Baby Names
Options

How do YOU pronounce Erin??

After reading the "Aerin" post and all the replies, I realized that many people pronounce Erin differently than I do.  To me it's Eh-rin not Air-in and Erin and Aaron are not pronounced the same. [Poll]

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: How do YOU pronounce Erin??

• Options
    I pronounce it like "errand"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm confused.  Erin, Aerin, Aaron.  They all sound the same to me.  Regional pronunciation?
    I used to be a big deal.  Now I'm just old. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Air-in sounds like me trying to say Erin with a southern accent.

• Options

imageKellyAnn911:

I say Air-in the same way I say Aaron.  Do you say it like Ayer-in?  Because that does sound southern.

• Options
    Yeah it all sounds the same to me.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP 08/14/13 EDD 04/18/14 Natural MC 08/19/13
    BFP 10/15/13 EDD 06/24/2014 Natural MC 10/23/13
    Recurrent Miscarriage Panel done 11/06/13. Results= All normal
    BFP 12/2/13 EDD July 30, 2014
    Beta 12/3/13: 19,261!
    U/S 12/13/13 heart rate 143 bpm!

My Blog
  • Options
    image--halo--:

imageKellyAnn911:

I say Air-in the same way I say Aaron.  Do you say it like Ayer-in?  Because that does sound southern.

Aaron is pronounced Ah(like at)-rin

• Options
    imageKellyAnn911:
    image--halo--:

imageKellyAnn911:

Aaron is pronounced Ah(like at)-rin

Like the A sound in Apple?  Interesting, I've never heard it said that way.  It sounds kind of like a Kennedy accent.  :)   

• Options
    To me Aaron rhymes with baron.

• Options
    :| Ok, well I'm even more confused now, because I agree that Aaron sounds like Baron.  I think I give up. lol
  • Options

I agree that I'm totally confused because Aaron, Erin, errand, baron are all the same sound for me.

Can someone "spell" the Eh-rin pronunciation another way?  When I try to say it with those cues, it's like I have a breathing disorder.

Kelly Ann, are you from Boston?  That's the only way I can "read" your pronunciation...like the stereotypical pahked the cahr in harvahd yahd.

• Options
    Seriously?  The majority think it's "Air-in?"  I'm an Erin and I honestly can't recall anybody pronouncing my name incorrectly.  They spell it Aaron frequently, but never pronounce it like that.  :)

imageELCJet:
    Seriously?  The majority think it's "Air-in?"  I'm an Erin and I honestly can't recall anybody pronouncing my name incorrectly.  They spell it Aaron frequently, but never pronounce it like that.  :)

How do you say it?

• Options
    I suck at the pronunciation crap. I pronounce Erin the same way I would pronounce Aaron.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    kelnyckelnyc member

imageKellyAnn911:

This. And EHrin and AIRin sound the same to me.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 
    After 22 cycles and 4 failed IUIs, Serafina joined our family through IVF/ICSI, born 8.28.12
    Our surprise baby, Juliette, is due 12.8.14!

• Options

Erin with the ehh sound like elephant.

Aaron with the ahh sound like apple. As PP said, Aaron rhymes with baron. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    They sound the same to me.  All the Erin's I know as well as the Aaron's I know all pronounce it the same way too.  Erin and Eric have the same beginning sound.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    'Til He returns, or calls me home,
    Here in the power of Christ I stand.
  • Options
    I pronounce them both the same.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageRanda&Jerm:
    They sound the same to me.  All the Erin's I know as well as the Aaron's I know all pronounce it the same way too.  Erin and Eric have the same beginning sound.

This.

• Options
    KellyAnn I'm 100% with you... Erin and Aaron have different pronunciations. In addition, I'm from right outside NYC, not Boston.
  • Options
    imagekelnyc:

imageKellyAnn911:

This. And EHrin and AIRin sound the same to me.

Ditto. Is this a trick? I don't get it.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Erin- I say Air-in

Aaron-I say Air- ron,

• Options

Your responses are really going to depend on regional dialects more than anything else. I'm in the deep South. Here, the beginning sounds of Aaron, Erin, errand, airplane, etc are all pronounced exactly the same.

