Pregnant after 35
Options

Parents of 12& up..

When did you allow your child to use the stove? Actually fixing something..

Re: Parents of 12& up..

• Options

LOL, I thought at first you were making a joke since everyone posts 2+, or STMs, etc. so, those with 12 kids +.

Anyway, our oldest is  almost 14 - Easy stuff like Campbells soup & quesadillas around 10 or 11. Eggs & grilled cheese around 11 or 12. He surprised me (and terrified me) by making me a birthday cake for my birthday last year - without permission, of course. But, he did fine. He only makes a handful of things now, but on a couple of occasions when I've been too ill to cook for the littles, he's been able to provide hot, somewhat nutritious food for them.

8 month cutie

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    About that age. Ramen, grilled cheese, tacos, spaghetti, frozen pizza.. Stuff like that.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Same here.  But my 16 year old still isn't any good at it  :)
    John & Katherine, sittin' in a tree, . . . . Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    My daughter has been making her own small meals (or easy family meals) since she was 9.
  • Options
    My 12 year old used the stove for things like soup, chili, ramen soup, mac and cheese, fairly basic things. He'll use the oven for things like pizza's or corn dogs...you know all the healthy stuff, lol. He's been using the microwave for far longer than that though. my son is a bit of a nervous nelly though, he's capable of some things but gets nervous and asks me. He's made himself scrambled eggs though when no one else would/could for him and he was craving.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Haha! I still ask my kids to use the microwave.  I think that is because I heated a plastic bowl full of milk on the stove when I was 10 and it wasnt' pretty.  I have talked to them about plastic on the stove, but I still see it happening for some reason :)
  • Options
    My kids have been using it for quite awhile.  I think my oldest started using it around 7 or 8 years old to make french toast.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We have 5 girls. The oldest is 14 and wants to go to culinary school.  No lie, when she was 10 she was cooking (which she does nearly daily) and when I asked what she was making she told me she was making Braised Pork Loin with an apple reduction glaze. WHA??!?  we have to give away all the baked goods, or we'll all be obese. 

Granted she's not the norm... My 13 year old can't boil water and has no desire to try. My 10 year old makes simple things like soup, but is afraid of pulling hot things out of the oven.  

I think it totally dependant on their skill set, interest, etc.  

Lucky Mom to 5 girls: 09/97, 06/99, 10/02, 11/04, 04/08 & Peanut #6 due in April! Pregnancy Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"