3rd Trimester
Options

low weight gain?

im almost 30 weeks and have gained about 17 pounds. I was slightly underweight before I got pregnant so I know the recommendation for weight gain is at least 28 pounds. Is anyone else having trouble gaining weight or concerned they are not gaining enough? 

I eat about 2-3 small/midsize meals a day and about 3-4 snacks a day.

I try to eat really healthy and avoid junk food. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: low weight gain?

• Options

I'm 35 weeks and have gained 20 pounds. I'm also technically underweight to start with.

Your body knows what to do and will do what it needs to do. As long as you are eating well and measuring on-target, don't worry about the exact number of pounds; it's just an average.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I'm almost 29 weeks and have only gained 7lbs. No one is worried. Baby is currently about 3lbs (had an u/s yesterday). I don't gain a lot of weight while PG. The most I've gained is 24lbs. My last PG I gained 18lbs.......

I didn't start out underweight though. I started out a bit chubby....... 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you're doctor doesn't seem concerned, I wouldn't worry about it. I am at 38 weeks and have only gained 20 pounds. I also eat healthy, drink lots of water, etc. The doctor seems to be ok with where I am at; the baby is measuring spot on for 38 weeks. :)
    imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'm 34 weeks and have gained 14lbs so far.  I am not concerned since my belly measurements have been on track.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I've only gained 10 pounds the entire pregnancy and I'm 31 weeks.  My Dr. mentioned it to me last week at my visit to make sure I had an appetite since my surgery to remove a cyst around 21 weeks.  And I have had an appetite since then.  It's just I eat small amounts at a time and have the entire pregnancy.  Plus I snack on fruit a LOT!  I am a bigger girl too so I know the weight gain shouldn't be TOO high...but with my daughter I gained a total of 25 pounds.  My belly is measuring fine and I will have a U/S within the next few weeks.  My doctor wasn't too concerned about the number...more or less that I was eating and that I felt okay.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've gained 19 lbs so far and I am 36 weeks, I started out a little on the heavy side, not quite overweight.  My doctor hasn't had any concerns and my belly measurements have been right on or measuring slightly ahead.
    image image image
  • Options

I'm 35 weeks and have gained 15 lbs.  I started out at a healthy weight and athletic build.  I have asked the Dr if I should be concerned, and at my 34 wk appt I was measuring 33-34 wks and they said that was fine.  As long as I wasn't experiencing any nausea, vomiting or diahrrea, which I'm not.  So, if since they aren't worried I try not to worry.  I eat what I want, when I want and the boy is very active.  I'm just relieved that I'm not carrying a 9-10 lb baby!  Average size for my family is 6-7, which I think is perfect and not too terribly scary.

• Options

I feel ya- I am 30 weeks and have only gained 12 lbs. I was normal weight to start with and the Dr. said he'd like to see a 25-35lb weight gain.

I was starting to get worried because before this week (I finally gained a lb) I hadn't gained weight in six weeks! I asked my Doctor and they weren't concerned, he said it is all baby and since I'm active at work and still work out that it's only natural I haven't gained as much as other people (plus its hard to over eat in this heat and I get full so quick). He told me to stop comparing my weight to others and since then, I've tried to let it go.

My recommendation is bring it up to your Doctor if you are concerned and if he isn't then try not to worry about it! I keep thinking I'll just gain more these last 10 weeks, we will see.

• Options
    MeNVMeNV member
    I'm 31 weeks, have only gained 10-11 lbs and was slender before pregnancy. Nothing to worry about unless your doctor brings it up. This babe is average size and I measure large. Weight is a weird thing.
    Baby Boy - 03/29/10
    Baby Boy - 08/02/12
    Baby Girl - 04/19/14 Missing her everyday.

• Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. I have only gained 3 pounds and I'm pregnant with twins. But I have 8 pounds of baby in me. If you measure good don't stress over it. If your dr becomes concerned they will let you know. 
  • Options
    At 32 weeks I had lost 19 pounds. I was obese to begin with and I was only supposed to gain 15 pounds, so, yeah... definitely haven't done that. The doctors actually haven't mentioned it at all and the baby has been measuring perfectly.
    Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • Options
    imageMolissa10:

I'm 35 weeks and have gained 15 lbs.  I started out at a healthy weight and athletic build.  I have asked the Dr if I should be concerned, and at my 34 wk appt I was measuring 33-34 wks and they said that was fine.  As long as I wasn't experiencing any nausea, vomiting or diahrrea, which I'm not.  So, if since they aren't worried I try not to worry.  I eat what I want, when I want and the boy is very active.  I'm just relieved that I'm not carrying a 9-10 lb baby!  Average size for my family is 6-7, which I think is perfect and not too terribly scary.

Im only up 14 lbs do far but in the last few weeks  I tend to REALLY retain water.  I only gained 18 with my last pregnancy and had a 9lb baby! 

• Options
    raza13raza13 member

i'm 36 weeks and i've only gained 9 lbs so far. i lost 8 lbs the first half of the pregnancy, then gained it all back by the time i hit the 3rd tri; since then i've gained another 9 lbs. i'm a little on the bigger side - not a plus size but i was about 180 lbs before getting pregnant so i had plenty of fat baby could borrow. if you're doctor hasn't said anything then i'm sure you're fine. as long as you are measuring where you should be and baby is healthy.

also my doctor told me she only wants me to gain 15 lbs and that women don't need to gain too much to have a healthy pregnancy. i think the days where they recommend 30-40 lbs are long gone.

• Options
    I'm 40 weeks and 2 days and I've gained only 15 pounds and the doctor said the baby is measuring just fine, there's no need to worry. With baby #2 I gained 20 and he weighed 9 pounds even and I'm only 4'11".
  • Options

I was about 10 pounds overweight when I got pregnant, and I haven't gained much weight with this pregnancy.

At 28 weeks, I had gained 11 pounds. I then lost 3, gained some back, lost again, etc. At my 36 week appointment, my total weight gain was still only 11 pounds, but baby was measuring BIG on the ultrasound. So, my doctor was not at all concerned about my lack of weight gain, although now I'm a bit concerned about how big the baby is going to be at term!

As long as your doctor isn't worried, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm just happy that I won't have a ton of extra weight to lose once the baby is here! 

Cautiously expecting our second little petri dish baby - stick, Baby, stick!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

It sounds like you're right on target, not on the low side. :) You are likely going to gain quite a bit here in these next 10 weeks.  Keep in mind the baby alone will be gaining about a half a pound each week soon until birth.  I know with DS I didn't gain a whole lot until around 30 weeks, and then in the end I ended up gaining 40 pounds (yeah, not sure where that all came from haha). :/

And I've always heard 25 pounds, give or take. :)  I'm at 13 pounds as of last week, but I have no doubt in my mind I will make it to the 20 pounds (+) that my doctor wants me to gain.  Everything is measuring perfect with DD, btw. :)  She's average size according to my 31 week growth ultrasound.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Hi there, I had the same issue, I am due on Tuesday and I have only put on 19lbs, our little guy is healthy and they have monitored him (even had an extra ultrasound because i was so small but he is measuring great) i think i was at 12lbs at 30 weeks. just keep eating healthy and your dr will let you know if you need to adjust anything.. :)
  • Options

I'm 35.5 weeks and I'm up 16lbs. At 32w my OB did an u/s and LO was already 5lbs. I only gained 19 total with my first and he was 9lbs.  

My dr has never had a problem with my weight gain.. I started at average weight both pregnancies though. 

DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • Options

I'm 35+ and have gained 16 pounds at my appointment on Thurs I was right on the line of being a little under weight . It really doesn't matter what YOU have gained so much as the size of your baby.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I was average weight to begin with so I'm not sure if this will help or not. I'm up 15-17 lbs and am 37w along and now considered full-term. At the last ultrasound (around 30w) baby was measuring even a little ahead. The doctor is super happy with that weight gain. As long as baby is measuring well and is healthy - try not to worry about it.
    LO #2, EDD Aug 5 =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"