1st Trimester

Yikes! I ate a turkey club sandwich from Corner Bakery...

Hi Ladies,

I come to you all a little worried... I ordered a turkey club sandwich and after devouring it in 6 minutes I realized that it was similar to deli meat. Which, due to listeria, pregnant women should not eat. I don't thnk they heated up the turkey prior to making te sandwich. Anyone esle have this same experience? 

Re: Yikes! I ate a turkey club sandwich from Corner Bakery...

• You'll be fine unless Corner Bakery is code word for some gas station deli meat sandwiches that isn't kept at a proper temperature. I'm pretty sure it's not, so you're fine. :) 

If it makes you feel better, I ate Jimmy John's today and Subway last week. Unheated, as I have salads or unwiches. 

• Loading the player...
  • imageBrittanyDoesDerby:
    It's fine as long as the meat was stored properly. I've eaten quite a few turkey sandwiches with no remorse or complications, as have many other women.

This. I had an Italian mini hoagie the day after the nurse said no lunch meat. It was at a picnic, so it was that or a lunch of chips. I'm still alive and that was a very tasty sandwich!! 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've eaten quite a bit of deli meats and I'm still going strong! Just go to places that are clean & don't leave the meats out in the open. You and baby will be fine.
  • And seriously, look up the stats of how many women have gotten listeria..
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I ate a medium rare steak last night. You're going to be fine.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Then go ahead and look up all of the foods responsible for listeria outbreaks and cut out those, too. It's mostly produce so no salads or fruit!  Just eat highly processed stuff and you'll avoid food poisoning.  :-/
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • sesigssesigs member
    I eat unheated deli meat about once a week. Listeria isn't that common and they actually only made this a "rule" a few years ago. I've heard some ladies here mention they had their first 4 or 5 years ago and didn't have the deli meat restriction. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • It's all good. I would kill for corner bakery right now! I am craving super good turkey sandwiches lately and I have them. Like pp said it is a small risk that you could get from any fresh food. My current OB did not even mention it to me. Just don't get a sandwich from some skeevy  or maybe a vending machine and you will probably be good.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

• imagedrpayne:
    Then go ahead and look up all of the foods responsible for listeria outbreaks and cut out those, too. It's mostly produce so no salads or fruit!  Just eat highly processed stuff and you'll avoid food poisoning.  :-/

Exactly this.  Actually, Dole just recently recalled a bunch of bagged lettuce in several states.  I still eat deli meat when I am craving it, I just use common sense and wouldn't use any that hasn't been stored properly...same as when I am not pregnant. 

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• You should be fine. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageShayliz:

You'll be fine unless Corner Bakery is code word for some gas station deli meat sandwiches that isn't kept at a proper temperature. I'm pretty sure it's not, so you're fine. :) 

I'm sure you'll be fine!  

• Everytime I see this thread title it increases my craving for a turkey sandwich! Guess I know what's for lunch!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • You should be fine as long as it's a reputable store and they are good about keeping their ingredients at safe temperatures.

If you haven't gotten listeria from them before, you probably won't get it now. 

FWIW, my BF had to go into the hospital during late in her 2nd trimester (she was clearly showing) because of a dog bite. While she was at the hospital one of the nurses gave  her a turkey sandwich. She was fine.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagecwm11985:
    I ate a medium rare steak last night. You're going to be fine.

How well you cook your meat is not related to listeria; it's related to ecoli or a parasite.

Also it's very rare that you would get a food borne illness from a rare steak (unless the meat itself has gone bad, has mad cow, or the animal was sick in the first place). Ecoli and other bacteria live on the outside of meat. If you sear/cook the outside, you'll be fine.  You should eat burgers (or anything that's made from grd meat) well done because in the grinding process any potential bacteria on the surface of the meat will end up mixed in with the rest.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagebrittneygirl:
    And seriously, look up the stats of how many women have gotten listeria..

This. It is VERY rare and happens when food comes from irresponsible growing and processing methods. 

I'd recommend picking up The Panic-Free Pregnancy. It's written by an OB and researcher. He explains the science, studies, and history behind pregnancy "prohibitions" so that the reader can make their own informed decisions about what is best for their body and pregnancy.

• And now I want a Turkey Tom.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

PCOS and Hypothyroidism- Successful IUI's- May 2012 and October 2014.  Miscarriage @ 6w3d in December 2009.
  • If it makes you feel better, I ate Jimmy John's today and Subway last week. Unheated, as I have salads or unwiches. 

• You will be fine.  The chance of getting listeria is so incredibly minute- you have a bigger risk of getting in a car accident or falling down the stairs and causing complications to your pregnancy.  I ate Subway, Jimmy Johns, and had soft serve throughout my first pregnancy often.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't get this pregnancy "no-no" at all.  One pregnant woman somewhere got listeria from eating lunch meat that had been left out for a week and it spread like wildfire to not eat lunch meat?  You seriously have a higher risk of being hit by a car than getting listeria. 

OP, don't freak out.  I'm sure everything is just fine.  I've been living on lunch meat and cheese over here.  

Samuel Gregory-born 2/28/08 at 35w,5d due to severe pre-e and HELLP. 6lbs, 12 oz, 19 inches. Elijah Robert-born 11/23/09 at 38w,5d. 11 pounds, 10 ounces, 21.5 inches. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers <a href="http://s740.photobucket.com/albums/xx46/carlyn_mcclelland/Facebook/Cover Photos/?action=view
  • imageLiteraryFoodie:

imagecwm11985:

How well you cook your meat is not related to listeria; it's related to ecoli or a parasite.

Also it's very rare that you would get a food borne illness from a rare steak (unless the meat itself has gone bad, has mad cow, or the animal was sick in the first place). Ecoli and other bacteria live on the outside of meat. If you sear/cook the outside, you'll be fine.  You should eat burgers (or anything that's made from grd meat) well done because in the grinding process any potential bacteria on the surface of the meat will end up mixed in with the rest.

This exactly. When I see people make rare burgers I throw up in my mouth a little. Ground meat NEEDS to be cooked. Bleh!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I think you will be ok, my doc says the stats on people in general who actual ever get listeria is super low but since our immunity isn't as strong it is suggested that the deli meat be warmed up first. I love my deli sandwiches so now I just opt for toasting.

• I made a turkey sandwich after reading this post and it was delicious. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've eated deli meat half a dozen times from multiple shops.  YUM.  Don't freak out, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Oh and I have no intention of not eating deli meat or hot dogs while I'm pregnant.   

• imagecwm11985:

That sounds delicious. I'm thinking steak for dinner tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"