November 2011 Moms
Options

Lifesavers

What have been your lifesaver baby items? 

My cousin is having a baby shower and I just browsed her registry and it's all pretty much blankets, sheets, towels, wash clothes, baby soap/lotion, and misc. nicknacks. I really don't want to get any of that because I know in my family (obviously same family for cousin) that this is what everyone buys so she'll get a lot of all of this. I want to go off registry *gasp* and get her something that I thought was a lifesaver. I have something in mind but wanted to see what other people though were lifesavers to see if there's a common trend. 
Munchkin born 11/22/11
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Lifesavers

• Options

My friend made me a mommy lifesaver kit. It was in some plastic drawers and each drawer was labeled, bath time, feed me, and sick baby. It had everything I needed and more. I still use it and it has been great. Now undo the same thing for my friends. 

Some items are:

Gripe water, gas drops, desitin, petroleum jelly, Tylenol for infants, nose Freeda, saline spray, shampoo, lotion, bath toys. And on and on

Just think of the things you didn't get that you used and needed all the time and put them in a nice container. Perfect

Gift 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

The last two baby showers I've been to, I made a diaper cake. They're a fantastic way to give things that moms actually need (diapers!!) and put other things in that mom would find useful.

I have made a three layer cake with 2 packs of 40 diapers of Size 1 Pampers Swaddlers ($10 each at Target). In the middle of the lowest tier I put one of the large (refillable) Pampers wipes case and surround it with diapers. In layer two, I put an O-Ball (DD's first favorite toy) in the middle and surround that with diapers.

Here's a finished cake I made.

If you don't want to make one that big, I have also made a two tier diaper cake with 1 pack of the size 1 Pampers Swaddlers (40 diaps again). Nothing was in the middle of each layer besides the diapers. I surrounded it with links and pinned baby mittens, pacis, and a rattle to it.

Here is that cake:

Good luck!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Best gift I got at my showers was diapers.  Both my showers, the people throwing it, asked the guests to bring diapers along with their gift.  We just bought our first box of diapers about 3 weeks ago.  We go so many in different sizes that we were able to go over 6 months without buying diapers!!! 

Besides that anything with vibrate was a lifesaver for us.  Her bouncy seat and newborn napper on teh PNP were my go to if she wouldn't sleep or calm down, the vibrate always did the trick.  Another, is a book light, once I started bringing my book/book light during night feedings it got so much better!!  I had something to do and could still stay in her quiet room and not get her overstimulated. 

BFP #1 August 2007, Lost Nov 2007, no heartbeat found at anatomy ultrasound at 19 wks
    BFP #2 March 2011, Baby Girl born November 2011!!!
  • Options
    Noise machine: https://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Nursery-Projector-Sound-System/dp/B006SFUEF2    Not too pricey and a lot of different options. Much better than the stuffed animals that make the heartbeat noise.

Wubbanub: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_baby-products?_encoding=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=WubbaNub&node=165796011 

Right now I'm wishing I had more pants with feet since socks don't stay on for very long now. Long sleeve onesies too since shirts / jackets ride up every time I pick her up. Also appropriate seasonal clothes. I live in Seattle, but am from SoCal. A lot of my relatives got her cute little outfits for the middle of February. Re-gifts.

• Options
    Halo swaddle blankets, which we're still using.  I'drecommend getting thing a 6-9 month old baby will need, like teething rings, spoons, toys, etc.  Also bigger clothes and pants, which is what I end up buying now.  I got soooooo many newborn clothes but nothing for an older baby.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    First thing that comes to mind is the RNP. It was the only thing he would sleep in!

• Options

The wubbanub was a total lifesaver once he was old enough to grip on it!

Also, another vote for baby medical supplies - a good thermometer, syringe, saline spray, tylenol, some bandages, etc. 

Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • Options
    imagegracefulruby33:

The last two baby showers I've been to, I made a diaper cake. They're a fantastic way to give things that moms actually need (diapers!!) and put other things in that mom would find useful.

I like making diaper cakes too, but I'll be flying in for this shower and won't have any time to make one. 

Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

• Options
    imagevalerieanne9015:

Best gift I got at my showers was diapers.  Both my showers, the people throwing it, asked the guests to bring diapers along with their gift.  We just bought our first box of diapers about 3 weeks ago.  We go so many in different sizes that we were able to go over 6 months without buying diapers!!! 

I agree, diapers are always great. I have yet to buy any and probably won't for a while. My mom works for Huggies and gets a whole bunch of free or really in expensive diapers for me. She's got me stock up through size 4 (we're in 2s now). My mom also has 5 boxes or so set aside for my cousin. 
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

• Options
    This is a really great gift idea!
  • Options
    I am/was a total diaper snob and ended up giving away all the diapers that were not my favorite from my shower. I think my lifesaver gift was a basket of goodies that a coworker put together. It contained: Pacifiers, lotion, baby wash, boogie wipes, a few toys, diaper cream, and a bunch of other random items that I would have never thought to purchase for myself and were to small to be given as individual gifts. Also my Moby wrap was another lifesaver! I still use the basket all of those goodies came in. It sits on a shelf downstairs and contains diapers, diaper cream and wipes (we live in a 2 story house). I certainly would go practical.
  • Options

imageerrica720:
    First thing that comes to mind is the RNP. It was the only thing he would sleep in!

Seconded. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"