1st Trimester
Options

nausea anyone? what food/drink has been working for you?

I just hit the 8 week mark with our first baby.  I'm turning 38 and we've been trying-to-conceive for years... we were on a "break' month between IVF cycles and conceived!!  Crazy!  Needless to say, I know this feeling means good things but oh boy do I feel like crap most of the time!  I don't seem to have any consistent cravings and most of the time I think about food I feel sick... nothing sounds good.  Grocery shopping and meal planning is very difficult to say the least (my poor husband).  I almost booted in the bread aisle the other day... and although we needed bread, I couldn't even buy it :-(  Any tips are welcome!!!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: nausea anyone? what food/drink has been working for you?

• Options
    Chicken and rice soup worked for me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
    image"">
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I drank lemonade, Coke, peanut butter/honey crackers
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Jolly Ranchers, Cereal, Rice, French Fries, sometimes chicken

Every afternoon my husband calls me and asks me what I want to do for dinner and it makes me have to fight gagging. I asked him to stop yesterday, so we'll see if he calls today.

BFP 11/09 - DD 7/10 - BFP 8/11 - M/C 9/11 - BFP 6/12 - DD - 2/13

• Options
    Carbs and ginger ale works if I'm feeling queasy on an empty stomach. I still haven't found anything that helps me feel better if I'm feeling crappy on a full stomach.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagekeleknoff:
    I just hit the 8 week mark with our first baby.  I'm turning 38 and we've been trying-to-conceive for years... we were on a "break' month between IVF cycles and conceived!!  Crazy!  Needless to say, I know this feeling means good things but oh boy do I feel like crap most of the time!  I don't seem to have any consistent cravings and most of the time I think about food I feel sick... nothing sounds good.  Grocery shopping and meal planning is very difficult to say the least (my poor husband).  I almost booted in the bread aisle the other day... and although we needed bread, I couldn't even buy it :-(  Any tips are welcome!!!

This is me too. The thing I hate about it most is that it it majorly messing with my meal planning, which for us is really important to making our grocery budge work. 

What I'm doing for meal planning for the next several weeks, is trying to plan more flexible meals. For example, I bought a package of chicken breasts, split each breast in two (because one can feed both of us) and then stuck them in the freezer. I'm doing this wish fish and gd beef too. Portion it out and then stick it in the freezer. That makes cooking a little bit more flexible for me depending on how I'm feeling that day. 

The foods that have been working for me lately are mostly bananas, yogurt and fruit and carbohydrates. I know I need protein, but it's really not appetizing now, so I'm trying to squeeze it in where I can and when I feel better. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Grapes, cantaloupe and watermelon, sweet gum and some sour hard candies are what have worked with me.  I feel yucky most of the day and I've really lost my appetite also. I've heard it gets better .... I hope it does!
  • Options

My doc said that if I couldnt handle protein that beans and peanut butter eggs might be easier he said otherwise get a protein drink and just eat what I can :)  it helps a lot knowing I can find protein other ways besides meat right now

BabyGaga
  • Options
    Wow!  It's nice to hear about someone who feels the same way... I haven't told many people yet, so I can't ask all my mommy friend's advice yet.  It's crazy how nothing sounds good at all and then all of a sudden.. I'm like "I think wonton soup might work"... and that's the only thing I can eat so one of us has to go and get it!  Sometimes crackers with cream cheese on them tastes good.  But I just tried lemon italian ice on dr.'s recommendation and it worked!!!  Add that to your shopping list... I hope it makes you feel better too :-)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I just bought some today, I'm going to try it!  Thanks!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

lol!  my husband's the opposite!  he won't even think of food until he's home and hungry.  Then he's good at scrounging right now.  I swear his diet is going to be the one most effected by this first trimester!  I hope you don't get that phone call today!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    If I never let my belly get empty I was alright. I kept a steady string of carbs on the go...crackers, bagels, you name it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic] Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

The main ingredient for fighting nausea is anything FRESH!

Try berries, apples, plums (good for constipation), whatever your favorite fruit is and stick it in the fridge, the cold juicy feeling will ease your nausea.

When I'm feeling really nauseous I take a fresh lemon, cut it in half and squeeze it into a cup, then put the lemon in the cup and fill it with ice water, --- YUM.

Cold cereal seems to make me feel better too.

JOLLY RANCHERS especially sour ones work wonders with that extra pregnancy saliva that constantly makes you feel like you have a lump in your throat.

Make sure you eat before you even sit up in the morning, stay away from saltines, they're sickening (unless you really like them), peanut butter crackers or cheese crackers are sometimes better.

In the morning I always eat a bagel and a non citrus fruit (plums because I have that awesome pregnancy constipation) and feel wonderful for starting my day!

Good luck! One more month and itll hopefully subside :) 

Love, Amanda

expecting our little miracle in February

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Lemonade, macaroni and cheese, white rice with butter. Not nutritious but it helps the yucks.
  • Options

Slurpees.....I die for them lol

And grapefruit flavored LaCroix soda water

photo 9304f105-c1e0-4769-a5f5-66ebac0208e2.jpg
  • Options
    This week, I've been able to get one good meal in and then I feel like crap and don't want to eat the rest of the day. Grapes and cereal have been the only things I can stomach.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Sugar Free Life Savers

They don't leave the same residue on your teeth as sugary candy.  They have saved me the past few days at work.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Crackers, potato chips, and French fries. Basically anything starchy/potato-y.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 6.26.12 EDD: 2.11.13 missed m/c: 7.31.12 @ 12 weeks
    BFP #2: 10.1.12 EDD: 6.11.13 Born 6.13.13
    photo 2546f8b6-17f6-4b55-b007-93a547c620b8.jpg

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Ginger ale actually worked for me.  That and Teavana's iced Rooibos tea virtually solved the nausea.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Plain Cake donuts and Ginger Ale. Amazing. Not so good for you, but if I preface a meal with half a donut and some ginger ale I can usually keep the whole meal down--which was definitely not happening before I discovered the cake donuts.
  • Options

Today was a medium day for nausau.  Here's what I ate:

(generally eating about every 2-3 hours)

raisin bran w/ milk

multi-grain english muffin w/ peanut butter & raspberry jam + pineapple juice

had 2 bites of a grilled salmon sandwich but couldn't eat it, so I made a fried egg with cheese and some steamed spinach with cheese (cheese is a staple)

yogurt

Hungry now - not sure what will be next...maybe carrots and hummus. Then hopefully a real, balanced dinner

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"