September 2012 Moms

Talk to me about your burp cloths

I know this isnt a very exciting thread but I was going to start doing some basic baby laundry and I was so unhappy with our burp cloths from DS that I just want new ones. For DS we had the Gerber plain cloth diapers BUT the middle got all bunched up after the first washing and it got worse from there. Plus, they didnt seem soft at all. He was a "happy spitter", needless to say they are ready to be tossed or become cleaning rags.

I have seen the plain cloth diaper ones that other moms had that looked uber soft and flat and i want those, but I don't know what kind or anything.

-what kind/ brand do you have? Organic?

- how many ply?

- did you wash them in a special way ( we used all free & clear for everything with DS)?

Ps- I am going to repost on 0-3 as well :) TIA!

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Talk to me about your burp cloths

• FTM so not much help, but my mom is just making all of ours. She is making them out of the same cloth as the receiving blankets. My sister has them and they work and wash great!

• I just grabbed the cheapest pack of cloth diapers from Walmart, and they worked great for me with DS1. I will be re-using them this time.  I also always put a bib on him when he nursed and used it to wipe his mouth. It kept his clothes clean and I used the cloth diaper for burping him and to cover my own clothes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;</style>
  • Loading the player...
  • My SIL made us a ton of burp cloths from flannel.  They're just two layers sewn together--super simple, and work great.  I wash all of our clothes in free and clear detergent, so no "special" washing for us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural miscarriage @ 5w2d 5/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With DD I always just used flannel receiving blankets. (We got a ton from my baby shower.) They worked great but DD didn't spit up a lot either. Plus I liked that they were really big compared to normal burp clothes and worked just the same. 

• I also used our ton of receiving blankets. I'd double them over and liked how use could keep doubling if you needed to. We dealt with outright vomit after every feeding til I figured out he had food allergies, and they worked well.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You could order a dozen flats from green mountian diapers, a friend of mine did that and then got her son's name embroidered on them to make them 'cute'. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I used the six-ply prefold Gerber cloth diapers and I was happy with them. I just washed and dried them with all the other laundry.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I bought cloth diapers from Target and used those as burp cloths.  I don't remember the brand, but I have been very happy with them.  They have been washed a million times and are still in great condition.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we have both gerber burp cloths & gerber cloth diapers we use as burp cloths.

•  

I got two packs of the bru ones. With ds I think I also had the bru brand. We didnt really use them much with him, so I figured 2 packs would be good to start with and then if need be Id get more.

My friend had the gerber white cloth diapers ones and swore by them.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My favorite last time were the cloth diapers.  I'm making some this time out of the gazillion receiving blankets I have.  They will just be a two ply flannel burp cloth.

• I made all of my burp cloths.  Mine are made with the decorative fabric of your choice on one side, and a chenille on the back.  These come out super soft, and are so cute!  You can whip them out pretty quickly too!  
  • imageLoveLossHopeRepeat:

We had the Gerber-brand cloth diapers and I loved them. When compared to the stuff sold as burp cloths, the Gerber diapers were so much more absorbent, and so soft, which helped when it came to wiping her face over and over. As a bonus, they were cheap, and sold everywhere, so I could always buy more when I wanted.

I forget how many we had, but it was a ton. I had stocks on each floor of our house, plus the diaper bag, and I didn't want to do laundry constantly, so I always had plenty. She didn't have reflux, but was spitty-uppy for awhile, and they really just came in handy in so many other ways, too. 

Everything we own is washed in free-and-clear detergents. I've tried a few different ones, but I keep going back to the Method brand. I've had trouble with others and not feeling like they get my towels really good and clean. No issues with Method.

Ditto on the gerber cloth diapers. They don't require any special washing. I washed them in our normal Kirkland brand detergent with bleach.

You know that diaper stacker that comes with crib sets? They fit perfectly in there.

Plus, they not only work great as burp cloths, but I used then for diaper changes as well to put under the baby.  

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"