August 2012 Moms
Options

PUPPS and Induction - Vent

Had a Drs appointment today and was officially diagnosed with PUPPS. 

Tomorrow I have to go for blood work and Saturday I have to go to the hospital for a non-stress test and then to see him again next Tuesday.

During our visit he said he wants to induce me because of them because they can be harmful for the baby.  I have not been able to find a single article or anything online where it says it's harmful at all to the baby.

I really, really, really do NOT want to get induced unless there is a real danger to my child or myself.   Anyone know anything about PUPPS?  I've also heard that it happens mostly in pregnancies with Boys.  Since I'm team green I'm curious to know if this held true or not.

I'm so disappointed right now :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: PUPPS and Induction - Vent

• Options

About 70% of PUPPS pregnancies are boys, you are correct. You are also correct that there is no harm to the baby or you (except cosmetic) with PUPPS. Here is an article to bring with you to your doctor. Its from the American Academy of Family Physicians. https://www.aafp.org/afp/2007/0115/p211.html

I'm thinking your doctor just likes inductions for convienence and it hoping to slide one over on you. Good luck with your decision. I will say that some women beg for induction with PUPPS because it is so miserible. Good luck!

TTC #3 since Feb 2014 DS 1: 2010 DS 2: 2012
  • Options
    imageTravelSnob:

Had a Drs appointment today and was officially diagnosed with PUPPS. 

Tomorrow I have to go for blood work and Saturday I have to go to the hospital for a non-stress test and then to see him again next Tuesday.

During our visit he said he wants to induce me because of them because they can be harmful for the baby.  I have not been able to find a single article or anything online where it says it's harmful at all to the baby.

I really, really, really do NOT want to get induced unless there is a real danger to my child or myself.   Anyone know anything about PUPPS?  I've also heard that it happens mostly in pregnancies with Boys.  Since I'm team green I'm curious to know if this held true or not.

I'm so disappointed right now :(

Sorry you're disappointed and that you have to go through that!

I didn't know what PUPPS was, so I just googled it and funny enough the first thing that caught my eye was "One study has shown that male fetal DNA can be found in skin biopsies of the rash. Since 70% of women with PUPPP give birth to boys, a new hypothesis is that male fetal DNA acts as a skin irritant".

Now I'm really interested to see if you're harboring a little baby boy in there! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Can I ask- what's wrong with induction?
  • Options

imageReilly626:
    Can I ask- what's wrong with induction?

Inductions increase the risk of fetal distress, operative deliveries (vacuum/forcep) and c-sections and maternal hemorrhage postpartum.

• Options

Yea, he is giving you a big load of bs, don't let him push you to an induction if you don't want one.  

Also, I've heard switching to tar soap can help with the rash. GL don't scratch, and try to keep the bumps hydrated, they itch worse when they dry out.  

• Options
    If you don't want to be induced because of the use of Pitocin, maybe you could request to be induced with Cervadil. It's used a lot in women who want natural births without pain medication/the risk of needing an epidural. If you can't find anything online indicating that it's harmful to the baby, I'd call your doctor or just talk to him at your next visit. Tell him that you researched it and didn't find anything, and ask him why it is harmful to your LO and what could happen if you were to refuse the induction. 
    A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• Options

Thanks for all the help ladies.  I'll bring that article to my Doctor on Tuesday and see what he says.  I don't want to piss him off either but seriously do not want an induction for absolutely no reason.

Induction problems:
    -Your body isn't ready for induction so abnormally painful, strong or long contractions that cause stress on the baby, lower heart rate...
    -Longer labour
    -If it's not successful you'll need to have a c-section
    -Higher risk of infection
    -Umbilical cord problems (when they break your waters the Umbilical Cord can slip though and cause lack of oxygen to the baby)

There are many other risks as well.  That and the fact that I really want a natural birth so to be forced into an induction for no real reason would be really upsetting to me.

