October 2012 Moms

Am I being lame? MIL related

Quick background:  I have known DH for over 13 years and been married for almost 5.  I get along with everyone on DH side except for my MIL.  I have always been respectful and polite to her.  When we got married, I included her in everything that the bridesmaids did (fittings, etc.) since my SIL was in the wedding. Both my parents and I opened up our home to her for all events in order to bring the families together and even invited her to stay over whenever she wanted when DD was born.  Despite all of this, she has always ignored me or excluded me from things.  The ways she treats me is completely different from the way she treats others.  What finally did it for me was her not wanting to show up to DD's baptism because that's not what she believed in.  She always tried to make DH pick sides and he finally stood up to her and said he wasn't going to deal with her crap anymore and that DD and I were what he chooses and she needed to stop.  She eventually talked to me, apologized, told me that I didn't do anything wrong and she was going to change in turn, I was able to give her a piece of my mind.  I told her that DH and DD were my priority...not her.  I told her at that point if she wanted to be a part of our lives, she needed to make the effort, because we had always done it and while she didn't have to agree with how we want to raise our family, she needed to at least be there for her granddaughter.  I also told her I was not longer going to deal with her crap.

That was 2 years ago and while things got better for a few months, she went back to her old ways.  She at least says hello when I say hello to her, but she still makes no attempt to see DD.

Here's where I want to know if I'm being lame.  DH and I have an event to go to in a month or so.  We need a babysitter and DH wants to ask SIL to come to our house and watch her.  We live about 70-80 miles away from SIL.  I have no problem with this.  We will have a place for her to stay and I completely get along with SIL.  The only thing I did tell DH is that I do not want MIL in our house when we aren't here, let alone staying overnight.  Is this reasonable?  I told DH this before he even asked SIL because I can see MIL trying to tag along.  I don't trust her.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Am I being lame? MIL related

• Doesnt sound lame at all. If your SIL is an adult then there should be no reason for your MIL to be with her. Your house, your kid, your rule. Not lame at all
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's too bad that your MIL and you don't get along better, but at the end of the day it's your house and your rules.  You are not being lame.  If you don't feel comfortable having her there then you have every right to set that limit.  I get along pretty well with my ILs but I had to have a talk with my DH about ILs coming to my house to see my DD when my MIL babysits.  My DH thinks that his family has an open invitation to walk right in the house any time.  I just don't feel comfortable having people just "pop" in when I am not home.  That's just my comfort level and as this is where I live that is a limit I set with my DH about who and when people are invited in.  

Unfortunately you can't make another person have a great relationship with you or your children.  The best you can do is try to find settings and times you are comfortable with to put them together and encourage positive interaction.  It goes back to that saying, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.  I hope things work out for you. 

imageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Oct Angel Babies
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes. And no. 
    I certainly wouldn't want my MIL (who I also don't really care for) in my house without me. Frankly I don't want her there with me. ;-) Anyway, but here's the thing, is she dangerous? Probably not. Is she going to go through your personal belongings? If you think so, I think that's reason enough to not have her over, but I'm guessing the answer is no. Will she harm your DD? Again probably not. I'm pretty irritated with my SIL (who treated me like crap for most of the last year and is suddenly being nice to me) and honestly I don't even want DS to play with her because of how she treated me. I don't blame you for not wanting her over there, but I think it's important to make the distinction between your feelings are hurt because your relationship with her sucks and there's any real danger in having her there. If you said, "I simply don't want her over at my house without me because she treats me like crap." I'd say okay, fair enough. But the trust bit makes it seem like you're trying to come with a justifiable reason when "she treats me like crap" is reason enough. 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • IEtoLAIEtoLA member
    imageelfchique:
    Yes. And no. 
    I certainly wouldn't want my MIL (who I also don't really care for) in my house without me. Frankly I don't want her there with me. ;-) Anyway, but here's the thing, is she dangerous? Probably not. Is she going to go through your personal belongings? If you think so, I think that's reason enough to not have her over, but I'm guessing the answer is no. Will she harm your DD? Again probably not. I'm pretty irritated with my SIL (who treated me like crap for most of the last year and is suddenly being nice to me) and honestly I don't even want DS to play with her because of how she treated me. I don't blame you for not wanting her over there, but I think it's important to make the distinction between your feelings are hurt because your relationship with her sucks and there's any real danger in having her there. If you said, "I simply don't want her over at my house without me because she treats me like crap." I'd say okay, fair enough. But the trust bit makes it seem like you're trying to come with a justifiable reason when "she treats me like crap" is reason enough. 
    . She is known to snoop and let herself into rooms she isn't suppose to go into and has no boundaries.  She also has a tendency to do things that aren't very safe, for example give DD deflated balloons or bring her dog around when she knows her dog has a tendency to bite, even after we have told her that the dog needs to go away if DD is going to be around.  And like you said...she treats me like crap, do how can I welcome someone like that in my home. 
  • I think that has potential to make your relationship even worse if you bar her from your home. If MIL does want to tag along (which doesn't sound like it would be the case if she really has no interest in DD), and your H has to tell her she's not allowed, then I think you'll come out looking like the bad guy. It's tough leaving your kid though, so if it makes you that uncomfortable, I'd try to find a very subtle way of dissuading her to come along. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Can you get a different babysitter? That's what I would do.

What happens if your SIL understands the rules, but your MIL just shows up? I mean, if it were me, I would have a tough time telling my mom "no, you're not allowed in"..........

I don't think you're being unreasonable or lame in your request, but if you want to be certain that your MIL won't tag along, find a different babysitter.

GL!

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • IEtoLAIEtoLA member
    imageHarrietNJMommy:

Can you get a different babysitter? That's what I would do.

What happens if your SIL understands the rules, but your MIL just shows up? I mean, if it were me, I would have a tough time telling my mom "no, you're not allowed in"..........

I don't think you're being unreasonable or lame in your request, but if you want to be certain that your MIL won't tag along, find a different babysitter.

GL!

. DH already spoke to SIL and she is really excited that we asked her.  I don't even think that MIL will find out unless SIL tells her. DH said he would talk to SIL about it in order to prevent any issues.  The only issue is now waiting for SIL to make sure she can do it.   
  • imagecandaceleigh21:
    Doesnt sound lame at all. If your SIL is an adult then there should be no reason for your MIL to be with her. Your house, your kid, your rule. Not lame at all

This! If your MIL is choosing to act the way she acts (which is very immature!), then you have every right to exclude her wherever and whenever you see fit. Her actions = logical consequences. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"