1st Trimester
Options

X Post-OCD and anxiety issues (long)

Hi everyone! I have pretty severe ocd and was diagnosed when I was 14, I also have generalized anxiety disorder as well. I have been able to keep my symptoms somewhat under control through medicine and cognitive behavior therapy. I have been on a pretty high dose of zoloft for the last couple of years.

I have tried to go off my medicine twice before, once last summer in preparation of trying to have a baby, it was a complete mess and I was put back on medicine and the plan was to wait until I got pregnant to try to go off again. I found out I was pregnant in January and went off medicine and again it was a disaster and my dr put me back on. I miscarried, but it had nothing to do with the medicine.

I decided that I would give it one more shot and I have gone off medicine again and its been only 9 days and I am anxious depressed etc. Its very difficult b/c as I explained to my dr if I knew staying off medicine would be just painful for me, but that the baby would be ok I would be ok with that. However, as my dr and other studies have supported there is also a risk to the baby if the mother is always in a state of anxiety.

I know that no one could tell me whether to go back on medicine or not bc even my dr said that its a personal choice, but if I do go back on I would be on a medicine with the most data and is considered safer than others in pregnancy,. I just wanted to see if anyone has experienced something similar or know someone that has.

Thanks for reading:) 

Re: X Post-OCD and anxiety issues (long)

• Options

I am really sorry you are experiencing this anxiety/issue. I don't have experience with depression meds or anxiety meds while pregnant. I am sure someone here does though. Hopefully they will see your post.

Can you go to talk therapy more often or even arrange to talk to a supportive help line on the phone if you need to? What about group meetings or therapy available? It might help you to find others in your situation IRL. Good luck. That must be tough. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Thank you so much. I go to cognitive behavior therapy once a week because that is most helpful in treating ocd, of course my therapist is away the next two weeks. I really think that is a good idea about finding support groups in my area. I live in NYC so I am bound to find one I hope. Thanks again!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageTeacher Clark:
    I have a girlfriend who has been on anti anxiety meds for years. She has taken them throughout all 4 of her pregnancies and her kids are all healthy.  There is a risk with any medication, but many women take health specific medications while pregnant and go on to have healthy babies.

Thank you that is good to know. I keep going back and forth what is better me being off meds but being totally unbalanced or me being on meds, but exposing the fetus to chemicals. Such a hard decision.  

• Options

*lurking from 2nd tri*

I also have pretty severe OCD and anxiety, it is mostly related to pregnancies and started after I had a miscarriage. I'm not on medicine, but every day is a challenge. I worry about the craziest things, and wash things obsessively. I won't eat any food other people make, and will barely eat food I make. I don't really have a solution. I try my best to stay rational, but also realize it will pass. Just know you're not alone, and hopefully things get better for you whatever you decide medicine wise.

m/c March 2009 @ 5 weeks ~ m/c June 2009 @ 10 weeks ~ m/c February 2012 @ 4.5 weeks Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagepamiva1:

*lurking from 2nd tri*

I also have pretty severe OCD and anxiety, it is mostly related to pregnancies and started after I had a miscarriage. I'm not on medicine, but every day is a challenge. I worry about the craziest things, and wash things obsessively. I won't eat any food other people make, and will barely eat food I make. I don't really have a solution. I try my best to stay rational, but also realize it will pass. Just know you're not alone, and hopefully things get better for you whatever you decide medicine wise.

I am sorry you are suffering as well. I have had ocd for a long time, but I feel like I am even more obsessive since my miscarriage in Jan so I definitely understand what you mean. I am almost purely obsessional and dont have many compulsions, but the constant worrying and mood swings is making me nuts. I am trying to think positive and thinking yes it will eventually pass. Thank you for sharing your story and I hope you feel better. 

• Options

I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety and panic attacks about 7 years ago and have been on Zoloft ever since. Before becoming pregnant, I decreased my dose from 100mg to 75mg and was doing very well. However, about 6 1/2 weeks into my pregnancy, I started having terrible panic attacks...multiple a day. I spoke with my OB and we decided that it was a good idea for me to increase my Zoloft back to 100mg. I have felt much better after doing so. I am aware that there are risks with taking any medications during pregnancy, but I decided that the best choice for me was to stay on it. I'm glad I made the decision because I feel 100% better. I can't imagine suffering for 9 months.   

I feel like I am in the same boat you're in! I totally agree with the argument that there may be a risk to my baby if I'm in a state of constant stress. If you need someone to talk to, feel free to PM me. I've been looking for someone to discuss all this fun anxiety&pregnancy stuff with!! 

Me: 28, DH: 33
    Married 10.12.11
     BFP #1: 5.30.12- Giannna, born 1.27.13
    BFP #2: 9.18.14- due 6.1.15 -- natural m/c @ 5w6d 
    BFP #3 11.2.14- due 7.16.14 -- mmc, d&c @ 10w1d

Image and video hosting by TinyPic  image 

• Options

My OB is who currently put me on zoloft, for my ocd, after my miscarriage.  As far as I know, he thinks I still take it.  I had to stop because it makes me really really tired.  (One night, I punched my dog in the face, instead of scooting her, because I was so confused.....)

I personally, have no issue with taking it during pregnancy.  It does have some risks, but IMO, for some people, the benefits definitely out way the risks.  A stressed out Mama is no good for baby!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"