Military Families
Options

Anyone know if Tricare covers breast pumps or parts?

I'm on Tricare Standard (North). I have a pump from a friend, but I need new tubes and smaller shields. Is anything covered pump wise if LO isn't premature?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone know if Tricare covers breast pumps or parts?

• Options
    for the most part no.

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Options

this in in FAQ and there are a lot of threads about this but tricare doesnt pay for breast pumps unless under special circumstances. some hospitals will rent them out to you for a good price.

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/64990075.aspx

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    NSLNSL member
    Tubes and shields are really cheap.  You're looking at less than $25 if you shop around.
  • Options

Breast Pump

TRICARE may cover electric hospital-grade breast pumps for premature infants who meet certain criteria.  The breast pump may be covered for use in the hospital, and in certain cases, if the physician can prove medical necessity, for home use.

TRICARE does not cover:

• Electric hospital-grade breast pumps for convenience
    • Basic electric breast pumps
    • Manual breast pumps

Thats what I got on the tricare website. Hope that helps!

Edit: Tricare website when I went in through prime. But I think it's more or less the same .

• Options
    I actually got to use a hospital-grade pump for free, thanks to the military.  I had a clogged duct when my first child was a couple days old, and went back to the civilian hospital (where I had the baby) lactation consultant.  She gave me all of the tubes and plastic stuff for free, and my husband went on base and picked up a pump from their hospital.  I was allowed to keep it as long as I was using it.
  • Options
    No, only if you deliver early. Ds was born at 34w 5d and we got a hospital grade pump for 8 months.
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

No.

Go to Target or Amazon or wherever you shop. The shields/tubing is CHEAP.  Probably the same cost as one can of formula.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Options
    imagesweetpea2003:

No.

Go to Target or Amazon or wherever you shop. The shields/tubing is CHEAP.  Probably the same cost as one can of formula.

They dont sell tubes in stores and no one carries the shields i need (smallest size). The local hospital quit using Madela too so i have to do it all online. 

• Options
    NSLNSL member
    imagenoah-bear:
    imagesweetpea2003:

No.

They dont sell tubes in stores and no one carries the shields i need (smallest size). The local hospital quit using Madela too so i have to do it all online. 

So buy them online.  I got new tubes and shields from Medela through Amazon back when my second was born, and it was still dirt cheap.  Not sure why purchasing none wold be a problem in your case. 

• Options
    The CDC at our base will provide a breast pump free for a year if you are below e-5 and got your bfp or a medical exam while pregnant at one of the base clinics. 
    Air Force Wife and proud SAHM to baby E, TTC #2 while BFing Uploaded with Snapbucket
  • Options
    I see the OP is from Kansas,  we are at McConnell and it was very easy to get a free breast pump rental. PM me if this is where you are stationed and want to know how. 
    Air Force Wife and proud SAHM to baby E, TTC #2 while BFing Uploaded with Snapbucket
  • Options

imageRdautenhahn:
    I see the OP is from Kansas,  we are at McConnell and it was very easy to get a free breast pump rental. PM me if this is where you are stationed and want to know how. 

TB wont update my place for me, we were actually PCSd to Maryland (we're in North Potomac). 

• Options
    imagenoah-bear:

imageRdautenhahn:

TB wont update my place for me, we were actually PCSd to Maryland (we're in North Potomac). 

Oh ok! Tried to help :) its probably just as simple there though. GL! 

• Options
    imagemollyxcate:

Breast Pump

TRICARE may cover electric hospital-grade breast pumps for premature infants who meet certain criteria.  The breast pump may be covered for use in the hospital, and in certain cases, if the physician can prove medical necessity, for home use.

TRICARE does not cover:

• Electric hospital-grade breast pumps for convenience
    • Basic electric breast pumps
    • Manual breast pumps

Thats what I got on the tricare website. Hope that helps!

Edit: Tricare website when I went in through prime. But I think it's more or less the same .

This is the same as what it says for my Standard. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP 08/14/13 EDD 04/18/14 Natural MC 08/19/13
    BFP 10/15/13 EDD 06/24/2014 Natural MC 10/23/13
    Recurrent Miscarriage Panel done 11/06/13. Results= All normal
    BFP 12/2/13 EDD July 30, 2014
    Beta 12/3/13: 19,261!
    U/S 12/13/13 heart rate 143 bpm!

My Blog
  • Options

I'm totally excited that you won't qualify for a pump.  I was told that if baby wasn't born before 36 weeks that the chances were slim to none that I could get a pump.  Held true for me.  And now that you are full term (woo hoo!), that'll probably be the case for you.

Ditto what a pp said about getting spare parts online.  I got tubing, membranes and shields off Amazon for pretty cheap.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"