2nd Trimester
Options

Reglan vs Zofran

Did anyone have better luck with Reglan? I am still really sick. Zofran isn't cutting it. Spent all night throwing up. I have been prescribed reglan, but after reading up on it- I am hesitant to try.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Reglan vs Zofran

• Options
    fiascofiasco member
    Can't remember if I ever tried Reglan but I know that Zofran never worked for me.  I take the vitamin b6/unisom combo.  Half dose in the afternoon and a full dose around 8pm.  I'm sickest in the evening.  I usually throw up right before bed, but if I take the b6/unisom combo early enough (by like 7) and don't try to talk myself into having dinner I can get to bed at 9 without vomiting.  Any time I eat dinner it comes up no matter what.  At least that was true for the last few weeks.  This past week my m/s seems to be increasing so I'm going to have to start taking it more regularly.  I've been taking it for about 6 weeks.  I see the midwife Thurs I'm going to confirm it's still ok to be taking so much.  Feel better : (
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Any particular reason why you're hesitant to try it? Reglan is a good option if Zofran isn't working for you, as both drugs work differently in the body. Reglan is also used in people with GERD because it promotes gastric emptying and prevents the lower esophageal sphincter from relaxing, therefore preventing reflux of food (and therefore preventing vomiting). Sorry that's a lot of medical speak, I'm a nurse and I tried putting it as simply as possible. Talk to your doctor about your concerns, but it may be a good option for you to try. Hope you feel better soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageblueeyedgirl27:
    Any particular reason why you're hesitant to try it? Reglan is a good option if Zofran isn't working for you, as both drugs work differently in the body. Reglan is also used in people with GERD because it promotes gastric emptying and prevents the lower esophageal sphincter from relaxing, therefore preventing reflux of food (and therefore preventing vomiting). Sorry that's a lot of medical speak, I'm a nurse and I tried putting it as simply as possible. Talk to your doctor about your concerns, but it may be a good option for you to try. Hope you feel better soon!

Yeah, the nausea it what makes me throw up. That's one reason I am hesitant to try. Also, I need to review this drug (I am also an RN), but there is a risk for tardive dyskenesia with use and some other concerning side effects. Anyway, I can't take both so I'm hesitant for that reason as well. 

I was doing half a unisom at night, and that worked well for my nausea. I stopped taking it and started taking the zofran more often. (Since my MD recommended taking the zofran more, but that doesn't seem to be making a difference.) The zofran used to seem to help stop the constant vomiting, but this time they gave me the generic. I'm thinking that might be one reason it is not working as well. Guess I'll call in and see if they can give me a script for the real deal. Hopefully this won't cause problems with my insurance. I was getting the brand zofran before. 

So long winded, but I'm just soooo tired of being sick. I am looking at going back to work next week (I've been out b/c the m/s has been so bad). I will have to have better control than this though to be able to work those hours and take care of really sick people.  

• Options

I have been on reglan for 1 week now. My heartburn/indigestion/gerd (no one can realy figure out what it was) got so out of hand that I couldn't sleep at all and I couldn't eat without throwing up. I tried mylanta, tums, milk, the BRAT diet and nothing worked. Finally my doc saw me and prescribed reglan (i think i have the generic for it) and he said take 1 30 minutes before eating and 1 at bedtime. he also has me taking Zantac according to the box directions. It took about 3 days for the meds to kick in but THANK GOSH they did because I was going nuts!

I would definately talk to the doc before it gets anymore uncomfortable :) Im sure a doc wouldn't give you something that could harm baby.

BabyFetus Ticker Labor buddy to LaceAndLilies
  • Options

I take Zofran in the AM and Reglan in the PM.  This combination has helped a great deal.

Reglan has caused no side effects for me.

• Options

with #1 i was Rxd Reglan and it did nothing.

with #2 they gave me zofran and it worked wonders. i had to drink a ton of water and took prenatals right before bed. 

• Options
    Lurking but wanted to chime in on this- I had hyperemesis with both my pregnancies and with my first the zofran wasnt cutting it so they gave me reglan and it was AWFUL! I felt like I was going to crawl out of my own skin, I was shaky and freaking out and it was really a terrible terrible experience. I would NOT recommend it. What about using phenergan (promethazine)? It does have a side effect of drowsiness but I sometimes had better luck with phenergan than I did with zofran and sometimes I would use the phenergan suppositories if things got really bad which is a nice option when you cant keep anything down at all. GL! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Oh man, thanks for all of the responses! I tried the Reglan yesterday instead of the zofran (since I spent all night the night before throwing up even though taking the zofran). I noticed nothing. In fact, I threw up bile 2 hours after taking it and eating. 

I think my issue with the zofran (though I would in no way say it has been a miracle for my n/v), has been the recent change from brand to generic. I didn't even think about it until it wasn't working i.e. stopping the vomiting where it had been most of the time when I was taking the brand name drug. I also noticed headaches that I hadn't had when taking the brand name.

Hopefully this info will help someone else. I am still missing my unisom, so I may start taking that again at night. I am just really looking forward to getting my life back. If you have had hyperemesis, you know it is truly miserable and feels never ending. I can't believe I have been sick so long! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"