February 2013 Moms
Options

Anyone want to help car shop?

Right now I have a 9 year old VW golf, which is tiny and not going to work when the baby arrives. Anyone have any opinions on cars? Here are my yays and nays

•  30k or under
  • no vans or SUVs (wagons are fine)
  • I'd prefer something with heated seats- It gets chilly here!

Thanks Lovlies! Also, I just picked up some PF Changs.... Momma likes! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone want to help car shop?

• Options
      If you do want a new car that's cool, but we've been a family of four with just a beetle (no second car) for years without a problem! Just an FYI. We will be getting a second, larger car soon because there aren't three seatbelts in the backseat lol!
      imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    • Options
      Can it be a used car?  I know you said no SUVs, but I just got a Subaru Forester and love it!  I avg. around 24 mpg overall (not great, but I can get up to 28 mpg on the hwy if I drive 65 mph). But...the Subaru Outback is a wagon, and I think the new ones get pretty good mpg.  We decided on a Subaru  SUV bc I was sick of how my Cavalier drove in the snow.  Just my 2 cents... Good luck!
    • Loading the player...
    • Options
      mjr12mjr12 member
      imageDC2London:

1.  Can I have your PF Chang's?  Thanks.  I'll share.

2.  I suggest this in all seriousness--can you borrow or rent a convertible car seat to take car shopping with you?  The new recommendations are to keep toddlers rear-facing until at least age 2.  This means that, in my car, almost nobody fits in the passenger seat in front of DS bc the darn seats are so huge when RF-ing.  The passenger seat is so close to the dashboard that, in the event of a crash, I'm fairly certain the airbag would take out my eyeballs.  

Edmunds has a site that gives TONS of info on each make, model and model year of practically every car on the market, including the second row leg room.  I would definitely take a look at those measurements if you plan on having more than one kid.  I've basically been sitting in the back seat for two years, and you won't be happy if you buy a new car only to discover that it's not big enough for your kid.  

We love the Subaru Outback and Forester, but we found them not to have enough back seat space for two car seats.  That's just my two cents, though.  I'm sure someone here will tell you they have two kids in a Smart Car and are just fine.

If your'e a VW person, the Jetta wagon was fantastic and had a surprisingly large back seat.  We've also had no trouble fitting Jack's car seat in the back of my dad's Nissan Altima, and that's a pretty awesome car too.  

We're giving in and getting the minivan.  I'm not happy about it, but at least I  know there will ample room for both kids, and a third if I convince my H to have one. 

I agree with checking on convertible seats too.  I have the Combi Coccoro and we love it.  I think it will be very important to make sure that the seat will fit, because some RF seats are monsters.  The Coccoro is one of many seats made to be RF or FF, and there are many on the market now that have higher weight/height limitations. https://www.combiusa.com/Products/Item.aspx?Item=12 

• Options

We got a new Hyundai Elantra Touring a year ago and LOVE it!!! It's great on gas, has the 10 year/10k miles warranty, and plenty of space in the backseat and trunk/hatchback area. It's a sportier version of a wagon and the 'upgraded' model from the one we have has leather heated seats, sun roof, power adjust, ya know, all the bells and whistles. The best part is that they're not hugely expensive. Here is a link to the dealer's website where we bought ours for this years model (shows the car, MSRP, etc). Sorry if it's not clicky.

https://www.autofairhyundai.com/new/Hyundai/2012-Hyundai-Elantra+Touring-1a19f8f70a0a006501d4ea6c047dd935.htm

July TTCAL Siggy Challenge - Favorite Children's Book
      Donkey-Donkey - Roger Duvoisin  1968  Vintage Childrens Book
      Surprise BFP 5/15/12, EDD 1/29/13, mm/c @ 8wks, discovered at 11wks, D&C 7/11/12
      AF finally arrived on Christmas after 167 days of waiting.
      TTA until January 2014
      Follow Me on Pinterestimageimage
      PGAL/PAL always welcome

• Options
      I have a hyundai tucson and it's a crossover! I LOVE it! We have tons of room, like a van or  SUV, but get awesome has mileage (26 city, 31 highway) like a car!  All of my mom friends have crossovers and I haven't heard anything bad about the Ford Edge, Mazda CX(7 or ), or Nissan Rogue! My previous car was the Chevy equinox and that was amazing too - they are just a little pricey! They are all about or under $30k - new!  
      Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    • Options
      FYI, while rear facing convertibles are larger than infant buckets, once a child is older they don't need the same angle and can be installed quite upright, which helps with space. Generally a more upright installed RF convertible takes up less space than an infant bucket. I was more comfortable with a radian (which is one of the tallest RF seats on the market) than with my snugride. My youngest just turned FF when she outgrew the radian RF for height at 2y 9m and was behind me in the beetle.
      imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    • Options

imagesiempre corre:
      Can it be a used car?  I know you said no SUVs, but I just got a Subaru Forester and love it!  I avg. around 24 mpg overall (not great, but I can get up to 28 mpg on the hwy if I drive 65 mph). But...the Subaru Outback is a wagon, and I think the new ones get pretty good mpg.  We decided on a Subaru  SUV bc I was sick of how my Cavalier drove in the snow.  Just my 2 cents... Good luck!

