October 2011 Moms

Who's still breastfeeding?

What are your plans (if any) to wean?  Will you transition to cow's milk, formula, or something else?

I don't plan on breastfeeding far beyond Juliet turning 1 (in August), but I'm not sure what to transition her to.  I don't think I love the idea of her transitioning to cow's milk, although I suppose I should do a bit more research before eliminating that option all together.  I'd also prefer not to transition to formula.  Are those my only options?  Do babies really need milk after weaning, or can she just eat food and drink water?  

I've hit up Dr. Google on this and surprisingly haven't found much.  I figured it would be a much more common question...but maybe I'm just that much dumber than the rest of the universe.  So, please...enlighten me!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Who's still breastfeeding?

• imagektrkate:

What are your plans (if any) to wean?  Will you transition to cow's milk, formula, or something else?

I don't plan on breastfeeding far beyond Juliet turning 1 (in August), but I'm not sure what to transition her to.  I don't think I love the idea of her transitioning to cow's milk, although I suppose I should do a bit more research before eliminating that option all together.  I'd also prefer not to transition to formula.  Are those my only options?  Do babies really need milk after weaning, or can she just eat food and drink water?  

I've hit up Dr. Google on this and surprisingly haven't found much.  I figured it would be a much more common question...but maybe I'm just that much dumber than the rest of the universe.  So, please...enlighten me!

I am still BFing and planned to transition to cows milk at 1 year.
    Baby Q born on 7/20/2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I still am.  I plan to make it to 1 year, then will transition to cow's milk.  If she is having a tough time, I'm willing to do a nursing session first thing in the morning, and right before bed.  I'm lucky that she still doesn't have teeth, so we'll see if things change once teeth come in. 

• Loading the player...
  • Goat's milk?

ETA

My brother with 8 kids is doing this.   They just bought goats over the winter. 

I think you can buy goat's milk from a farm for around $8 a gallon.

https://www.ehow.com/how_6049239_wean-old-breast-goat_s-milk.html

siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • imagektrkate:

I am still breastfeeding and also plan to wean at one year.  I was going to do it the month of October.  I guess I just assumed that all babies transitioned to cows milk after one year and didn't take formula anymore.  It will be interesting to see what others do or what our pediatrician recommends.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagepennysuedog:

Goat's milk?

ETA

My brother with 8 kids is doing this.   They just bought goats over the winter. 

I think you can buy goat's milk from a farm for around $8 a gallon.

https://www.ehow.com/how_6049239_wean-old-breast-goat_s-milk.html

Interesting.  I didn't know that goat's milk more closely resembled human milk.  Thanks for the link! 

• My goal is to no longer pump by the time I go back to work in Sept, so start weaning in Aug. I might keep the morning and night bf'ing sessions for as long as my supply lasts.

I will give her the rest of my small stash of bm, then formula until she hits 1. I will gradually start mixing in WCM into her formula. First 75% formula, 25% WCM, then 50/50, then 25/75, etc.

Hopefully she'll be on WCM exclusively by the beginning of 2013.

My Chart

My Life

BFP 7.7.09 - CVS 9.10.09 (Girl) - 9.24.09 Severe Fatal Malformation - D&E 10.7.09 @ 17wks
    BFP 6.1.10 - 6.10.10 Ectopic M/C @ 5wks
    BFP 10.26.10 - 10.29.10 CP
    BFP 1.30.11 - CVS 3.28.11 (Girl) - EDD 10.11.11 - Born 10.6.11
    BFP 12.18.12 - 12.20.12 CP
    BFP 3.18.13 - CVS 5.21.13 (Girl) - EDD 12.2.13 - Born 11.24.13
    BFP 6.10.14 - CVS 7.2.14 (Girl) - EDD 1.12.15 - Born sleeping 8.6.14 @ 17w5d
  • I'm doing a combo of breastfeeding and formula, so when I finish the transition either in July or August, I'll switch to formula. 
  • I'm still mostly bf, with 1-2 bottles of formula a day. I plan on nursing until she's a year, possibly longer if she wants in the morning and evening before bed. She's already dropping feedings so who knows. I'm going to do whole milk.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker CafeMom Tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • i am BFing and will start weaning to org. whole milk around 11 1/2 months, i did the same with DD and she was fully weaned by 12 1/2 months.  i believe that they need the fat in whole milk or 2% for proper brain development until they reach 2 years--then they still need milk, just not as much.

photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • I am still mostly BFing as well. I actually just started mixing a couple bottles of formula a week (one on Fridays and one on Saturdays when I'm working) with what I was able to pump.. it's about 50/50.

I'm hoping to make it to one year like this, and around then I will transition her to cow's milk. I'm not too concerned about hitting any milestone though, if she wants to BF longer so be it.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'd like to wear around a year. I have a ton of milk frozen that I plan on using before staring WCM. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • They need breast milk, whole cows milk or formula til two years of age. Ideally. That's my understanding based on the research I have done because my LO has a dairy allergy. I am still breastfeeding him because he will not take the hypoallergenic formulas (plus they are expensive anyway). 

