3rd Trimester

amniotic fluid & fundal height

i've measured behind on all my fundal height measurements, and i keep getting further behind. i'm now 4 weeks smaller than 'normal' (was 3.5 behind 2 wks ago). 

i wasn't concerned because doc doesn't seem to be, and i had an ultrasound last week where LO was measuring right on track (just two days behind, up from 1.5 weeks behind at 21 weeks). they indicated that amniotic fluid was normal.

but the actual AFI was 6.1cm and now that i just looked it up, i'm a little concerned because that value seems low. maybe not 'abnormal' but pretty close. 

i'm now kicking myself about not asking about possible AF leak. i've always been a 'damp' person down there, and while it's been worse while pregnant, it hasn't become worse in the last few weeks... but now i'm wondering whether my low fundal heights + lowish amniotic fluid are a sign of an ongoing small AF leak?

should i call and see the doc again or do you think i'm just being paranoid and can wait for another two weeks? any advice is appreciated. 

EDIT: i see now that they also have a measurement of DVP which i'm assuming is equivalent to maximal vertical pocket? that number is 19.3 cm... which seems impossible (way too high). does anyone have any insight?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: amniotic fluid & fundal height

• Your vaginal fluid will drastically increase the closer you get to your due date.  It's just the mucus plug shedding and reforming essentially.  In the last month of DD's pg. I was wearing a thin panty liner.

There's no harm is calling your Dr. and addressing your concerns.  They are they for you and the health of your baby.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Like I posted in Sept, it looks like the numbers were mixed up.

19.3 AND 6.1 are both in normal ranges. My perinatologist at my growth ultrasounds told me there is NO difference between a 5 and a 20 in regards to "high or low". They are both normal.

Ask about the mix up but either number (6 or 19) is fine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • imagejuliane2004:

Like I posted in Sept, it looks like the numbers were mixed up.

19.3 AND 6.1 are both in normal ranges. My perinatologist at my growth ultrasounds told me there is NO difference between a 5 and a 20 in regards to "high or low". They are both normal.

thank you! i didn't know anything about AF levels until about 15 minutes ago, so it's good to have someone confirm what i think is going on. now i feel a little silly for how dramatic this post seemed. maybe all the drama on these boards today rubbed off on me.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageelizabethwig:
    imagejuliane2004:

Like I posted in Sept, it looks like the numbers were mixed up.

thank you! i didn't know anything about AF levels until about 15 minutes ago, so it's good to have someone confirm what i think is going on. now i feel a little silly for how dramatic this post seemed. maybe all the drama on these boards today rubbed off on me.  

lol, don't worry about it. I promise your doc would've told you to be concerned if you needed to be. Feel free to ask anything about AFI levels. I have had a lot of experience with it and was even diagnosed with polyhydraminos with my DD (high levels). 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • I generally just lurk but thought that I would respond.  If your OB is not concerned I would not worry especially since you had a growth u/s and everything looked good with the baby.  I measured 2 weeks small in fundal height with my daugher (and she weighed 8lb 10oz at birth) and I am measuring small again. The OB said that I just probably hide baby well and they were low in my pelvis throwing off the measurment
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"