1st Trimester
Options

Delivery Nurse

I am into week 9 and next week I have an appointment to meet with my delivery nurse and ask any questions I might have.  Has anyone else had this experience.  I am tryingt o think of some good questions, and suggestions?

Re: Delivery Nurse

• Options
    imageGhostMonkey:

Wow. I didn't know places scheduled nurses that far in advance. I think I went through 5 nurses while I was in L&D due to shift changes.

That is what I was thinking as well.  

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options
    sesigssesigs member
    imageGhostMonkey:

Wow. I didn't know places scheduled nurses that far in advance. I think I went through 5 nurses while I was in L&D due to shift changes.

I was thinking maybe it is just an appointment with A delivery nurse rather than THE delivery nurse? I'm a FTM, but I work in a hospital and like you said, you would have multiple nurses in L&D since the longest shift is usually 12 or 14 hours ... 

OP, I've found in my visits that no matter how many questions I think of before hand I always think of something else after I leave! You can always call or ask at a later appointment if you think of other things :)  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I asked about hospital policies regarding how many people could be in the room, when we could photograph or videotape, when the baby could not room in with me, lactation support (if you plan to breastfeed), how much monitoring they required, different laboring options (I labored on an exercise ball and could have used a pool as well), visitation policy after the baby is born (visitation hours end at 8 at both hospitals- one hospital will let you have guests after 8 if your baby is born late, one will not), make sure they will let you have the baby right away barring any complications (that first hour of skin on skin is really important), ask if the rooms are seperate and to see all the rooms or if they are all in one labor/delivery/recovery rooms, and if they offer any carseat inspections that you can set up beforehand.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageGhostMonkey:

imagemagel050485:
    I asked about hospital policies regarding how many people could be in the room, when we could photograph or videotape, when the baby could not room in with me, lactation support (if you plan to breastfeed), how much monitoring they required, different laboring options (I labored on an exercise ball and could have used a pool as well), visitation policy after the baby is born (visitation hours end at 8 at both hospitals- one hospital will let you have guests after 8 if your baby is born late, one will not), make sure they will let you have the baby right away barring any complications (that first hour of skin on skin is really important), ask if the rooms are seperate and to see all the rooms or if they are all in one labor/delivery/recovery rooms, and if they offer any carseat inspections that you can set up beforehand.

All things that can wait until 3rd tri when these are important. Not things you need to settle before your uterus gets out of your pelvis.

I would be shocked if it was actually an L&D nurse she is speaking with. More likely it is a nurse in her OB's practice and she is just confused. It happens. Everything you listed needs to be asked of a hospital employee (preferably during a tour).

Everything on my list is based on the fact that she said she was speaking to a delivery nurse, which is a hospital employee.  If she had said she was speaking to a nurse at her practice my list would be entirely different as they are dealing with you during your entire pregnancy.  A delivery nurse deals with you during your delivery and post partem care so my questions would  only pertained to that. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have never heard of meeting with a delivery nurse. Are you delivering in a hospital or a birth center?

If you knew how lonely my life has been And how long I've been so alone And if you knew how I wanted someone to come along And change my life the way you've done

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

pregnancy

Anniversary
  • Options
    imageGhostMonkey:

imagemagel050485:

All things that can wait until 3rd tri when these are important. Not things you need to settle before your uterus gets out of your pelvis.

I would be shocked if it was actually an L&D nurse she is speaking with. More likely it is a nurse in her OB's practice and she is just confused. It happens. Everything you listed needs to be asked of a hospital employee (preferably during a tour).

I am guessing this is the case as well. Nurses who work in OB offices are not the same as L&D nurses. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hello, I am an L&D nurse and you are probably meeting with a nurse in the OB office. (although many nurses in an office have worked in L&D before). I have worked at many hospitals in L&D and we only meet with the moms who are being evaluated to deliver or are going to deliver. Hope that helps :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"