I always planned to wean at a year. Now I have no idea what to do. None of the milk alternatives are really appropriate substitutions in terms of fat, protein, and nutrients...they are all lacking in at least one area if not all. His Ped said to use soy but I'm loathe to make processed soy a large part of a toddlers diet. I don't want to do extended breastfeeding. Ugh. I have no clue.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• imageWineBaby22:
    imageababymaybe:

They need breast milk, whole cows milk or formula til two years of age. Ideally. That's my understanding based on the research I have done because my LO has a dairy allergy. I am still breastfeeding him because he will not take the hypoallergenic formulas (plus they are expensive anyway). 

I always planned to wean at a year. Now I have no idea what to do. None of the milk alternatives are really appropriate substitutions in terms of fat, protein, and nutrients...they are all lacking in at least one area if not all. His Ped said to use soy but I'm loathe to make processed soy a large part of a toddlers diet. I don't want to do extended breastfeeding. Ugh. I have no clue.  

I guess I'm in the same boat. How much WCM/BM do they need per day from 1-2 years? I wouldn't mind extended breastfeeding as much if I only had to do it once a day, but I'm assuming they need more than that?

I don't plan on weaning at a year. I'll continue to BF until 2 if I can, unless it keeps us from getting pregnant again. Then I'll wean earlier. I do plan on introducing organic wcm at a year though, starting in small amounts so he gets used to it. According to kellymom between age 1-2 they need to BF at least 3-4 times a day, or have 16-20 oz of wcm in order to gat the amount of fats, calcium, and vitamin D they need.
  • We're still breastfeeding and I'll start weaning around 1 year - that's when I'll stop pumping at least (I'm counting down the days).  At that point I'll nurse when I'm available to, and use up my freezer stash/switch to WCM when I'm not.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageWineBaby22:
    imageababymaybe:

They need breast milk, whole cows milk or formula til two years of age. Ideally. That's my understanding based on the research I have done because my LO has a dairy allergy. I am still breastfeeding him because he will not take the hypoallergenic formulas (plus they are expensive anyway). 

I guess I'm in the same boat. How much WCM/BM do they need per day from 1-2 years? I wouldn't mind extended breastfeeding as much if I only had to do it once a day, but I'm assuming they need more than that?

yes,they need more than that for sure.  my son would have 2-3 8oz cups of whole milk a day at that age in addition to nursing morning and night.  I plan to do the same w/ DD. i'm fine w/ keeping those 2 nursing sessions for as long as she wants.

imageimage

• I am still BF and I want to do it until LO turns 2 I hope.  This kid loves the chi chi and not just mine, the other day my neighbor came by she has huge chi chis and he was all over her putting his hands on her breasts and then decided to put his hands between her breasts and try to grab her nipple..

• imagecrazyjackie:

I am still BF and I want to do it until LO turns 2 I hope.  This kid loves the chi chi and not just mine, the other day my neighbor came by she has huge chi chis and he was all over her putting his hands on her breasts and then decided to put his hands between her breasts and try to grab her nipple..

Chi Chis??!? 

photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • I'm still EPing and hope to make it a year. I'm going back to work on Monday and not sure how pumping is going to work (since it takes me FOREVER to pump). I am 99% sure I can make it to 10 months. I was really hoping to not have to use formula (the cost) so I'm going to really try to make it a year. We will start feeding him cow's milk at his solid meal times (he takes water/pedialyte with no issues). I think his morning bottle and night bottle are going to be the hardest to switch. Hopefully we can hold on to those at least for awhile. 
    photo
  • We are.  We tried weaning but failed.  I love bf'ing and am not ready, even though we want TTC next month.  No period yet and no weaning in sight :)  I did ask my pedi, when we planned on weaning a few months ago and she said you transition to cows milk at 1 year. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagejonnygurl76:
    imagecrazyjackie:

I am still BF and I want to do it until LO turns 2 I hope.  This kid loves the chi chi and not just mine, the other day my neighbor came by she has huge chi chis and he was all over her putting his hands on her breasts and then decided to put his hands between her breasts and try to grab her nipple..

Chi Chis??!? 

I know I know!!!  I am married to a Latino man that is what they are called... 

• memo9memo9 member
    I'm still BFing too.  No idea on weaning, I SAH so it's not very difficult for me to nurse her.  We will probably start adding in organic cow's milk after she is 1.
  • I am.  I have always had supply issues so I nurse and then supplement.  I plan to keep this up for as long as she wants to nurse, switching out the donor milk/formula with WCM after her first birthday.

• My goal is to BF as long as possible during this pregnancy.  Hoping to make it to a year, but if my supply drops before then I will transition her to formula, then cow milk after a year.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • ebp913ebp913 member

My original goal was 1 year because we wanted to try for another baby and I figured I couldn't get pregnant while nursing.  Since that went out the window I think I might continue to nurse until closer to 14-16 months.  I don't think I want to do tandem nursing but I'm not sure yet. 

If Olivia weans or I dry up then I guess I'll have to switch to formula before a year but I am hoping we can make it 4 more months and then reevaluate.  I plan to introduce cow's milk at a year regardless because I want to stop pumping.

image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"