1st Trimester
Options

TMI poo post-need some help please!

Ok, I know this is TMI but I am getting desperate!  I am so constipated and backed up it really sucks!  I look about 6 months pregnant right now and it's all poo I'm sure.  I think it is factoring into my nausea also being this backed up.  

Right now I'm taking Miralax every day (OB says ok-I'm on day 5 and on the box it says no more than 7 days in a row), I've been taking fiber pills (like metamucil) and eating 2 prunes a day.  I drink only water during the day and am VERY hydrated.  I can't think of what else I can do to relieve some of this discomfort and backing up!  Any other ideas that have worked for you?  I'm planning on calling the OB tomorrow to ask what else (and also about how long I can take the miralax) but I was just looking for any other ideas that they might not think of.  TIA!   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: TMI poo post-need some help please!

• Options

You poor thing - you must be so uncomfortable!

Have you tried benefiber? I had a bit of a problem a while back (pre-pregnancy) and that helped.

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Options

My doctor gave me a list of what to do when you can't poo....

Here goes:

1. Increase Fiber - friuts, veggies, whole grains, ect

2. Fiber supplements - Metamucil or Fiber Con (Psyllium) with an extra intake of water.

3. Increase water and exercise

4. Stool softeners - Docusate (Colace)

5. Milk of Magnesia - MOM for short. Follow the directions on the container.

6. Polyethekline Glycol (Miralax) - use as directed, for short term use only.

7. Glycerin Suppositories.

Now doesn't alllll that just sound so fun! And by the way - after tonight - I am going to really suggest #4 - my first real poo in what seems like forever and it was HELL.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was told I could take Senokot-S occasionally. I am having the same problem as you and I am MISERABLE! I had issues before getting pregnant but I had to stop what I was taking because its not good when pregnant. So I am back at square one trying to find something. I find myself focusing on a lot of fruits and vegetables. Especially apples and carrots. I also boil prunes and raisins for a few minutes until they are soft. Just remember that when you increase fiber you need to give it a few days to work. Also make sure you are drinking at least 64 ounces of water. I am also trying metamucil twice a day with a tablespooon of flax oil. (gross but sometimes it works). I also try a couple cups of warm prune juice in the morning. This were the tips that were given to me and some days they actually work. Good Luck, I feel your pain!
    Photobucket TTC since 1999. Unexplained Infertility. IUI#1 Oct. 12/11 - BFN IUI#2 - Nov 8 - Failed
    IUI#3 - Jan 6 IVF#1 -5/18 - stims start (225 gonal f, 75 menopur, 5 lupron) ER 5/29 - 14R, 11M, 7F. 6/1 - Transferred 2 8cell embryos (grade 1 and 2). 8dp3dt +HPT, Beta#1 - 92, Beta #2 - 174, Beta#3 - 614, Beta#4 - 2010. 6wk u/s - TWINS! Baby A 114bpm, Baby B 112 bpm Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemegs71660:

My doctor gave me a list of what to do when you can't poo....

Here goes:

1. Increase Fiber - friuts, veggies, whole grains, ect

2. Fiber supplements - Metamucil or Fiber Con (Psyllium) with an extra intake of water.

3. Increase water and exercise

4. Stool softeners - Docusate (Colace)

5. Milk of Magnesia - MOM for short. Follow the directions on the container.

6. Polyethekline Glycol (Miralax) - use as directed, for short term use only.

7. Glycerin Suppositories.

Now doesn't alllll that just sound so fun! And by the way - after tonight - I am going to really suggest #4 - my first real poo in what seems like forever and it was HELL.

Thank you for the list!  I've actually tried 1, 2, 3, and 6.  I didn't really think about MOM though-that's exactly why I asked!  :)  I actually wasn't sure if colace was safe while pregnant so that's why I haven't gone there.  

Thanks for the tip on probiotics also....I haven't done those but I think I will pick some up today.   

Plus I decided while laying awake last night too uncomfortable to sleep that I'm going to try accupuncture.  I've been looking at it for my nausea anyway, and I think this might be something they could help with.   

• Options

exercise works wonders! water, veggies, exercise. Don't overdo it with the miralax, that stuff is definitely not good to take on the long term. Think about certain foods that seemed to make you go before you were KU (taco bell??) and see if eating that might help. You can also try eating that yogurt that is supposed to keep you regular (activia). Any yogurt will work in a similar fashion. You can also try adding flax seed to yogurt and other things to get an extra dose of fiber.

Unfortunately, I've had the same problem off and on (I'm 9 weeks now). A few times I've been backed up and it ended with some looser stools, so be careful not to overdo it. Some prenatals also contain stool softeners, so you might want to ask your OB about prescribing them.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

You're probably tired of hearing fruit, water, beans, and veggies!  But that's all I eat!  I'm a vegan which makes it a little easier to eat nothing but that.  My doctor gave me some samples of Prefera which is an iron supplement but she said it helps with constipation - may want to run that idea past your doctor and see if it is appropriate for your situation.  But I swear by fruit and water!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"