Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

solids and ounces of formula/bm

i was looking at gerber.com's menus for starting solids and they suggest 6 4oz bottles buit ive read that you should do 2.5 times your baby's weight to see how many oz whicg for us would be 36 oz  thats a big difference....i forget what i did with dd#1....THOUGHTS??

i didnt think you were supposed to start decreasing bm or formula even though they start eating solids...

thanks!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: solids and ounces of formula/bm

• Options

imageHilarityEnsued:
    ETA: The pedi did say that once we started getting 3 meals or so of solids per day, he would decrease some of his formula intake. 

This happened to us. I tried to give 4 8oz bottles a day, but DS usually ends up only taking about 28-30oz a day.

Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I think it depends on the baby.  I heard the 2.5x body weight rule - by that rule, my DS would be drinking about 40+ oz of BM and there is NO WAY he could ever do that.  He literally gets about half that, and it's a huge struggle to get him there.  I estimated that he's getting about 20 oz of milk per day (and he doesn't even want that), plus 3 meals are offered (he often doesn't even eat the first) and my Dr. said that was fine.  She also said that at 7 months if he had 2-3 bottles a day that was enough. 

TTC in 2008. Stage II/III endo, Hashimotos hypothyroid, low morph (3%).
    2 cycles Clomid/Ovidrel/TI/Crinone=BFN.
    IUI #1 - 4 Follistim/Ovidrel/IUI/Crinone = BFN.
    IVF #1 - Antagonist w/ ICSI 4/10. 17 retrieved, 5DT of 2, BFN :(
    IVF #2 - Long Lupron w/ ICSI 6/10. 15 retrieved, 3DT of 2, BFFN!!
    Lap 7/21/10
    IVF #3 - Clomid/Antagonist w/ ICSI 10/10. 14 retreived, 3DT of 3, BFP 10/20 but m/c. No HB 11/15/10 - D&C 11/17/10.
    FET - 2 blasts, 1 survived the thaw. Transfer 2/19. Beta #1 3/1 375, Beta #2 3/3 885, Beta #3 3/8 4261, Beta #4 3/11 9005. U/S 3/8 1 sac 1 yolk, U/S 3/16 1 heartbeat 114bpm!

James born Oct. 24th 2011 via c-section at 38 weeks!

Surprise BFP - Jack born April 28, 2013 via VBAC after PTL at 33 1/2 weeks!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My pediatrician told me at the 6 month check-up that LO's tend to start decreasing their formula/bm intake since they're starting to even out on the growth chart about this time. I didn't reduce what formula I offered while I introduced solids but I have followed DD's lead on dropping or reducing a bottle as we've gotten up to 3 meals per day.

I asked about DD's formula intake at 7.5 months. She is up to 3-4 oz for 3 meals daily, plus 1 full oatmeal serving split between breakfast & dinner. Her doctor said that she needs 16-24 oz of formula daily eating this amount.

If you're still not sure that your LO is getting enough formula or bm, talk to your pediatrician. And if your LO isn't cranky, chances are that he is just fine :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"