September 2012 Moms
Options

Holy Birth Plan Batman!!

How are you are ladies choosing which birth plan guide to use?  I only know that I'm not a huge fan of TB's version.  Anyone have a really good online birth plan that they are using? There are so many choices to go through if I Google it.

Re: Holy Birth Plan Batman!!

• Options
    Babycenter has one too. I kinda combined elements that I liked from the bump's and babycenter's and the earth mama one too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have the same question and welcome the advice! Thanks ladies!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I discussed birth plans with my OB and he said they are only needed if you are concerned about the communication between you and your provider (dr, mw, etc.). That being said, the extent of my "plan" is don't do anything that isn't medically necessary, tell/ask me about it before doing it and keep me and MH with our baby as much as possible. This is all standard procedure for the OBs at the practice I go to anyway.
    ~ Waiting for our Little Spartan~
    Our Baby Boy is due September 8, 2012
  • Options
    HKearlHKearl member
    Another thing to think about is taking a tour of your L&D area of your hospital. I had already printed out and looked at a few birth plans before going. After having the tour, more than half of the birth plan can be thrown away as they already do what I want as a mandatory part of their process! I got way lucky I think. Plus your hospital may have a birth plan guide on their website and they may answer some of those questions on there. GL
  • Options
    My OB/hospital gave me a pretty comprehensive birth plan checklist and I just check off what I want/dont want so that was easy. I wasn't even going to make a birth plan and just go with the flow. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I didn't use a birth plan template, just typed up my wishes in word.  My only concern was not wanting an IV unless medically necessary and my OB said just to write it down so it can be put in my file. 
     Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    lex382lex382 member

I freaked out when I saw the one on the bump because it was so long; when I met with my doula we just made a one page plan about what I want as long as everything is progressing as it should - should any surprises come up we'll evaluate what choices are actually available to us at that point - I'm going to paste what's in our birth plan in case you need any ideas - not sure how the formatting will turn out

First-stage labor

• I would like a heparin lock in case of emergency, but not routine IV fluids
    • I believe that I can labor without pain medication, but if I decide otherwise I will tell you when I am ready. Please don?t make suggestions about pain relief until then.
    • Would like to have intermittent rather than continuous fetal monitoring.
    • Would like dim lights, soft voices and as few interruptions as possible.

Second-stage labor

• I would like to push in a variety of positions and would like a squat bar be made available to me. I would prefer to push as I feel the urge and not be given verbal cues, such as counting. If it becomes apparent that my pushing is ineffective, I will be happy to take advice on alternative strategies.
    • Regarding an episiotomy, I am hoping to protect the perineum. I am practicing ahead of time by squatting and doing Kegal exercises. I would appreciate guidance in when to push and to stop pushing so the perineum can stretch.
    • Would like to have a mirror available so I can see the baby?s head when it crowns.

After birth

• Immediate skin-to-skin contact with baby placed on my stomach/chest
    • Please delay newborn procedures until after the first breastfeeding is completed
    • Physician to cut the cord. Cord blood donation through StemCyte. Please delay cord clamping if possible.

For Baby

• Breastfeeding only.
    • Please provide the following newborn procedures: Vitamin K, Hep B, eye ointment

We thank you in advance for your support and look forward to a wonderful birth experience!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

imageLindsayB8469:

This but it's long...  try to keep it under a page or less.  If you walk in with 3-4 pages, nobody is going to read it. 

Also, there is no need to put in stuff that is normal practice... for example no need to put "please administer hep b shot, vitamin k and eye drops" as this is something that is normally done. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"