February 2013 Moms
Options

Dave Ramsey Financial Management

I hope this doesn't come across as an ad or anything. 

I've been doing this financial management program with Dave Ramsey, totalmoneymakeover.com, daveramsey.com. The whole idea is that there's "baby steps" you take to get to "financial peace," out of debt and set up well for the future.

I'm on 2, which is paying off my debts like a crazy lady. It's tough, I have a really bare-bones budget right now, but I'm hoping that I can get the rest of my huge student loans paid off before the baby comes (or actually right after because he says you should stock up on money until momma and baby are home safe).

I don't know if any of you have heard of him, but I figured I'd pass it on just in case. I've found it really helpful to get my money in order (haven't had an overdraft fee since I started) and especially with all the baby stuff now, it's really nice to have one less thing to worry about.

As soon as I pay off my debts, I can start saving for a home for us! It's so exciting to think of owning our own home and having a place our baby can know is Home to grow up in!

It also includes steps for retirement and children's college which I'm also really excited about, I'd love to be able to have the baby's college all set!

Anyway, hope I'm not offending anyone with this, I just thought it might be a helpful resource, especially for us mommies to be. 

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Dave Ramsey Financial Management

• Options
    I use that site occaisonally, too. We are using his strategy of paying down credic card debt at this point. It has really helped us pay off some credit cards that we had from the past. I think it's a great method. Thanks for sharing!
    TTC:Off BCP December 2011. BFP #1 January 16, 2012; EDD September 12, 2012; m/c Feb,1 2012. BFP #2 June 6, 2012; EDD February 11, 2013; diagnosed with blighted ovum/had D&C July 12,2012. BFP #3 October 20, 2012; EDD June 29, 2013. BabyFruit Ticker Sunshine_zps3fcf529f
  • Options
    We have been on his financial plan for the last 3ish years and it's great. We have all of our debt paid off, money in savings and we are saving for a new car. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagelswivel:
    We have been on his financial plan for the last 3ish years and it's great. We have all of our debt paid off, money in savings and we are saving for a new car. 

Congrats! Did you do the debt-free scream on the radio? What issues did you find once you had your first? I'm trying to figure out how my budget will change, I'm thinking it'll be a bit more unpredictable. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imagenraymond1:

imagelswivel:

Congrats! Did you do the debt-free scream on the radio? What issues did you find once you had your first? I'm trying to figure out how my budget will change, I'm thinking it'll be a bit more unpredictable. 

After LO came I started working part time. We just adjusted our budget accordingly, we pretty mush just used my paychecks for savings. After a a month or two we priced out how much diapers, formula and other baby needs were and budgeted for it. Now that I am a SAHM we are re working our budget again. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My mom and I went to one of his shows a few years ago. I love his plan because it works!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
    image"">
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    ancp27ancp27 member
    My husband and I recently graduated from financial peace university (about 2 months ago) and we love it!  We have no debt, our cars are paid off, there is money in savings and every bill is paid at the beginning of the month.  It is crazy how much a 12 week program can change your life.  It is so weird not having to worry about money anymore.  He is a genius!
    *Formerly peainthepod?* TTC since 1/1/2006. All cycles BFN! IUI's & IVF with no luck. Emergency surgery 11/07 due to hemmoraging cyst on left ovary. 3rd HSG showed complete blockage of right tube (the good side), endo/cysts/adhesion removal 11/11. New start for 2012! Surprise BFP 6/17/12, due 2/12/13. It's a boy!!! Baby Boy born on January 26, 2013. 
  • Options
    Suz+MoSuz+Mo member

We used his plan (and followed it to a T!) to get out of debt! It wasn an amazing feeling to have no student loans, no car payments, nada!!  Now we are saving up for a house!

Good luck with it! can't wait till you get to shout "freeeeedom!!!"

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    emd886emd886 member
    My husband and I took the class through our church a couple of years ago and loved it. Lots of great information and help puts things in perspective. A lot of it is common sense, but nobody ever talked money with us so we found it very informative. We are paying things off hard core and in 1.5 years we're going to be debt free, including the house!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Getting his book has been on my todo list forever but I still haven't done anything!!  Until I can get it, do you have any suggestions as to how to get started?  I want to get out of debt but our budget is pretty bare bones as it is.  :-/  I'll check out the website you mentioned...
    Married 7/10/2009 * DD 12/2/2010 * DS 4/24/2014
    2 babies in heaven (mc)

Blog: ForLoveofCupcakes.com

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"