Used is fine, I am a cheap ho!

DC- I had NO idea that you could rent car seats! That's brilliant; that means I don't have to wander my neighborhood looking for car seats and strollers. H is 6'3", so leg room is really an issue for him, esp considering he's allllll legs.  

• Options
      imageDC2London:
      imagePeekaRu:

imagesiempre corre:

DC- I had NO idea that you could rent car seats! That's brilliant; that means I don't have to wander my neighborhood looking for car seats and strollers. H is 6'3", so leg room is really an issue for him, esp considering he's allllll legs.  

Oh, yeah, you'll def want to take a car seat with you then!  You can rent them from car rental companies.  Although  
      I like your idea of wandering the neighborhood.  Just go knock on strangers' doors and ask, "Do you have a toddler living here?"  Bonus points if you wear a trench coat and a creeper moustache.   Much more entertaining.

Ok, but I'm gonna wear trouser socks and crocs too.  

• Options

I have a Lexus ES 350. It was under 30K used, and it is really pretty roomy. I wanted a sedan that wasn't dorky  (IMO), and by getting a certified used one, I was able to get service and oil changes included from the dealership and know that it had been taken care of.

It's also polite and quiet and grown up (my last two cars were loud Mustang GTs, so it was time to get over my youth). I really love it, and it handles great in the snow. It also has heated and cooled seats...I thought cooled seats might be weird, but they're great.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
    • Options
      Sorry I can't help you here.  We are getting a new car because one of them is about to crap out any time.  But we are getting a truck.
      April 10 IUI BFN Sept 10 IUI BRN Feb 11 IVF hoping for a BFP! Feb 27 ER 28 eggs Mar 4 8 health eggs, 2 ET Mar 17 - Beta 180!! BFP!!! Mar 21 - Beta 1295!! holy cow what a jump Coming soon 1st Sono March 30!!! Crossing fingers for healthy stick bean(s) Mar 29 miscarry :( 6w 3d 2nd IVF July 2011 BFP July 2011 M/C 11/11/11 hate to say good bye again! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 3rd IVF 4/3/12 ER 46 eggs (holly cow batman) 40 mature, 36 fertilized 4/8/12 ET 2 AB put back 4/10/12 15 make it to FREEZE 4/22/12 Beta BFN 1st FET 6/7/12 Day we are going to put back 2. 6/21/12 BFP 1285 6/25/12 4780 I hope this time they stick!! Deaglan William welcome. My rainbow is finally here February 7, 2013
    • Options
      we bought a 2011 scion xB. kind of an suv but it is small like a sedan. We LOVE it. great gas mileage and fits DH, myself, DD and our great dane and still have room for baby #2 :) under $20,000. 
    • Options
      I like my jetta and it will be fine for a while since this will be our first child.  VW's also come standard with heated seats!  I've had my niece's graco convertible in there rear facing and it fit okay.  It is a pretty large seat.  I don't have a wagon but a wagon would probably be helpful for strollers and gear.  I haven't tried to fit a stroller in the trunk just yet so we'll see how that works.  I have thought about getting something bigger just for convenience and because I occasionally use my car for work.  I'm a nanny for two children and if my baby comes with on days that I have to use my car, I'm not sure I will get all three in there.  I'm hoping that the four year old will be in a booster by then.  She will be almost five at that time.  Then I will have two in boosters and I'm hoping that will help.  Maybe I should rent carseats just to see how they fit. 
      BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
    • Options
      imageDC2London:
      imagePeekaRu:

imagesiempre corre:

Oh, yeah, you'll def want to take a car seat with you then!  You can rent them from car rental companies.  Although  
      I like your idea of wandering the neighborhood.  Just go knock on strangers' doors and ask, "Do you have a toddler living here?"  Bonus points if you wear a trench coat and a creeper moustache.   Much more entertaining.

You can also rent from BRU 

Lilypie - (eo79)
       Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    • Options

imageckilner:
      I like my jetta and it will be fine for a while since this will be our first child.  VW's also come standard with heated seats!  I've had my niece's graco convertible in there rear facing and it fit okay.  It is a pretty large seat.  I don't have a wagon but a wagon would probably be helpful for strollers and gear.  I haven't tried to fit a stroller in the trunk just yet so we'll see how that works.  I have thought about getting something bigger just for convenience and because I occasionally use my car for work.  I'm a nanny for two children and if my baby comes with on days that I have to use my car, I'm not sure I will get all three in there.  I'm hoping that the four year old will be in a booster by then.  She will be almost five at that time.  Then I will have two in boosters and I'm hoping that will help.  Maybe I should rent carseats just to see how they fit. 

It should fit, although you may need to get one or two diono radians as they're the narrowest seats on the market. I would actually hope the 4 year old isn't in a booster since getting your hand in between the booster and whatever seat is next to it will be painful (I've done it!). Much easier to buckle harnesses for everyone!

This discussion has been closed.
    Choose Another Board
    Search Boards
    "
    "