcome to my being married to a police officer world :) and I've heard that.  FWIW, we use the Brica sticky one, which "gums" to the window, not the roll up/roll down ones.  DH is okay with the sticky one because it stays on the window vs. the others.

Bonus question: we're not using a bumper but he thinks a breathable one is just as bad-even though I say it'll help with stuck limbs-thoughts? 

No idea, we just don't use bumpers at all. My kids haven't had issues with getting stuck though, so I've never put the thought into the breathable bumpers.  GL!

ETA: a word :)

Married ~ DD 2004 ~ 2 2nd tri losses ~ DS 2011 5 weeks 1 day early ~ DD2 2012
  • Manx4Manx4 member

Anything & everything in your car can become a projectile in a crash - cell phone, purse, cups, whatever.  So yes, it could but does that mean you won't have anything in your car that isn't latched down?

Bottom line, research, educate yourself and do what you feel is best and safest for you & your family.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageTAGSL710:

I've heard this as well, though we have them in our car because DS freaks out when the sun is in his eyes.  We also had a mirror on the back of the seat as well (plastic not glass), so that we could see DS when he was backwards.  Also a safety hazard (I learned afterwards).

We skipped the bumper all the way around with DS.  Yes, his arms stuck out sometimes, but he usually figured it out or we went in and moved him around.  He learned eventually.  Smile

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• hmp1hmp1 member

We have never used a sun shade in the car. The infant seats have a shade and DS wears a hat a lot now. He never seems to care.

We did use the breathable bumper (still do, and will again) because of the limbs. It is scary to hear that scream the first time they get their leg stuck. But if your husband isn't comfortable with them, it isn't a big deal to not use them.  

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• I agree anything in your car that isnt attached can be a projectile.  We didnt use bumpers or car shades,  with DS but he didnt freak out when limbs went through the crib slats he just pulled them back in. And he sat in the middle of our car for a long time so the sun didnt really get in his eyes and if it did he just turned his head, it didnt make him upset or anything.  We do use one of the mirrors though to watch him since he is still RF. i got a talking to when they did our carseat check/install of the convertible, I told them we have it as secure as we can and it is safer than me twisting and turning in the seat while driving. Do what you got to do and safely. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yeah, I can see how the shades on the window could projectile, but I really don't worry too much about that.  Our neighborhood is pretty slow and I don't like the sun being in my baby's eyes.  They get rather fussy and I know I get a slamming headache when the sun hits my eyes the right way.  In our Jeep Grand Cherokee we have the Jeep sun shades that stick on the window and pull down for our little ones.  Has worked well so far :)

The bumpers... I don't care for bumpers in general just because I like to see inside my baby's crib from the doorway. But I would use them for sure if I thought my baby was likely to get a limb stuck or sleep with the face against the rail. I think the mesh are ok but they seems like they would be more likely to tangle since they are less stiff. I could be wrong though since I haven't used them.

Good for him for thinking safely!  I think the sun shade one is a pinch over concerned though.  :)

Dexter 08/31/2012~Summer 07/25/2011~Jack 10/21/2008~Aaron 08/12/2007
  • skyejoskyejo member
    Eh, I agree with others--everything in a car can be a projectile.  I tried a sun shade for a while but they never fit my windows right.  What does your DH think is bad about the breathable bumpers? My biggest concern with traditional bumpers was lack of airflow and suffucation risk, both which aren't issues with the breathable bumpers.  I'd much rather have those up than little limbs stuck in the slats.
  • Yes, the sun shades with the bar at the top can become a projectile in a crash.  I have been a certified child passenger safety tech in the past, and one the best quotes I have heard is "if you wouldn't throw it at your child's head at 30mph, then don't have it loose in your car."  This includes things like pets, toys, tissue boxes, etc.

You can get stick-on window shades or film to use instead.  I never felt like we needed anything like that - I used the shade with the infant seat and now DD will wear a hat or sunglasses.

I never used any kind of bumper.  I think people tend to over-react about the issue of limbs getting stuck.  Unless you have the kind of child who is constantly wiggling over and sticking out their arms and legs (and then waking up), I wouldn't bother.  I found DD sleeping with her legs out of the slats many a time, and never once did it hurt her, or even wake her up.

TTC since 11/05...ectopic pg 4/08...early m/c 6/09...BFP 10/5/09!
    Nora B...June 15, 2010...8lbs, 8oz...Med-free birth!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2 since 7/11...cycle #3 of Clomid + IUI = BFP
    Malcolm...September 21, 2012...8lbs, 6oz...Another med-free birth!

• imageOceanLover26:

The bumpers... I don't care for bumpers in general just because I like to see inside my baby's crib from the doorway. But I would use them for sure if I thought my baby was likely to get a limb stuck or sleep with the face against the rail.

Indifferent Wow, this is missing the point. So you don't like bumpers because they obstruct visibility, but you would use a crib bumper if your baby were sleeping with his face against the rail? That's exactly the danger of bumpers--they can suffocate babies. It's so much better for a baby to sleep with his face against the slats (which allow air flow) than with his face buried in fabric and polyester padding.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageManx4:

Anything & everything in your car can become a projectile in a crash - cell phone, purse, cups, whatever.  So yes, it could but does that mean you won't have anything in your car that isn't latched down?

Bottom line, research, educate yourself and do what you feel is best and safest for you & your family.  

This :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"