I've heard a couple of people pronounce Aaron the way you described (ahh-ron) but they were my friends from New Jersey and New York. 

• Options

image--halo--:
    I'm confused.  Erin, Aerin, Aaron.  They all sound the same to me.  Regional pronunciation?

Definitely regional.  I am from the northeast and have only heard it pronounced "eh-rin". 

• Options

imagePegleg715:
    I pronounce it ehhh-Rin. I'm a Bostonian though. I don't know if that makes a difference. I honestly didn't know there was another way to say it. 

I say it the same way too and am from MA. Maybe it's a regional thing? 

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Options
    Well, my name is Erin... I pronounce it Air-in.  My DH's cousin is Aaron... he and everyone else pronounces it Air-in.  Never in my life has my name been misread or mispronounced, and there for I find this post odd.  LOL
  • Options
    I pronounce it the same as Aaron; however, I believe if it were pronounced more like it is in Gaelic then it would be one syllable, Airn.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Sorry I haven't replied sooner.  I am from NJ.

• Options
    I say them differently. Erin = Eh-rin. Kind of like the first syllable of the word error. Aaron = Air-in. I'm from Louisiana.
  • Options
    imageBayleighPaws:

How many peoeple are actually sitting at their computers vocally trying to distinguish the "eh-rin" and "air-in" sound?   I did through this whole post!

Me too! haha

I'm from the midwest and I pronounce them both the same "Air-in." I never thought of "eeeh-rin" or "ah-ron"  

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
  • Options
    ==N====N== member
    Ive been best friends with an Erin for the past 15 years and I have always called her Eh-rin but she calls herself Air-in. Im not saying she says it wrong or vice versa, just the way our mouths say it I guess.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

I pronounce Erin as EH-rin. I pronounce Aaron as AIR-in. 

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
  • Options

I pronounce Erin as EH-rin. I pronounce Aaron as AIR-in.

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
  • Options

imageKellyAnn911:

I have a southern accent and say Air-in.

BabyFruit Ticker
    My Ovulation Chart BFP-11/10/11 ectopic. Methotrexate on 12/1/11. BFP #2-08/17/2012 FX for a ute-baby! 15DPO beta-387 HCG; 36 progesterone Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

imageKellyAnn911:

..and so does Erin.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Options
    I have a headache now. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Erin = err(like error)-in

Aaron = air-en 

• Options

imagecallalilly323:
    KellyAnn I'm 100% with you... Erin and Aaron have different pronunciations.

Agreed.  Although, I am from Boston.  However, I have zero accent (unless drunk or angry, so I've been told).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageHeartstrings13:

Erin = err(like error)-in

Aaron = air-en 

This only confuses me more, because these sound the same to me.  As an Erin from the midwest, I've always pronounced my name Air-in.  I never knew there was another way... mind blown!Stick out tongue

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I have lived in Chicago, Atlanta, and Boston....and all 3 places say these names differently.  My DH is Aaron and my BFF is Erin.  She is from Boston and made me say her name over and over and over until I said it "right".  I used to say Air-nn like it was all one syllable.  She trained me to break it into two, and put the E in front.  Ehh-rin.  My DH is called Ahh-run or Air-run, he doesn't care.  I call him Air-run.
  • Options
    imagecaramia582:

image--halo--:

Definitely regional.  I am from the northeast and have only heard it pronounced "eh-rin". 

Agreed. I'm from Massachusetts originally, and Erin and Aaron are definitely pronounced differently. It's subtle, but different. But there's also a huge population of people of Irish descent there (or at least on the Cape, where I'm from), so that could also be part of it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC#1!
    12/1999: Dx with Endometriosis (age 12)
    5/2001: Ruptured appendix, massive scar tissue
    6/2005:Dx with Interstitial Cystitis
    9/2005: Gall bladder removed due to problems from cysts
    7/2006: Officially Dx with Fibromyalgia (age 18)
    2/2010: Partial left ovarian torsion

10/2012: SA = Low Motility
    11/2012: Surgery #5 to remove scar tissue & paratubal cyst
    HSG: Right tube blocked; unable to clear
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"