Multiples

humor me pls: di-di twins and IVF

So discussing the article posted below got me thinking, and I've been meaning to ask my RE this but always forget.   As a non-MoM, my knowledge isn't all that great, but di-di twins usually split between 1-3 days after fertilization (right?).  So for IVF, would it be feasible that they could fully split before a 5 or 6 day transfer....would they be able to see that and transfer them separately?  No real point to this question, just curious so hopefully it isn't an entirely ridiculous one.

imageimage
2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

Re: humor me pls: di-di twins and IVF

• Glad you posted this.  I want to know the answer, too!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know there's someone out there with di/di IVF identical twins, but frankly, I'm not sure how that happens. Maybe they split in the petri dish? But I assume they count the embryos? I don't know all of the exact details of IVF, but generally speaking, IVF does not produce di/di identicals. The split would happen before they're transferred, and I'd think they keep a pretty close eye on what happens to them in the lab.
    How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • Loading the player...
  • As far as I know (never had any infertility treatments), they manually select the embryos to transfer, one at a time. If the embryo is selected at day 5 and implanted that day, there is no way for it to split into a true di/di identical pregnancy. They also do not split while frozen. If you have IVF and the twins are di/di, it is almost always going to be because two separate fraternal embryos took. 

Di/Di twins in a natural conception have a very low chance of being identical (varied studies show anywhere from 16%-30% of identical twins being Di/Di - and since identicals only make up about a third of all twins, that drops even further - making "Identical Di/Di" twins equate to only about  5%-10% of all Di/Di twins in natural conception. For IVF, it's simply too improbable. 

image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• I had the same question after reading that, how wacky would it be to have ID "twins" of different ages?I wonder if you can have them split in the dish...
  • imageRynleigh:

As far as I know (never had any infertility treatments), they manually select the embryos to transfer, one at a time. If the embryo is selected at day 5 and implanted that day, there is no way for it to split into a true di/di identical pregnancy. They also do not split while frozen. If you have IVF and the twins are di/di, it is almost always going to be because two separate fraternal embryos took. 

This isn't true, IVF does not always results in fraternal twins, it is still possible for identical twins. There are many cases where only 2 embryos were transfered and 1 of those embryos split = Triplets. 

Photobucket TTC since 1999. Unexplained Infertility. IUI#1 Oct. 12/11 - BFN IUI#2 - Nov 8 - Failed
    IUI#3 - Jan 6 IVF#1 -5/18 - stims start (225 gonal f, 75 menopur, 5 lupron) ER 5/29 - 14R, 11M, 7F. 6/1 - Transferred 2 8cell embryos (grade 1 and 2). 8dp3dt +HPT, Beta#1 - 92, Beta #2 - 174, Beta#3 - 614, Beta#4 - 2010. 6wk u/s - TWINS! Baby A 114bpm, Baby B 112 bpm Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageApril+:
    This isn't true, IVF does not always results in fraternal twins, it is still possible for identical twins. There are many cases where only 2 embryos were transfered and 1 of those embryos split = Triplets. 

Identical twins, yes - absolutely - the kind that split *after* IVF, i.e. after day 3, i.e. NOT Di/Di.  

image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Apparently di/di monozygotic twins have happened after day 5 transfer single embryo transfer.

Yes this goes against everything we know or thought we knew about zygostiy and chorionicity.

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • imageE&RMommy:

Apparently di/di monozygotic twins have happened after day 5 transfer single embryo transfer.

Yes this goes against everything we know or thought we knew about zygostiy and chorionicity.

Yes. I think festivus is the poster here whose di/di IVF twins are identical.

J - 9/6/09 L and A - 1/17/12
  • I know of 4 separate cases off the top of my head that have ID's from IVF.  1 of them did a SET, so obviously it split after the transfer.
  • Mo/di is not uncommon after IVF. Di/di is very rare in that situation.
    How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • I have no knowledge of this, but I did do IVF. I had a day 3 transfer which is the most common type of transfer at MY clinic, so I would imagine you could have some Di-Di Identical IVF twins with a 3 day transfer.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • thanks ladies!

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"