• Options
    That is a bunch of BS.  PUPPS is awful for mom, but will not harm the baby.  Now if there is some other cause of itching- like cholestasis of pregnancy- that is a different story.  Cholestasis is associate with stillbirth and induction is indicated at term.  Hopefully he is checking your bile salts with the lab work, but if all is normal I would not feel pressured into an induction.

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• Options

I had PUPPS after I gave birth and at it's worst, I would have begged for an induction even at 37 weeks.  Mine started slow on my belly but ended up on my arms, legs, hands and feet.  It was horrible and I wouldn't wish it on (almost) anyone.

Yours sounds like it might not be too bad yet.  I would ask to be referred to a dermatologist to make sure it stays that way.

Good Luck! 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

When he first said it was PUPPS I said that's what I thought it was.  I had researched it before and went in on Friday and saw a student doctor who was clueless. He asked me to come back to see him Today and gave me a script for a cream with steroids which I decided not to take. 

Anyway, he asked me what I found during my reading regarding what the side effects of PUPPS are and I said that from what I read there weren't any harmful effects to the baby or myself besides itching. 

When he started talking induction I said that I didn't want to be induced just for my comfort and he said something about the baby being premature which doesn't make sense to me since I'm 37 weeks and wouldn't inducing be forcing the baby to come earlier?

He also said something about the baby and the risk of having a bowel movement inside of me which is extremely toxic but I can't find anything on that anywhere.

Then he told me not to be hard on myself if things don't go as I want them to (ie: induction) and I said I have no problem being induced if there's a valid reason.

• Options

Yep he's checking my Bile salts

My PUPPS are pretty bad, affecting my arms and feet now and I didn't sleep last night but still liveable.  I just think an induction would be worse.

• Options
    julzejulze member
    I had pupps with my first child and it was HORRIBLE!! Nothing and I mean nothing cured the itch!! I had it from week 33 until shortly after I delivered at 40 weeks. I have never heard anything about it being harmful to baby. I saw from your post above about the baby making a bowel movement from the inside (meconium) which seemed to have proven true for me, but I hadn't heard of that being associated with PUPPS. Don't be buying blue just yet, I had it with my daughter!
  • Options
    Just wanted to chime in to "ditto" what everyone else has already shared.  I currently have PUPPS and what the others have said is completely true.  Mine was absolutely horrendous... covered me from the top of my neck to my ankles... started out as red bumps, progressed to looking like blisters that changed from a light pink to a purplish-red, and eventually looked like large patches of dark eczema.  Regardless of the color of the rash, it was VERY itchy and kept me from getting much sleep.  I would HIGHLY recommend trying Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap.  I've been showering 3-4 times daily with it and my rash now looks like light pink eczema in some areas, and it's gone in others.  I'm still itchy, but nowhere near the same degree as I was for the last 2 weeks.  I've been also following it up with a mixture of Lubriderm and hydrocortisone cream after each shower (as recommended by my nurse practitioner).  Please don't feel pressured in to an induction if you're not comfortable with it.  A different nurse practitioner had originally suggested a 37 week induction for me when I came in with the rash (I was 35 weeks exactly when I was officially diagnosed), but also let me know that it's totally up to the patient because it doesn't have any effect on the baby.  If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me! :o)
    imageimageimage
    Anniversary              Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imageTravelSnob:

When he first said it was PUPPS I said that's what I thought it was.  I had researched it before and went in on Friday and saw a student doctor who was clueless. He asked me to come back to see him Today and gave me a script for a cream with steroids which I decided not to take. 

Anyway, he asked me what I found during my reading regarding what the side effects of PUPPS are and I said that from what I read there weren't any harmful effects to the baby or myself besides itching. 

When he started talking induction I said that I didn't want to be induced just for my comfort and he said something about the baby being premature which doesn't make sense to me since I'm 37 weeks and wouldn't inducing be forcing the baby to come earlier?

He also said something about the baby and the risk of having a bowel movement inside of me which is extremely toxic but I can't find anything on that anywhere.

