Parenting

Uncirc'ed penis question, pls help

Hi ladies,

I don't post here often, but I thought I'd get the most replies here as it's a high traffic board..

Only about 10% of boy babies are circ'd now in Australia, so neither of my kids are.  My DH is American and in his 30s, so he is.  Neither of us have much/any experience in this matter so I had a question: (it's not something I want to bring up with my IRL friends..?!)

DS1 is 3 years old and his penis will occasionally get red and irritated, and start having a whitish discharge on his undies.  He says it hurts a bit.  It goes away after a few good soaks in the bathtub.  He usually gets a shower every day, but when this happens we put him in the tub and that fixes it.  But is this normal?  And how often is normal?  Is there something else we should be doing?

I plan on asking the GP next time we go in.   

Thanks for your input:)) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Uncirc'ed penis question, pls help

• I would call your pedi and ask. I don't think this is normal. My DS isn't circ'ed and he's never had this issue.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Hm... that`s not normal. When you shower him, are you making sure his penis is well washed? Like, pulling back the foreskin and ensuring everything gets clean? So necessary. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • shakesshakes member

That would be a yeast infection. It's probably recurring because it's gone untreated, a round of antibiotics of some sort will fix it up within a week or so. I do have some experience with it from my days as a nanny. It's not overly common but it does happen. I would also recommend doing a month or more of an intensive probiotic during and after the script, as it will flood his gut with healthy bacteria. When there is no good bacteria in the system from things like antibiotics yeast tends to spread even easier.

That being said, I would call the pedi. GL.

• imagejoyfullyfound:
    Hm... that`s not normal. When you shower him, are you making sure his penis is well washed? Like, pulling back the foreskin and ensuring everything gets clean? So necessary. 

Actually this is exactly what our doctors told us not to do. Pulling it back can lead to infection if it's not ready to be pulled back. (and sometimes that won't be for a long time, near puberty) You are supposed to clean it the same way you would any other part.

I would take him to the doctor. We've never had issues and neither of my kids are.

• I agree - a trip to the Ped is in order - untreated it's only going to get worse and this way it can be documented such that if a circ becomes necessary down the road he's younger rather than older (the older a boy gets the bigger of an issue it is to have it done)...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • frlcbfrlcb member

imagejoyfullyfound:
    Hm... that`s not normal. When you shower him, are you making sure his penis is well washed? Like, pulling back the foreskin and ensuring everything gets clean? So necessary. 

Oh Jesus. This is such completely wrong information. You NEVER retract the foreskin until it retracts on its own, which is not going to be happening at the age of 3. Never.Retract.Foreskin. You clean it like you would clean a finger.

It sounds like a yeast infection, my ds gets them. You will have to get a cream to put on it, or maybe antibiotics. We just get Nystatin to put on it. Call your GP. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"