Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

What to wear to an interview in 100 degree weather?

I got an interview for a great job, that I am so psyched about. I work at a university and its just in a different department. Its sweltering where I live, 100 degrees and prob 80% humidity (not joking). The work environment is also regularly dressy casual. The final piece is that we want to get pregnant in a couple weeks (great timing, I know), and I don't want to drop $200 on an interview outfit that I'm not going to wear again for two years. Thoughts? Suggestions? I went to Macys, New York and Co, Loft, Ann Taylor, Express, Gap and BR and found NOTHING. TIA!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: What to wear to an interview in 100 degree weather?

• MrsSRMrsSR member

In that heat and a dressy casual environment I'd go with a career dress.

Check out JcPenney.

• I would go with a dress and a cardigan.  I get chilly in my office when the A/C is blasting so I like to have layers.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • To add to my suggestion, I would buy an inexpensive dress from Kohls or even Target if it is just for the interview.  Just make sure it looks nice and professional, if you are going to wear it again, why waste money on it?!?

I recently bought a dress from Target on Clearance for $12.  I throw a cardigan on and a decent pair of heels and it looks awesome.  I have received more compliments on my $12 dress from target than I have on pricier pieces from "better names".

• Your suggestions have heartened me! I am going back to Loft tomorrow to buy a cardigan....and maybe some cute shoes, haha. Done! Thanks, Ladies!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I spent 5 years in Human resources, and my input is to wear a suit because a suit looks completly professional and is always accepted attire at an interview.   Considering your situation though, I would buy black dress slacks or skirt, a non revealing white blouse and a black cardigan.  Then top off the outfit with a colorfull small scarf - don't wrap it around your neck though, then it looks like you are hiding hickies Big Smile just drape the scarf around your neck so a BIT of it shows outside your jacket collar if that makes sense..  The black and white 'implies" suit while the colorful scarf shows confidence. 

You could also do this with Browns and cream top.  I've never been a big fan of brightly colored suits, but if you had a heringbone skirt with a while shirt and cartigan you could do this and skip the scarf.

We were pretty picky in HR, if the job isn't important enough for you to dress up for- then why would we want to hire you.  But this is just all my two cents, but if you do wear a dress, wear a cardigan, bare arms in an interfiew is a no no.

If the house ain't burned down and the baby's fed it was a successful day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBrendaLou1969:

I spent 5 years in Human resources, and my input is to wear a suit because a suit looks completly professional and is always accepted attire at an interview.   Considering your situation though, I would buy black dress slacks or skirt, a non revealing white blouse and a black cardigan.  Then top off the outfit with a colorfull small scarf - don't wrap it around your neck though, then it looks like you are hiding hickies Big Smile just drape the scarf around your neck so a BIT of it shows outside your jacket collar if that makes since..  The black and white 'implies" suit while the colorful scarf shows confidence. 

You could also do this with Browns and cream top.  I've never been a big fan of brightly colored suits, but if you had a heringbone skirt with a while shirt and cartigan you could do this and skip the scarf.

We were pretty picky in HR, if the job isn't important enough for you to dress up for- then why would we want to hire you.  But this is just all my two cents, but if you do wear a dress, wear a cardigan, bare arms in an interfiew is a no no.

This.  I work in recruiting and HR and I will tell you if you aren't in a suit in a professional environment it does affect how seriously people take you, both me and the hiring managers.  As much as it sucks to be hot I feel like a lot of times women make excuses so they dont have to wear a suit were as I have rarely seen a man interviewing do the same, it's just not acceptable.  Yeah when you get there they may say "Oh you didnt have to wear a suit," but believe me it is noticed and will be appreciated that you are showing them and the job respect.   If you don't own a suit you can currently wear I would just buy something reasonably priced. 

I will say you can get away with a colored top that isn't button down as long as it's still professional looking, no patterns, and no crazy bright color.  If you want to wear a lighter weight top under the suit jacket and get a suit that has a skirt, then as soon as you get out of the interview you can take your suit jacket off and hopefully keep from roasting.  And the excuse of what the regular office dress code is to get away with a less professional inteview outfit doesn't fly with me.  I used to work in video games and dress code there was none existent and people seriously came to work in shorts and game t-shirts, however to interview for a job there you still needed to be in a suit, anything less got a serious side eye.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagenumeria11:
    imageBrendaLou1969:

I spent 5 years in Human resources, and my input is to wear a suit because a suit looks completly professional and is always accepted attire at an interview.   Considering your situation though, I would buy black dress slacks or skirt, a non revealing white blouse and a black cardigan.  Then top off the outfit with a colorfull small scarf - don't wrap it around your neck though, then it looks like you are hiding hickies Big Smile just drape the scarf around your neck so a BIT of it shows outside your jacket collar if that makes since..  The black and white 'implies" suit while the colorful scarf shows confidence. 

This.  I work in recruiting and HR and I will tell you if you aren't in a suit in a professional environment it does affect how seriously people take you, both me and the hiring managers.  As much as it sucks to be hot I feel like a lot of times women make excuses so they dont have to wear a suit were as I have rarely seen a man interviewing do the same, it's just not acceptable.  Yeah when you get there they may say "Oh you didnt have to wear a suit," but believe me it is noticed and will be appreciated that you are showing them and the job respect.   If you don't own a suit you can currently wear I would just buy something reasonably priced. 

I will say you can get away with a colored top that isn't button down as long as it's still professional looking, no patterns, and no crazy bright color.  If you want to wear a lighter weight top under the suit jacket and get a suit that has a skirt, then as soon as you get out of the interview you can take your suit jacket off and hopefully keep from roasting.  And the excuse of what the regular office dress code is to get away with a less professional inteview outfit doesn't fly with me.  I used to work in video games and dress code there was none existent and people seriously came to work in shorts and game t-shirts, however to interview for a job there you still needed to be in a suit, anything less got a serious side eye.

This.  Do not wear a dress and cardigan. That would look completely unprofessional and would not make a good first impression. 

I'm Head of HR at a large hospital.  I would recommed a suit to anyone interviewing for a position.  Always!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well, I guess I am wrong, I would go with what these ladies said! They clearly know more than me and they make total sense!

• vigurlvigurl member

imagelachute:
    I wear skirt suits on hot Interviews. No pantyhose with a plain modest tank top. I throw my jacket on when I enter the ac building. 

Exactly this.  I also work in HR.  Just  put the jacket on a hanger in your car and put it on when you arrive.

• I would opt for a thong and a smile. haha... All joking aside I would try a nice pair of slacks with a lightweight top

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"