Military Families

breast pumps and tricare prime

hello on the other board someone said starting in September that some insurances will be covering the cost of breast pump purchases or rentals

does anyone know if tricare prime covers this??? I try and talk to them over and over and over and all I can do is leave a message and they never get back in touch with me!!!

Re: breast pumps and tricare prime

• NSLNSL member

Short answer: no.

Long answer: If your baby is born prematurely then you will likely be able to get Tricare to cover the cost of a pump.  Pray this doesn't happen. 

• Actually the above poster is no longer correct. Starting in August when this part of ACA goes into effect all insurances will have to cover breastfeeding supplies (ie-pump) and lactation appts. 

Now how different insurances go about covering this and the amount covered is all dependent on how they write their policy. I am on Tricare South (Humana) and have spent the last few days calling around trying to get an idea on what their policy will be. At the end of everything the definitive answer is that the policy is still being written/reviewed and no one knows anything yet! Surprise surprise! ;)  I have also heard that while the new policy has be be in place by August 2012 and available for new enrollees they can push the coverage back until open enrollment for current people. 

In a nut shell....it is a mess ;)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • https://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/jsp/Medical/IsItCovered.do;jsessionid=NLMKQHJysJSGdwyp6pQKBFQTqyJdhJq303HNWTr8t9Thrv7jy07S!288111387?kw=Breast+Pump

On there website it says no unless for some premature infants, and only covered in hospital unless doctor says it is medically necessary for it at home.

Sorry. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Our base does provide feast pumps completely free of charge. Contact your CDC and they should be able to direct you to the correct person. At our base if you get a BfP with a doctor at the base clinic it's very easy to et one, if you see a dr off base there are several hoops to jump, but you can still get the pump needed. 
    Air Force Wife and proud SAHM to baby E, TTC #2 while BFing Uploaded with Snapbucket
  • Good information to know. Thanks Ladies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"