Special Needs

g-tube mommies--anyone have a g-tube 101 recommendation?

We're busy getting ready for baby boy to come and just in case something doesn't go as expected, I'm wanting to ensure that family not familiar with DDs g-tube will be able to help out in an emergency. We've been trying extra hard to make sure that our family is comfortable with her g-tube by asking them to help with meals and in some cases specifically teaching people, but I'm not sure any of this is comfortable to the point that they'd be able to do it without us there. I'd like to make up something with pics and specific directions. (This is a long over-due addition to our emergency stuff for DD, but I'm a perfectionist and have been stalling, because I want to make sure that I get it right. )

Does anybody have a website or manual they can recommend as a frame-work for this? Also, one of my thoughts for the directions was to include a one-page picture reference for the different supplies we use regularly (ie. different extensions, syringes, the g-tube itself, maybe even pictures of the different medicine bottles, etc) to help with understanding the directions. I'm hoping to take pics to go with each step, but would love to not have to reinvent the wheel if there's something like this already out there. 

Thanks! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: g-tube mommies--anyone have a g-tube 101 recommendation?

• I've never seen anything like that....probably because it is so individualized depending on equipment and need.  When we were teaching daycare, we modeled it and also wrote out step by step instructions as well as a troubleshooting page (ex: if the pump says "flow error," try this).  We made it as simple as could be and they know they can always call if needed.
  • Could you make a step by step video or power point presentation? You could have it on your desktop computer or even upload it to youtube for family to use at another location. If you did it as a Power Point presentation, you could print up the slides and keep them in a binder with her supplies.....I would do a google for it on youtube...
    WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Loading the player...
  • Would it be easier to take a video and put it on youtube?  or put it on a memory card that they could play on their computers as well/send the file to them?

That seems like it would be more valuable vs pictures.  

Just a thought.   

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Thanks ladies! 

Pretty much everybody in our family has an iphone or ipad, so we were thinking of taking a few short videos on our phone and emailing them to the people we've trained and then also making a DVD with all of the video steps put together that would go in the notebook with the written out step-by-step instructions. When I trained our younger (college) student therapists on how to use the g-tube last summer, they were super quick to catch on, but I just still don't feel confident in our older family members (who are really the people we trust more). I'm still debating about whether we should just hire a nurse already, so we don't have to worry about this. :/

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I love this site.  There is a family page and all kinds of videos.  

https://www.feedingtubeawareness.com/

• Complete Tube Feeding is an excellent book and resource for ALL. Find it at Completetubefeeding.net. Also, foodfortubies.com has heaps of g-tube and other tube resources, as well as info for everyone. Foodfortubies.com also has a partner site that you can click to head over to an active FB site. foodfortubies.com is more protected and private.

Beverly

President, Real Food for Real People, a nonprofit 

• I agree w/ pp- I found feedingtubeawareness.org really helpful for us in the beginning. You can find video links of how to do basic tube feeding things like how to hand prime a zevex infinity bag, how to do a bolus feed with the pump, how to do a syringe bolus feed, how to change a gtube, venting a gtube, how to clean an extension, etc. 

https://www.feedingtubeawareness.com/what-you-need-to-know.html 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"