Then he told me not to be hard on myself if things don't go as I want them to (ie: induction) and I said I have no problem being induced if there's a valid reason.

He is talking about meconium being passed in utero. There is no correlation between PUPPS and meconium being passed. In fact, induction is associated with meconium being passed. If he was referencing going post-dates and increased risk of meconium, that is accurate. I think your doctor is using every scare tactic he can to get you to agree to induction.

Not to scare you, but I know of doctors (ps. i was labor nurse for 6 years and I've worked with over 50 OBs) who will do anything they can to induce because then they don't get called at 3 am on a saturday. I have also worked with doctors who I have never seen deliver a baby vaginally. They give a reason for a c-section in every single scenario. "Baby's too big" and "risk of shoulder dystocia" are two really common things these "doctors" say. I put doctors in quotes to insinuate my lack of respect for them.

Good luck and stand your ground. Research like you have been, its your birth, be safe and make wise choices.

• Options

Thank you so much everyone.  I feel much more confident in my stance and will definitely fight against an induction if it comes to that. 

This Doctor has a great reputation in my town however, I don't think peo2ple research or are knowledgeable and just go with what the Doctor says.  I hope with the fact that I told him I had already researched the condition and was aware of it and the fact I'm against induction he'll come into our next appointment differently and know I wont be a push over. I wonder what he'll say when I didnt find any link to meconium and PUPPS.  I will print out several different articles and bring them to my next appointment and see what he says.

triagain2 - I'm actually due on the Sunday of the long weekend so that did cross my mind.   

• Options
    My mom had it with me and I am a girl.  She was never induced.  It also didn't go away after she gave birth which it usually does.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicPhotobucket
  • Options

Hmm.  PUPPPS is not harmful to you or the baby.  This is the first I have heard of this and I have done a lot of reading up on it.  I know doctors usually know their stuff, and you should absolutely listen to your doctor before the internet....but where is the research behind it?  Can he provide you with any? 

I was induced at 40 weeks due to having it and little movement with my NST (my doctor would not induce based on the rash alone, btw), but I personally wouldn't choose an induction before 39 weeks because of it.  I know it's absolutely miserable....I couldn't sleep or function.  I had it everywhere but my face.  But I really don't see the need to induce....not worth your baby not being ready.   

Is he maybe confused between this and Cholestasis?  

ETA:  My son never had a bile movement inside me, fwiw.

I also want to ditto trying Grandpa's Pine Tar soap or limiting your showers/and without using any other soaps, cool showers (heat aggravates it), and loose clothing.  Stay in the a/c and I know this is hard...but don't scratch.  I took Benadryl at night to help the itching long enough to help me fall alseep.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I was diagnosed with PUPPS yesterday and the itch is so annoying! My midwives did not say a thing about induction and I haven't read anything about risks. Sometimes I wish they would mention induction though because I want to cut my hands off most days due to the itching!!!! Good luck talking with your doctor and with PUPPS!

• Options
    Didn't know about being harmful - but I have PUPPS and I'm having a girl - so you are still team green!
  • Options

Glad to hear about all the ladies having girls with PUPPS.  Not that I wouldn't love a boy but I'm glad a girl isn't off the table just yet ;)

I am definitely going to go into my next appointment better informed and if he tries to push an induction on me I will definitely have a lot to say on the matter, especially since I am unable to find anything anywhere about the harmful effects of PUPPS on the baby or myself. 

We'll see what the blood tests come up with and I've been having contractions so I'm hoping that Baby comes on it's own.  He told me today my cervix isn't ready but we all know that can change at any time.  

My acupuncturist is off this week but as soon as she's back I'd rather try getting induced by her than by meds.  I'll be over 38 weeks and I do know exactly when my dates are so I'm sure how far along I am.

Pisses me right off that he's trying to push me into an induction and I will definitely say so and ask him for proof of where it says it's dangerous.  I hope he was confusing it with something else and will research it this week and come back with a different opinion next week as he now knows I'm not just one of those uninformed patients he can push over.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"